PDA

View Full Version : Where do we all come from?

Randi
02-08-2002, 07:13 AM
I thought it might be interesting to see where everybody on Pet Talk come from. I know most are americans - but from which states (or perhaps timezone, to make it easier) - and how about the rest? By the way, I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark.

A poll (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8151) has been set up... well it gone again! ;)

Former User
02-08-2002, 07:16 AM
Well, I come from Finland, but live in Belgium now with my husband who is Belgian, so two countries from us :D
Our cats are also from Belgium ;)

Good topic Randi!

lynnestankard
02-08-2002, 07:45 AM
I come from England - born and bred here!!:D

Do have a daughter, Diane who lives in Chicago with her husband Jason, he's American - born in Chicago.

Lynne

sasvermont
02-08-2002, 09:25 AM
I am American, born here, as were my parents and grandparents, but my great grandparents were not from USA. They were from England, France and Germany. English on my Dad's side and French and German on my Mom's side. I live in Vermont, the northeastern section (New England) of the USA. I love it here. I have travelled outside the continent quite a bit. Home is where your heart is....so I am not partial to any one country or continent. I just like people in general and find everyone's life style(s) facinating. =^..^=

Randi
02-08-2002, 09:59 AM
An absolute brilliant idea! :D but how do we do it?

My husband is actually doing maps professionally if that helps, but you can probably use any world map. It's up to the webmaster to arrange that, I suppose?

Let's wait for responses! :)

ilovehounds
02-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Im from Ontario Canada, born and raised in a little town called Smiths Falls.

What if you got a world map, scanned it took it to a program like paint or photo impact and placed the red dots on it ???

Freckles
02-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Chuck, I did that search and found, with over 2,700 members, only 160plus fit that category. Curious.

gini
02-08-2002, 10:41 AM
I think Pet of the Day has had visitors from all over the globe, but they don't sign on as members. Maybe we could break down the current members list into various states and countries?

aly
02-08-2002, 11:10 AM
I could do that map thing but it'd probably be very crude and look like a preschooler's project!

By the way, I'm American. I'm living in Texas right now and loving it!

NoahsMommy
02-08-2002, 11:58 AM
I live in California, and have been here my whole life. However, my mom is 100% English, my grandparents came to the US on the Queen Mary's last voyage!

Noah and Noel are native Californians too! :)

Albea
02-08-2002, 12:04 PM
I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Came to the USA in 1965 (best thing I ever did in my life) and since then I've lived in New York, Chicago, and now in Connecticut for the last 26 years. I'm an American citizen and very grateful for the oportunities to work in my field, set and costume design, that I found here. I also spent long periods of time in London and Paris, and traveled all over Europe.

LoudLou
02-08-2002, 12:29 PM
I was born in Los Angeles. Livbed there until I was 8 My father had this "Bright":rolleyes: idea to move up to a place called Forks, Wa. Tiny, Tiny Tiny town on Hwy 101. Nice place to visit never want to live there again... Now living in Port Townsend, WA still a small town but closer to civilization than Forks.:D

slleipnir
02-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Born and always live here, PEI canada. a SANDBAR! yeaa ;]

Cynthia
02-08-2002, 02:09 PM
LoudLou,
I believe I passed through "greater Forks" :D on the way to the Olympic National Forest two summers ago. Hiked and camped the Bogachiel River trail with friends from Oregon. Beautiful part of the country!!

Me, I live in Virginia, so I consider the DC area to be home now although I lived in Hawaii and Japan as a child. My mom is from Japan so that's also "home" even though she also lives in Virginia now.

AmberLee
02-08-2002, 02:36 PM
My brother lived in Forks and then in Port Angeles for a while a bunch of years ago.

I'm a northern California native (born in Monterey, CA) and do volunteer work in one of the local genealogical libraries. My most 'recent' immigrant ancestor arrived in the states in 1860 when she was 10 years old. She was born in Brazil (her parents were from the Alsace-Lorraine area). Silly, but I've always felt close to Thelma because of the Brazil connection...

I think a map would be WONDERFUL! Suggestion (which might be WAY to hard to do...): any chance you could make it interactive so that if interested we could 'see' the members' name who corresponds to the location. (i.e. I expect to be travelling on job hunt this spring. If there are PTers in the area, I could sound them out via e-mail and perhaps if they're interested we could have a mini-PT meeting. [Or, :o , at least warn them to stay off the roads when I'm in town. Sigh.])

Freckles
02-08-2002, 03:03 PM
"Location" is one of the entries in our Profiles. AmberLee, are you familiar with Members, Advanced Search? Now, if we could talk Paul into adding "Location" as one of the search fields, you could, for example, type Wa* into that field and get a list of everyone who listed Washington as a location. This might be doable.

zippy-kat
02-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Home-grown in the mountains of West Viriginia...now residing in the land of dirt, tumbleweeds, and roadrunners (New Mexico).

LOL- AmberLee...how'd the eye appointment go? Any more amblin' kitties? :p ;)

AmberLee
02-08-2002, 03:30 PM
I like that idea a lot, Joan! It sounds easier to do than incorporating it with the map, too. Do you think there would be much interest from the rest of the group to do this? (If it's something only I'm interested in it wouldn't be worthwhile for Paul, but???) I think I might open a new thread to take a poll in whether this is of interest to others...

Brilliant idea! So glad you suggested it!

Edwina's Secretary
02-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Born and raised in the Midwest, I have lived in the city of Chicago since...well a while. I left the Midwest to go to school in Tucson and for an assignment in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, but I always come home.

My paternal grandparents immigrated from Slovenia. Since there are less people in the country of Slovenia than in the Chicagoland area, Edwina has chosen to root for the Slovenian athletes at the Olympics. Help "fill out the ranks" so to speak.

AmberLee
02-08-2002, 03:46 PM
:D :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-08-2002, 03:51 PM
If you look closely in the parade of nations tonight you will see her carrying a cat-sized Slovenian flag! I'm so worried she drops it! I had trouble design a holder for her waist (or lack thereof.)

Randi
02-08-2002, 05:05 PM
What have I started here! :eek:

Well, after reading your posts, I must say that Freckles idea about making another field for the purpose, seem to be the most suitable way of doing it, we would only need that one field to fulfill the task. Let's see if Paul or Karen think it's a good idea.. :)

jackiesdaisy1935
02-08-2002, 06:13 PM
I am a Californian by way of Route 66 in the fifties coming from Rhode Island as a teenager with my parents. We settled in a small town at that time called Chula Vista, however we now reside in San Diego.
I have done quite a bit of traveling to Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Virgin Islands, England, France, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, can't think of the other places, but enjoyed them while I was young, now that we are older our enjoyment is playing with our two Schnauzers.
Jackie

auggie
02-08-2002, 07:14 PM
I'm fromGermany , now living in Texas.
Sasvermont, I envy you. I've always wanted to visit beautiful Vermont.

Pam
02-08-2002, 07:23 PM
I was born in Philadelphia, Pa., grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and now live only right over the bridge from Philly in New Jersey. Jackie your travels sound wonderful! I have never traveled outside of the USA.

wolflady
02-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Pam, I'm so glad I'm not the only deprived one that hasn't travelled outside of the US. Well, technically I have...but I don't think it counts. I was technically in Mexico, but I was only there because I went on a carribean cruise that stopped at Cozumel and playa del carmen. I've also been to Canada too, but I've never been overseas. I'd absolutely LOVE to explore my irish heritage and visit Ireland!! The beautiful emerald isle. I recently found out that my great great (I think) grandparents: The O'Shaughnessey's came from county Gallway! How cool is that?? Anywho...I'm your typical heinz 57 human. Born in Detroit, but grew up and lived 20+ years of my life in Columbus, Indiana (1 hour south of Indy). In 1999 I got a job here in the Bay area and moved to Gilroy, California (the garlic capitol...and I ain't kiddin! LOL). Talk about a culture shock!! But I do love it out here so far, and of course....one of the best perks is.....Amberlee lives here!!;) :D :D :D

jackiesdaisy1935
02-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Pam and Wolf Lady, it was great to travel and see all those countries, but if I had it to do over again, I would have loved to visit each of the fifty states. Get to know my own country a little better, so many things to see here.,and people to meet.
Jackie

Rottie
02-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Illinois, USA!!!! :)

LoudLou
02-09-2002, 02:16 PM
What a SMALL world, huh?:D

Cougie Wechsler
02-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Amy was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. John was born and raised in Santa Fe NM. We live in Albuquerque, NM and all of our 4 furbabies are NM cats born in Albuquerque (except Fester who was born in a town 5 hours away called Lovington, NM (Home of Brian Urlacher of the Chicago Bears!!!!!). As far as I know we and Zippy are the only New Mexicans on here and I don't ever remember seeing New Mexico Pet of the Day!

zippy-kat
02-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Cougie Wechsler
Amy was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. John was born and raised in Santa Fe NM. We live in Albuquerque, NM and all of our 4 furbabies are NM cats born in Albuquerque (except Fester who was born in a town 5 hours away called Lovington, NM (Home of Brian Urlacher of the Chicago Bears!!!!!). As far as I know we and Zippy are the only New Mexicans on here and I don't ever remember seeing New Mexico Pet of the Day!

Sophie was POTD 1-25-02 (not that I'll go to my deathbed remembering that date or anything..LOL ;) ).

Lovington?! Hey that's only about 30min from my Parents' house--Hobbs!

Cougie Wechsler
02-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Zippy, I can't believe that we missed Ms. Sophie's special day!!!!!:( Please forgive us and give Sophie some extra treats and loving from us! We will go back and look at her picture.

We were in Hobbs a few weeks ago for a friend's wedding and we also watched the Hobbs High basketball team play a few weeks ago here in Albuquerque. They are always fun to watch!!!

shais_mom
02-10-2002, 12:38 AM
Greetings!
I am from America, Ohio to be exact!

lbaker
02-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Born and raised in the Washington DC area (suburbs) but have driven back and forth across country several times...enjoyed the SW the most. Lived in Marin County (North of San Fransico)on a horse ranch for awhile (almost heaven) and traveled overseas just last yr w/ my son to Amsteradam and took the train for a visit through France and Germany. Been to Mexico while visiting my brother in Mission Beach (San Diego... HI JACKIE:D and a short hop to Canada once. Have a buddy at the Columbia River Gorge area in Washington state where I've spent some time too. Heavenly area. Laurie

AvaJoy
02-10-2002, 05:45 PM
I live in the country; hard to imagine but New Jersey does have plenty of farmland and wilderness, despite its overpopulation in relation to its small size. No immediate neighbors in my neck of the woods and it sure is blissful! :)

Gepansy
02-10-2002, 05:52 PM
I'm from New Mexico.:D

lizbud
02-10-2002, 07:35 PM
I was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. Sounds
real exciting doesnt' it ? LOL. My Maternal Grandparents
were from Galway, Ireland. My Mom was born in the US
on one of their trips over here, but spent her childhood
and early school years in Ireland. My Son & Daughter
and older brother have all been back to ole sod.I have'nt
made it yet.. I have traveled & vacationed all around
the US, mostly south & west.

Gio
02-11-2002, 07:03 AM
I was born in Italy and consider the UK my second home since I lived there for a long time. As far as my origins go, to cut a very long short I'm a mixture since part of my father's family originates from Austria and his mother was half Italian and half Yugoslavian.

C.C.'s Mom
02-11-2002, 09:03 AM
I'm Dutch (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) but live in Germany since 5 years with my German husband. I travel between the 2 countries frequently (and thus I've got 2 countries to go online from).
I've so far lived in the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden and Germany. The hubby has his parents in Vancouver and sisters in New York, I've got a sister in Texas. So, we travel around a lot :)

Our dog has a German mommy and a Dutch daddy.
The cats have no known parents although I'm sure that Rudie is a Celt as his name is Ritter Rudie Weissbrust (Knight Rudie Whitechest), known for his braveness on our lands (garden).

Randi
02-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Nice to see you back CC's mum!

C.C.'s Mom
02-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi Randi!
Yeah, I was back in the Netherlands again and didn't go online so much. Nice to see this thread...

wolflady
02-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
Pam and Wolf Lady, it was great to travel and see all those countries, but if I had it to do over again, I would have loved to visit each of the fifty states. Get to know my own country a little better, so many things to see here.,and people to meet.
Jackie

So true, so true!!! I have to visit Hawaii afterall sometime!!! LOL LOL :D Actually, I've always wanted to visit Maine for some reason...beautiful country up there.

Chuck, how cool!! You got a glimpse, eh? I'd love to see England as well:)

wolflady
02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. Sounds
real exciting doesnt' it ? LOL. My Maternal Grandparents
were from Galway, Ireland. My Mom was born in the US
on one of their trips over here, but spent her childhood
and early school years in Ireland. My Son & Daughter
and older brother have all been back to ole sod.I have'nt
made it yet.. I have traveled & vacationed all around
the US, mostly south & west.

:D Ok, how wierd is this?? LOL LOL Hello neighbor!!! I actually miss Indiana believe it or not. Granted, I do love it out here in Cali, but I really was homesick for the 4 seasons of Indiana when I first moved here. I wasn't used to not having 'weather' like thunder storms and all.
Have you been to Columbus (or Bloomington or Nashville...they're close??)? My maternal great grandparents are from Galway, Ireland too! LOL I wasn't able to find out where my other Maternal Great grandparents were from, but their last name was Minnihan. We should plan a PT trip to Ireland to explore the family roots! LOL LOL;)

thelmalu99
02-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Jumping in a bit late, as usual, but I was born in New York State. Newburgh, to be exact. I grew up here in NYC, and lived in Brazil for almost seven years. That's where my family is from.
AmberLee, I didn't know you had Brazilian relatives! Neat!:D

Randi
04-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Bump - for newcomers. :)

GraciesMommy
04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Born and Raised in Arkansas...USA...but have lived in Texas now for 6 years

CalliesMom
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Father was in the military so we moved every three years. I was born in California, then moved to Florida, Virginia, Texas, Germany (absolutely amazing..would love to live there again), South Dakota, Nevada (LAS VEGAS!!), and he finally retired in California my senior year of high school.

I went to college in Arizona, now living in Alabama...but am moving to North Carolina at the end of July. whew!

slick
04-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Good heavens, I'm replying to a thread that's 3 years old.

Born and raised in Vancouver, BC Canada and I'd never move from here.....that is, unless I'm kidnapped and taken to LA!!!:D

Randi
04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by slick
... and I'd never move from here.....that is, unless I'm kidnapped and taken to LA!!!:D
You WILL be!! :D Hope I can make it too! :eek:

wolfsoul
04-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Kelowna, British Columbia. :) Smack dab in the middle of the Okanagan Valley. Kelowna means Grizzly Bear. I absolutely love it here and would hate to live somewhere else (though I am considering moving to the Lower Mainland -- Langley or Abbotsford). It gets way too hot in the summer, but it hardly ever rains and the scenery is just gorgeous. I love that I live in such a beautiful place.

Here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75179&highlight=kelowna) are some pictures I took on my way to Vancouver. Lots of great pictures of Kelowna. My favourite picture is this one..

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/catarats/VancouverMarch2005010.jpg

tikeyas_mom
04-29-2005, 01:54 PM
I was born in BC Canada, and I still live here ;)

cali
04-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I dont remeber if I replied to this thread its so old lol but I was born in BC and currently live in sask. and plan to move back to BC next summer. :D

davidpizzica
04-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Born and raised and still live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I've been in Calgary, Alberta my entire life. I do like it here but would love to move to BC one day!

Inna
04-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Wow, the world really is small... I thought I was the only one from Finland!:D I´ve lived my hole life (almost 16 yrs) in a little town called Ulvila, but we have moved around Ulvila for three times...

Freckles
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Since this thread is being resurrected for at least the third time, be sure to vote in the poll mentioned in the first post. :)