PDA

View Full Version : Something's wrong with Riley tonight :(

LuckiLab03
06-09-2005, 10:10 PM
We took Riley to the vet at 1:30pm this afternoon and she got her rabbies shot and some other one. Around 4, I told my mom it looked like she got attacked by bees because there were these huge bumps on her snout. Mom called the vet back and they said to bring her in and they gave her a shot of benedryl and steroids. Since then, the bumps have been getting bigger and now they've formed into one huge hive. It looks like theres a mountain on her snout, her face is all swelled up and around her whisker patch, it's puffy/swollen and harder than it usually is. Dr. Kyle said this type of reaction to shots happens 1/100 dogs. She's had this same shot before though and she had nothing.

Kyle said to watch to see if she's having trouble breathing and she isn't. She also gave her cell phone number to call if it kept on getting bigger.. which is has.. but she's not answering her phone. Riley is acting fine.. she didn't recognize me and mom (at first) a few times when we came down the stairs (see my last thread) but Kyle said her eyes were fine.

I'm really worried though. Mom and Dad want to watch her overnight.. but I want her to get checked out. They don't want to bring her to the emergency vet and get charged if they can't do anything.. if it will get better on its own.

I'm crying here because this is reminding me of what happened with Brooke. Brooke started going downhill with reactions and we couldn't reach Kyle on the number she gave us, we waited a while and took her to the emergency vet and then things just snowballed from there. I don't want to take a chance. Kyle said Riley's brother had the same thing and his went away but I still am very very worried and I know I won't be able to sleep AT ALL tonight. It's taking over her face.

I know we all say "just to be careful, take her in" but they just want to wait or something. I don't want to go with her to the vet though because just the thought of going there again (where brooke died.. it has a very distinct smell that's burned into my memory), worrying about another one of my babies will give me a panic attack. I don't know if I'm overreacting or not but I'm freaking out. :( :( :(

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/luckilab03/6-8to6-10009.jpg

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/luckilab03/6-8to6-10043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/luckilab03/6-8to6-10059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/luckilab03/6-8to6-10055.jpg

luvofallhorses
06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
:( Please get better soon Riley. (((((hugs to the both of you)))))))

Corinna
06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
If his brother had it too then please just take a breathe. I know its scary and feels like a rerun but have faith in your vet. Hugs to you and Riley. It takes time for hives( reactions) to get better.

chocolatepuppy
06-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Pawsitive thoughts headed Rileys way! Hopefully she'll be better soon!

petslover
06-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I am sorry to hear about Riley. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

gemini9961
06-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh Riley please get better.

dukedogsmom
06-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Poor Riley. I hope she'll be alright. Are her eyes swollen shut or is she just sleeping? I'd probably want to take her back to the vet but that's me being paranoid. I'm sure as long as she's breathing well that she'll be better in the morning. Kiss her on the nose for me.

Oggyflute
06-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Get better soon Riley. Postive thoughts that she will be OK.

Vette
06-10-2005, 04:02 AM
:eek: Oh poor girl.

all paws and fingers crossed her for you and your pooch!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-10-2005, 04:15 AM
poor Riley - how is she now?

Ginger's Mom
06-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Oh poor Riley. I hope you both got a good night sleep and are feeling better this morning.

k9krazee
06-10-2005, 06:09 AM
How are you feeling Riley girl??

lv4dogs
06-10-2005, 08:14 AM
How is Riley this morning?
Sending you the best of thuoghtsfor a better Riley! :)

beeniesmom
06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
poor baby!
i hope you get better soon!

LorraineO
06-10-2005, 09:00 AM
oh dear!!!! That looks awful!! my heart just did a flip flop,,,, please keep us up to date on how he is doing!!

PJ's Mom
06-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Poor girl. :( I hope she gets better soon.

anna_66
06-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Riley sweetie, how are you doing this moring? Better I hope.

Brooke, Angus's nose did that a couple of times before. I think maybe he was stung by something, but it looked just like Riley's looks. I hope it's all better this morning.

{{{BIG HUGS}}} to you both.

Logan
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Bless his heart. I would still like to kiss that sweet nose. Hope all the swelling is gone this morning.

Logan

pnance
06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
How's Riley this morning? Hope feeling better? If it helps, Nikka had something very similiar to what you describe. Her nose was huge and one eye was swollen completely shut. The vet thought she was stung by something. Benadryl didn't do anything so they gave her a couple of shots, but it still took a few days for the swelling to start going down and over a week for her face to get back to normal.

Wishing you the best. Keep us posted

senorita02
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
My RB Border Collies nose did that once too, she was stung by a bee on her nose and it looked the same way, lasted a few days then was gone.
PLease get better Riley!!!
Let us know ASAP.

KYS
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Sheba looked like that when she got a spider bite
on her muzzle.
I hope it isn't a re-action
to the shot.

How is Riley doing today?

shais_mom
06-10-2005, 11:24 AM
wow
poor you and poor Riley Baby

how is she today?

LKPike
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
ewww oh Riley :( that looks terrible :( we've got our paws and fingers crossed for you ~*hugs*~

luvofallhorses
06-10-2005, 01:33 PM
How's Riley today? I am still praying for you both that everything is okay ((((hugs)))))

vinjashira
06-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I hope she has got better...

finn's mom
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Any news on how Riley is doing? I hope she's feeling better....

LuckiLab03
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks for you all being concerned about her :)

Last night around 3:45am, it kept on getting bigger and she was getting hives on top of her head and her eye was starting to get swollen in the corner, so we brought her to the emergency vet. They said it was an allergic reaction to some combination of the shots she had that afternoon. They gave her some fast acting steroids and more benedryl (a low dose that wouldn't exceed the safe amount for the day). The vet watched her with us for about 20 minutes and it really started going down.

The swelling is down probably about 90%. The big bump on her nose is gone.. the left side of her snout is still puffy and sort of hard. Her snout is just a little puffy in general still, but she's OK. She's exhausted from all the medicine in her AND from being up until 5am. She's a WHOLE lot better today though. We think her tongue must still be swollen because when we gave her a treat she took it very gentley and when she kisses us it feels like a cat kiss.

Thanks for all the paw crossings and feel better's! Riley says thank you :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Oh, I just saw this. But I'm glad Riley's feeling better! Whatever that was--bee stings or whatever--looked like it really hurt!:( I'm glad you're recooping though sweet Riley!!:)

Kfamr
06-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm just now seeing this. Thank gosh she's almost better!

I wonder what that was from? Dogs sure like to worry us a lot, don't they? Hugs to sweet Riley.

luvofallhorses
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
I am glad she's doing better! :) Gentle hugs to the beautiful girl :)

ramanth
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hugs to Riley. I'm glad she's getting better.

Kia nearly died having an allergic reaction to a medicine. Scary stuff.

chocolatepuppy
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm happy to hear Riley is better! :)

bestinshow
06-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi LuckiLab03,

We are very glad to hear Riley is doing ok!! You have entered riley in our Best In Show contest and we loved the pictures that you sent. Our feelings here was of some were sad and some were mad. The people that were mad was upset that the vet gave the shots and didn't know how much to give or the reactions of some drugs when they interact with another.

We give a HUGE applaud to the emergency vet for fixing something that could have easily turned this thread into something worse. Now! A message to Riley...Keep your health up because we need you to strut your stuff in the contest!:p

GoldenRetrLuver
06-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Aw, poor Riley. I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. It must have been scary for you guys.

Give her a hug for me! :)

Ginger's Mom
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Poor Riley. I am glad to hear that she is doing better. She looked so sad last night. I hope she continues to improve.

lizbud
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Wow, what a terrible reaction to have. I'm so glad Riley was
checked out so quickly. The swelling is really visable in the pics.
Hope she's feeling much better now.

wolf_Q
06-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm glad to hear Riley is doing better! Nebo's nose swoll up like that once too I called the vet and they said most likely he was stung by a bee.

Cinder & Smoke
06-11-2005, 02:10 AM
:confused:

Originally posted by LuckiLab03

We took Riley to the vet...
... and she got her rabbies shot and some other one. ...

Exactly WHAT "shots" did she get???

Did she possibly get the 6-month Heartworm preventative injection -
called "ProHeart 6" ??

That stuff was taken off the market after MANY dogs got sick (Kim's Kia
was one); and some died after getting a ProHeart 6 injection.

The stuff has just recently been put back on the market, and
Vets are using it again as a Heartworm preventative.

Also - SOME dogs DO have severe reactions to the "standard"
multi-purpose yearly vaccination shot -
you should discuss this with your primary Vet - possibly Riley
should NOT get yearly vaccinations.

/s/ Phred

Rachel
06-11-2005, 06:40 AM
I think Phred has the right idea. You do want to have personal knowledge of just what shots were given during that initial visit, so you know exactly what to avoid in the future. This was just too scary to have to encounter again.

How fortunate that you were able to get the relief Riley needed from that last vet visit.

senorita02
06-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Im so glad Riley is doing better!!!
Yippeee :D

delidog
06-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Just saw this...
Poor Riley...Scaring Mommy like that
Glad she is doing better...
I agree w/Phred...Find out what it was that shes' allergic to..
Don't use Pro-Heart....
Just ask Kias'Mommy
Bad Stuff

Pawsitive Thinking
06-17-2005, 04:27 AM
So glad to hear she is feeling better! :-)

RobiLee
06-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Glad to hear Riley is better. big hugs for her!