PDA

View Full Version : Those darn tags........

Summer Magic
06-11-2005, 07:11 PM
As you can see from my sig picture Magic has a full white beard. She stays relatively clean with the exception of the area around her collar where the rabies and dog license tags are. It is a requirement (subject to fine) that dogs wear their tags where I live. It makes such a gray dirty mess around that part of her beard it makes me think people believe I don't take care of her properly. I scrub and scrub that area with a crown royal shampoo for dogs, but the aluminum metal stains stay on the hair and even with a vigirous shampoo she still shows the gray dirty hair. Is there anything I can use on her that won't bother her skin but will take this nasty mess away?

buckner
06-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I have no idea what to do about the cleaning of the hair, but do you all not have dog tag covers? I believe I've seen them in various places. It's like a plastic cover for ID tags. Sounds like it would help you tremendously... once you get the colour off.

Kfamr
06-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I know Amy (wolf_Q) had this problem with her Husky, Nebo and tags staining his pretty fur.

She got some sort of tag covers and says that've stayed on and no stains! :)

Summer Magic
06-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys I didn't know there was such a critter out there, I'm goin shoppin for some tag covers!

Giselle
06-11-2005, 08:02 PM
There are leather tagbags available online. They guard the hairs and ensure you don't hear the tags jingle.

http://longdogleather.com/index.cfm?content=54&Menu=28

cyber-sibes
06-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm glad i checked this post - i was brushing Sherman out and thought what a shame that his tags turn his fur gray - he looks dirty around the neck. Think I'll check out some tag covers too!

mruffruff
06-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Try mixing a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of shampoo and apply the mixture to the stains. Let it si for 10 minutes, then bathe as usual.

No guarantees, but it should help.

Honey_28
06-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I buy a whitening shampoo for Deogee ... I'm not sure how well it would be for pups with sensitive skin but it works wonders for those nasty gray spots. I put it on his white parts and let it sit while I wash the rest of him with his normal shampoo :). Little effort and great results !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Honey_28/Dogs/000_12652222.jpg

cyber-sibes
06-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Wow Honey_28 - I don't think I ever saw a picture of Deogee before- what a HANDSOME guy!!!:eek: Do you know what breed/mix he is?

Honey_28
06-11-2005, 09:44 PM
He's a 2 year old Husky/Samoyed Mix :) .

wolf_Q
06-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I've had the same problem with my siberian husky. I've washed and washed with every kind of shampoo and I've never been able to get the stains completely gone. I bought a "quiet spot" tag holder and it has definitely helped with the stains.

LauraT7
06-12-2005, 02:52 PM
The other thing you might try - is to coat the tags with clear nail polish before putting them on your dog's collar- it will seal the aluminum from reacting with the moisture/fur.

I also find that the brass and color-coated aluminum tags don't make as much 'gray', as the color coats the metal. Our county rabies tags ( required to be worn) are blue, so they're not so bad.

laura

Rachel
06-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I am so glad you brought up this subject. My Tucker's is actually allergic to either the metal or the coloring on his tags. He gets a sore spot and loses the fur where the tags lay on his chest. I am going to try out the clear nail polish until I can get some tag covers. The thing I was thinking of was possibly getting the tags laminated?

I swear my dogs use the jingling of the tags to wake me up. Tucker is an early riser and he will shake to jingle those tags until I get up and let him out. Then no more shake/jingling

lv4dogs
06-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I have the same problem. The whitening shampoo helps some, but hardly ever totally gets rid of the stains.
I thought about the tag covers, but I like to hear the tags jingle when we are outside or on hikes, so I know where the dogs are.
So I learned to live with it. lol