PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jen L. and WolfQ & prof. groomers

Pam
06-10-2005, 06:17 AM
I know you both groom professionally and I was wondering if you could tell me the brand of clippers that you use in your shops. My Oster is heating up quicker than ever and it is so frustrating to have to be stopping for it to cool down. Of course it is about 20 years old so I can't say it hasn't served me well! :p With two dogs to groom each month it is starting to get on my nerves because it takes me forever to get through their grooming with all of the stopping I have to do. :)

I have been reading up on newer Osters and Andes. Which brands have you used and do you have any opinions on what I should be looking at? Thank you. :)

Pam
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
**BUMP**

Shelteez2
06-10-2005, 09:11 PM
This is gonna sound awful....but I've never even paid attention to what kind of clippers we use at work....lol I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.... You might also want to ask at the other board if you haven't already as I'm sure they have quite a few opinions on the subject.....:)

Kfamr
06-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Amy doesn't get on that often lately, but if I see her on AIM and she hasn't responded to this thread yet, i'll be sure to give her a link.

I *THINK* she orders a lot of her supplies from petedge.com, I could be wrong though. They are rather inexpensive there. :)

wolf_Q
06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Mine are Andis....they are an older pair I bought from another groomer, they still work really well. Everyone where I work uses Andis clippers. I think mine are a normal 2-speed, they are in petedge. Do you use clipper cool? That works well to cool them down, we use the Andis or Oster brand of that...there's another kind that's cheaper we've used but it doesn't work nearly as well.

*edit*
What I would get if I bought a new pair (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3210&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=3210&AS=1)
Clipper cool (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2629&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2629&AS=1)

dukedogsmom
06-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I've got a cheap pair of Osters for the horse. Are there any of these that I could use for his bridle path and whiskers? These have crapped out pretty quickly.

wolf_Q
06-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't know anything about grooming horses :o but I'd imagine they would work.

jenluckenbach
06-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I personally use Oster. Have your clippers been serviced? Oiled, greased, cleaned and parts replaced? Especially a part they call "brushes". Worn brushes will make a clipper heat up fast.
some of the other groomers use Andis. They are cooler running. I just don't like the feel of them in my hands. (set in my ways, I guess).

Pam
06-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
You might also want to ask at the other board if you haven't already as I'm sure they have quite a few opinions on the subject.....:)

I have asked there and the answers were mixed. One brand (very expensive) was even mentioned that I never heard of. Someone mentioned Laube as a possibility too and I had never heard of them either. :o I was just wondering in particular what was used in a shop where they get LOTS of use. :) I think am leaning toward Andis...

Jen, I know the blades need to be sharpened and in the past I took them to a man that my vet uses to sharpen his blades for surgery. I left a message on that man's voice mail a month or so ago, and he never called me back. I don't want to bug him. :o I do use lubricating oil and Cool Lube spray. Didn't even know about brushes. :o

What I find myself doing is giving the dogs a break and putting the clipper in the refrigerator. :rolleyes: I groomed Bella yesterday and it takes hours when the clippers get hot. Today is Ripley's day. :) I wish I could do them both in one day but just can't. Then again I am probably too old to do two dogs in one day. Certainly with baths added in! LOL!

PS - Thanks KayAnn for contacting Amy and Amy thanks for your thoughts on this. :)

Giselle
06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Ah! That's it! I think conformation people use Laube. I would look into that brand if I were you.

Freckles
06-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Didn't know about brushes. :o

Pam, brushes are just part of an electric motor. Part of the maintenance procedure.

Rachel
06-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Pam

What I find myself doing is giving the dogs a break and putting the clipper in the refrigerator. :rolleyes: I groomed Bella yesterday and it takes hours when the clippers get hot. Today is Ripley's day. :) I wish I could do them both in one day but just can't. Then again I am probably too old to do two dogs in one day. Certainly with baths added in! LOL!

Ahh yeah, add a few more years and that won't be a *probably*, at least if I am any indication. Trying to do two dogs in one day...you'd have to put ME in the refrigerator.

wolfsoul
06-12-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
This is gonna sound awful....but I've never even paid attention to what kind of clippers we use at work....
Same here lol. :o

Pam
06-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Same here lol. :o

LOL! My office "went computerized" back in 1994. About six months afterwards, hubby asked me what type of computer I was working with and what kind of monitor. I had no idea! :o So I can see why others don't pay attention to all of the details at their workplace! LOL!

wolf_Q
06-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Are your clippers ones with detachable blades? You can always buy more of the same blade and switch them out when one gets hot.

Pam
06-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes Amy my blades are detachable. I was happy to read that the Andis clippers accept Oster blades. Apparently it isn't that way with Oster accepting Andis blades. I still have a lot more reading to do. I wish I could go and look at them in person, rather than just on line. I guess that is my next step and also getting hubby's input as he also occasionally grooms. In the past he did almost all of the grooming but now I pretty much do it since I only work part-time.

jenluckenbach
06-12-2005, 04:48 PM
The Oster clipper works with the Andis blades. And it is not only the blade that get hot. Yes, you could change blades, but when the motor heats up the clipper runs slower.

LuvGold00
06-12-2005, 10:05 PM
I learned to groom with Osters, and have used them ever since. I also use "clipper cool" if they get too hot, and always have 2 clippers plugged in so I can switch to another when one gets too hot. :)