PDA

View Full Version : Wall/funnel cloud *pic*

K9soul
06-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm a weather freak LOL. I used to watch those shows with tornado chasers and envy the thrill of it. It's weird because I have never sought "thrills" in anything else like skydiving or canoeing down rapids and such. Anyway, as soon as I heard the tornado sirens going off a bit ago, I had to run out and take a look. I got a decent shot of the wall/funnel cloud though it's partially hidden by trees. It actually looked more ominous in person though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Spring%202005/0610wallcloud1.jpg

dukedogsmom
06-10-2005, 07:45 PM
I hate all weather like that! You would have loved it down here last year. They make me really nervous. I'm not looking forward to it, again. That's a good pic, though.

K9soul
06-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I grew up in the southwest corner of MO which is still part of Tornado Alley. I actually witnessed a tornado once down there but I didn't get a picture of it (though I have pictures of tornado damage). I regret it to this day LOL. We sat and stared at it a moment, then went under the house. It was so out of the blue and unexpected, I think we were just a bit shocked.

This one was pretty unexpected too. There wasn't a speck on the radar and suddenly this formed very quickly.

trayi52
06-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Funny when my Lindsey was younger, she always said she was going to be a tornado chaser. Then we had one here and it killed several people.

Now she is so freightened of storms of any kind. I tell her that now the tornados chase her, instead of her chasing them.

That is a really good picture, a bit scarey to me!

Willie:)

K9soul
06-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I am frightened by them, as I have seen first hand the devastation they can do in neighborhoods near mine (in MO), but they also thrill me. It's so weird, because as I said no other thrill factor attracts me. I can't even watch most thriller/horror movies. I guess it's because it's nature. David called me from work to tell me about the tornado warning right before the sirens went off, and he said "Don't go outside, but I know you will anyway." :rolleyes: He knows me too well.

Oggyflute
06-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Impressive but kind of scary. :eek:

CountryWolf07
06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Impressive but kind of scary. :eek:

I'll agree!

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Very cool picture! But I agree with the others, I'd be a bit scared too. Please stay safe honey!

Fox-Gal
06-10-2005, 11:16 PM
There's something about tornado, scary, but then still an amazing part of nature.

I remember as a child, we had one come right in our front yard, watched it pick up our old oak tree, straight up, then carried it across the yard, a ways, then set it down. Even thought we where scared and I remember our Father saying we need to get to the basement, we all still stood at the window, because it was so amazing, we just couldn't walk away. So I can see how some people can become tornado chasers. Not that I ever would!!!!!

Of course after we watched it drop the oak tree, we came to our senses and went to the basement.

gemini9961
06-10-2005, 11:25 PM
That's a great pic. I live in Hurricane Alley so I get the extreme of hurricanes, woohoo. I have never seen a tornado before or really been in one. We get there here every once in a while but nothing as strong and as big as what you would get in Tornado Alley. Maybe this year I can get some pics of our summer weather, aka HURRICANES!! We actually have Tropical Storm Arlene swirling around out there heading towards Mississipppi area I believe. We are having some gusty winds and rain right now here in Tampa, FL because of her. Anyways, I am also excited with tornados/hurricanes. I don't want to chase them but I like to see pics of them. I guess it's the awesome force of Mother Nature that captivates me.

popcornbird
06-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Cool pic...but scary!!

K9soul
06-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Libby, wow what an amazing story :eek: I know just what you mean by being awed yet scared to death at the same time. They are so powerful and deadly, but utterly unpredictable and uncontrollable.

gemini, I would love to see any pics you get too of the hurricanes, but of course do stay safe! My sister and a good buddy from college both live in FL and have been through hurricanes. My buddy sent me some pictures of the damage from some of the hurricanes last year in his neighborhood. It was spooky, reminded me how it looks when a tornado goes through.

sirrahbed
06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
That is a great picture!! I felt a drop in barometric pressure just looking at it!!

I lived off and on in westTexas and thus lots of tornados. I am scared silly by them, but for some reason, I feel better if I am out watching for it.:rolleyes:

RobiLee
06-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Great picture, Jess. Be careful though. I love storms and always find myself at the window watching them. There have been times when I know I should head for the basement but I'm always drawn to the window to watch. My sister was here once during a very bad storm and tornado warnings and she got so mad at me because I just stood at the back door watching. She gets really scared and I seem to get excited and fascinated.