PDA

View Full Version : Health Update - Lots of personal/GI information - warning!

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I decided to write my GI a letter:

Dear Dr. Daneshgar,

I had some questions after I left your office. I went and had the xray and the tech told me I was "full of it". I assume that meant I had a lot of fecal matter in my colon and small bowel. Thus, proving your theory, right?

I don't want to be in pain. I'm sick to death of being sick all the time. I want to do whatever I can do to feel better. But, have a few questions:

*When the body is used to pain medicine, can it physiologically CREATE pain so that you feel the need to take pain meds? If I'm in remission...there shouldn't be pain, right?

*If the reason for my pain is constipation, how come my pain tends to get WORSE after a bowel movement? Or, when the pain is at its worst and I'm having several bowel movements - to the point of diarrhea?

*To remedy this, I'm going to try to not take any pain meds this weekend. I also wanted to add more fiber to my diet, but I'm supposed to be on the "low/no-fiber/low-residue diet". Can I go off that now?

*Is it safe for me to take Metamucil?

etc...closing.....

He called me and asked me to come down to pick up "Go Lightly"...bowel prep...and a prescription for Glycolax (to be taken daily). Tonight should be SUPER FUN!! But it'll clean me out and maybe that'll help the pain? Who knows. He told me he doesn't know what is causing my pain. I needed to hear that once and for all.

He was really nice...printed out my xray for me from yesturday and sent me on my way. He told me he would be reachable by phone tomorrow if I needed him. He said that I can't stop taking the pain meds...that my body would withdrawl, so he told me to continue taking 1 a day.

I made an appointment with my local internist. He's a really, really good doctor and I need to pursue this. I'm having Dr. Daneshgar's office fax this years records/tests to them. My appointment is June 20th at 11:30 a.m.

I'm allowed to add fiber, but not Metamucil.

Hopefully this will all make me feel better. I dread tonight with my fissure...ugh. Pain meds don't touch that pain...so I'll be in the bathtub a lot.

You know you all want to be me.

RedHedd
06-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh Kelly! This does not sound like a fun weekend for you! I had to take that "Go-Lightly" stuff to prep for a colonoscopy .... you definitely do not "go lightly" (sorry for the bad pun) :rolleyes:

I do hope you are on the way to the end of all this - I know it has not been fun at all.

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
Oh Kelly! This does not sound like a fun weekend for you! I had to take that "Go-Lightly" stuff to prep for a colonoscopy .... you definitely do not "go lightly" (sorry for the bad pun) :rolleyes:

I know...I had the same prep (+ fleet soda) for my colonscopy 2 years ago. I HATED that night. Ugh...I'm so not looking forward to this. :(

I get to go to the hospital tomorrow for Remicade too....fun weekend.... ;) :p

sirrahbed
06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
oh Kelly:( Sure is easy to hear and feel your frustration. Maybe it is time to try some experimenting on your own. Truth is, doctors often don't know a heck of a lot:rolleyes:

I hope you learn *something* this weekend and that is is not too miserable to give it a go.

I am sorry you have to deal with all of this. ((((HUGS))))

wolflady
06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Gosh, that sounds miserable! :(
Pamper yourself in that beautiful tub with lots of bubbles over the weekend! I'll be calling you! :p

**hugs**

trayi52
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Kelly, sorry you are having to go through all this. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Willie

Karen
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh, dear. We'll be keeping you in our prayers.

kuhio98
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I sure hope you feel better soon. How refreshing for a doctor to "finally" admit that they don't have all the answers. I hope this latest round of tests indicates a positive direction to try.

Lisa

catmandu
06-10-2005, 07:39 PM
KELLY,I HOPE,THAT ALL THIS,YOU ARE GOING THROUGH,WILL BE WORTH IT,IN THAT YOU RECOVER YOUR GOOD HEALTH,AND ARENO LONGER,IN THAT AWFUL PAIN.GEM ANGEL,IS COMING,TO VISIT YOU,TO HELP YOU THROUGH,AS THIS POOR CAT,SADLY WENT THROUGH A LOT,OF PAIN.HE WILL HELP,YOU.AND KNOW,THAT WE ARE PRAYING,FOR YOU.

catnapper
06-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry that the pain is still bad and that the meds don't help anymore. I wish I could do something to make it all better. Gentle {{{{HUGS}}}} to you.

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you for your concern, prayers and hugs, guys. :) It really does help to know you all care.

Hugs back.

luvofallhorses
06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Kelly,

I wish you didn't have to go through this :( I hope you get to feeling better soon. I will be praying and thinking of you tomorrow. ((((hugs)))))

moosmom
06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Kelly,

Boy is THAT a shock. A doctor actually ADMITTING he's stumped as to what is causing your pain!! :eek:

Honey, take care tonight. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Take it easy when you get home and please, keep us posted!!!

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))) and lots of love,

Donna

K9soul
06-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Kelly, have you ever tried any holistic or homeopathic doctors to help with pain? You know, it's weird because I do medical transcription day in and day out, typing about people just like you, and I find instead of a greater faith in conventional medicine, I have more and more skepticism and mistrust. The bad thing is most insurance companies will not cover "non conventional" doctors and methods. I wish I had some answers to help you, but I can only offer my sympathies and my prayers as you continue to struggle with this miserable condition. You have such a wonderful attitude despite all you've been through, it's truly inspiring.

Corinna
06-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Kelly you know we are all there for you(not the tub but) Praying for you. What a way to party on a friday! Hope you stocked up on good magazines.
Seriously hope this all helps you. I had a problem with consapation(a diabetic concern or the oppisite a lot) last week so bad my back hurt. I ate lots of kidney beans and polish susages. after 2 days no more back ach.

anna_66
06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Kelly your such a sweet girl and I hate that you keep having such terrible problems with pain:( It's nice that your dr admitted that he's stumped, but it doesn't help you at all now does it:o
Don't sound like this weekend is going to be so much fun, so I hope it goes fast for you.
Many {{{Hugs}}} for you.

chocolatepuppy
06-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Kelly, I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this pain. :( I hope you get some answers soon! I will be thinking of you this weekend.

RobiLee
06-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Kelly, I hate that you have to go through this. I feel so bad for you. I love your attitude though. You always seem to be upbeat and do what you have to do. Hang in there, girl! We are all thinking of you.

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks, guys...you're all very kind.

I've chosen to be positive...and God has helped with that. Its nicer to be around a positive patient vs. a grumpy patient...IHO.

And....look at all the 'hands on' stuff I'm learning about before I even get to med school!! ;) I'm so lucky!! ;)

OK...getting ready to drink my 1/2 gallon of liquid...slowly, as per doctors orders...lucky me!

Ugh...ick...:rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
06-10-2005, 10:51 PM
ugh....do I really have to drink ALL of this??

Its only 2 liters...but still. GROSS!!

Its like drinking salt water...and then a "lovely" fake lime taste once you swallow.

Ich...yuck...:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

carole
06-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Kelly Bowel problems are no laughing matter, although people think it funny to joke about them, they make one's life miserable and I am very concerned to hear how bad a time you are having lately, you are indeed getting a rough deal honey.

I have heard Aloe Vera juice is good to drink, just to keep your stomach and bowels in a better state, have not tried it myself , but it has been recommended to me for my IBS, I know you are suffering from something different, but just thought it might help you as well, might be worth a try.

Good luck Kelly, BTW I also have heard ungvita Vitamin A cream is helpful for those painful fissures, it helps heal them and is a little soothing.

shais_mom
06-10-2005, 11:19 PM
hugs to you love
what a rotten way to spend the weekend... :(

smokey the elder
06-11-2005, 07:39 AM
You poor thing! I hope they can find out what's going on. Autoimmune problems are terrible since your body is at war with itself. I know you're sick of taking drugs, but there's this new "nuclear option" for pain that just came out. Also, you might want to check out acupuncture, reiki, etc. Autoimmunes are the ultimate out-of-balance condition, and the Eastern practices are all about restoring balance.

Good luck!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Its only 2 liters...but still. GROSS!!

Its like drinking salt water...and then a "lovely" fake lime taste once you swallow.
...:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Poor you! I hope it will over soon !
I had to drink that too the evening before my major spine-operation. I think I spent almost 3 hours that toilet.... :eek: :(

neko1
06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Gosh, I'm really sad that you have to go through all of this. I hope that everything will work out for you. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I am with K9soul regarding doctors. I think everything that happens in your bowels is very close to your whole personality: it is scientifically proven that thinking and feeling is not only a brain thing but also a stomach and bowel thing.

(Whenever I'm stressed I have problems myself- this is why I read about it- although it cannot compare to what you are going through).

So there may be a long way in front of you as the doctor doesn't find a reason for your pain- but I send you all my best wishes to help you on that way.

NoahsMommy
06-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, its wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Nothing "started" until this morning when I was getting ready for my Remicade appointment.

My doctor came to see me and asked how I was. I told him....I still had pain, in fact, I awoke with the pain. That is gets worse after I "go". He then told me again he wasn't sure why I was having this pain.

So, at least we know its not the pain meds...

Next? ;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still in pain and still don't have any answers.:( I'm glad that you have a positive attitude beause this will help you a great deal. I sure hope that your problem can be fixed soon so you can be pain free again. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

slick
06-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh Kelly, I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you. To be in constant pain is something I've never had to deal with. I wish I could offer up some instant cure for you but all I have to give is my love and support.

I thought it was rather strange for him to suggest that the pain meds could be causing the pain. :confused: At least that's determined now.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you my friend and thanks for the email.
slick xoxo