PDA

View Full Version : Baby rabbits?

CagneyDog
06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Over the last couple weeks I have been seeing tons of baby rabbits. They are all over my neighbourhood. Unfortunately, they are not wild rabbits :( I don't even know how they have survived the last few weeks, It has been very cold and rainy.

I don't know anything about rabbits, but I really want to help them. Do you guys have an suggestions of what I should for them?

jackie
06-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Aww, thats horrible, I think the only thing you can do is call the spca and see if the can do anything.

Suki Wingy
06-09-2005, 09:46 PM
you can rent have-a-heart traps from the local spca usually and leave them out with food and water and check them daily. If you have any, bring them to a good shelter! We have TONS of big wild bunnies in our neighborhood.

IRescue452
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Is there a profit bunny breeder in the area or somebody who has lots of pet rabbits running around their back yard? I'd try to find the soure and also catch the babies. I hate seeing crows get the wild ones. I can't imagine the chances of a baby domestic surviving on its own.

CagneyDog
06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
There is no one that I know of that is breeding rabbits.

I haven't seen a mother yet and I spent 1 hour searching. I also counted 13 babies, and there could easily be more hiding. I thought the babies would stick around eachother but they are all pretty spread apart:confused:

Aren't rabbit litters a little smaller? So I wonder if there is more than one litter out there?

Corinna
06-09-2005, 10:31 PM
I will maake you a bet that someones cute Easter bunnies got big and oops cages got left open. You are probley seeing the results of the bunnies being loose and breeding, If they are hopping around then they are old enough not to need mom as they will keep them close by. I would get a haveaheart trap and get them to a bunny rescue or to your local shelter. If you can find some one (try a 4-H club your local dept of agrucultrue ) who can tell you the sexes so you can seperate them and keep them from breeding . Rabbit will start at 10-12 weeks (just after weaning)