PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Fever hits my city.......

carole
06-10-2005, 11:16 PM
The city has gone mad yet again, if you don't like Rugby in NZ you are the odd man out,and that is me.

However it is quite fun to see everyone getting dressed up in their colours, and flags up everywhere, this is a big tour the Lions from UK are here playing The Maori All Blacks.

It was crazy in the city today, people everywhere, lots of Lion supporters and men walking around in kilts, not something you see here too often,

The game will have its traditional maori Haka performance and in all it will be a fun night for many.

My son is off to enjoy the evening with his friends, and there is excitement in the air.

Even though I am UK born I have to support NZ, and we are hoping for a nice win.

Oggyflute
06-10-2005, 11:27 PM
The Lions will only win if the Maori's let them mate.:D

A few Maori sidesteps and it will all be over.:D

I'm just about to whatch the Aussies take on the Samoans.

carole
06-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah matey, I hope you guys beat the samoans,enjoy the game, I am not really into the sport myself, but the general excitement in the city is fun, and I like to take part in that, It is like a sin to admit you are not a rugby fan here in the waikato.:D and one does not admit to it or if so very quietly.;)

carole
06-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Trev I can't believe I actually watched the Rugby, as I went over to my parents and my Dad was watching it, and it was really exciting, infact towards the end I had to leave the room, as I was so scared that the Lions would score a try,. but they didn't and WE WON, yahoo, 13-19 to the Maoris, it is the first game we have won out of three since the Lions arrived, so it was neat to see Waikato do it, the city would have been raging last night with celebrations.

Now i understand all the hype that goes with these things.

How did Aussie go with the Samoans mate?

Oggyflute
06-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Good to see the Maori's beating the Lions.:D

The Aussies smacked Samoa 74-7. Had a New Zealand ref that kept the game flowing, and after 20 minutes, the floodgates opened. Most enjoyable.:D

Uabassoon
06-12-2005, 12:52 AM
I love Rugby! I used to play for the womens team in college! I sure miss it. I wish it were televised here more often. It's very rare to catch a rugby game on tv, even if you have digital cable with extended sports channels they don't often air them.

Oggyflute
06-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Isn't there a fox world sports channel you can catch games on mate?

Uabassoon
06-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Isn't there a fox world sports channel you can catch games on mate?

There is, sometimes they will air the rugby world cup but usually only when they get to the final rounds. Sometimes they will air the US playing, but they are usually out by the first round anyways! I also only have regular cable so I don't have the expanded sports channels. Doesn't seem worth to it watch maybe 8 games a year!

Uabassoon
06-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Here I am with two of the girls from the team. I'm the one with the shaved head. Only I don't keep my hair like that anymore!

http://hometown.aol.com/uabassoon/images/rugby.jpg

Oggyflute
06-12-2005, 01:58 AM
It is gaining popularity in the States, so I'm a tad surprised that more games aren't available. Another option for you is to down load games or watch streaming over the net. I have to do this a lot with watching football (soccer). To download you will need a bit-torrent engine. Just do a google search and you should find all the info you need. I have some links that might help if you want.:)

carole
06-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Trev that was an awesome win for you guy's.:)

IRescue452
06-12-2005, 09:39 PM
It hit Wisconsin a few years back but odd sports phase out fairly fast.

Ginger's Mom
06-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Yes Carole, I am not a sports fan either, but it does make a difference when everyone around you is getting excited about a game. So now since they both won, will New Zealand have to play Australia at some point?

carole
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't know for sure, but I don't think there is an upcoming game, but we are well known as friendly and not so friendly rivals Aussie and NZ, aren't we Trev? maybe he might know if there is a game soon.:)

Oggyflute
06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
The Tri-nations is likely on again, so Aus will play NZ at some point. The next three games coming up for the Aussies are against Italy, France, and Sth Africa.

Killearn Kitties
06-13-2005, 06:32 AM
I love it when really major sporting events are hosted and the city fills up with supporters. It makes for a really exciting atmosphere, doesn't it? :D

carole
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Yep one cannot help but get into the hype of it all, not to mention all the money that got spent in the city, always good, the motels and hotels were all fully booked out, even homestays so I believe, they say around 30,000 brits are coming here for the games, my brothernlaw is lucky enough to be going to all the games, and following them all down south.

Killearn Kitties there was only one scot in the Lion's team and he did not play that night, must be why we won eh? lol. see I am still a tad loyal to the land of my birth, just born in me I guess.:D

Oggyflute
06-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Unfortunately guys, Scotland are in a bit of a hole at the moment. They not long ago got rid of the coach, so maybe things will improve.

Lilith Cherry
06-14-2005, 03:51 AM
My husband, ( who was a really hot player in dim and distant youth:D ) loves rugby so much that when there are special international games on he books us into a nice 4star hotel with satellite just so he can watch the action!!!:rolleyes: :D .... here in China we can't get a station on tv that shows it except in an international standard hotel! I get to shop, relax and enjoy myself so I am not complaining at all..... anyway those rugby players have really nice legs LOL;)

gkristian
06-14-2005, 04:44 AM
The Tri-nations is likely on again, so Aus will play NZ at some point. The next three games coming up for the Aussies are against Italy, France, and Sth Africa.
i don't think we'll have a lot of trouble beating them:D

carole
06-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Oh I think us Kiwi's will give you a run for your money, now the cricket, that's another story sigh.:)

Killearn Kitties
06-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by carole
Killearn Kitties there was only one scot in the Lion's team and he did not play that night, must be why we won eh? lol. see I am still a tad loyal to the land of my birth, just born in me I guess.:D

Absolutely, Carole! That will be the only reason. :rolleyes: :D

Unfortunately guys, Scotland are in a bit of a hole at the moment. They not long ago got rid of the coach, so maybe things will improve.

You don't mean that nice Australian that I sometimes hear on the radio, do you? I hope he wasn't the one they got rid of. He always sounded so enthusiastic and good!

gkristian
06-14-2005, 05:37 AM
you ususally do. what i meant though was that the next three games against Italy, France, and Sth Africa should be easy.
And i have no comments about the cricket:D

carole
06-14-2005, 05:42 AM
I kinda thought you meant that:D thanks for not rubbing it in lol.:)

Oggyflute
06-15-2005, 01:52 AM
KK the coach won about one game in twelve, so the writing was on the wall really.

Killearn Kitties
06-15-2005, 03:16 AM
KK the coach won about one game in twelve, so the writing was on the wall really.

Oops! Still better than our recent record in football! :D

Oggyflute
06-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Oops! Still better than our recent record in football! :D

Scotlands football has improved, there's a slim chance of qualification for the World Cup.

Killearn Kitties
06-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Indeed there is, but I wish I was that slim! ;)