PDA

View Full Version : Duh!

catnapper
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Not that I ever take joy from one of my kids' failues but this one is just too much of a DUH moment to not laugh at....

My son took his driving permit test last year and failed it over this question:
If you saw a blind person while you were driving, what would you do
a) speed up and pass them
b) proceed with caution
c) get out of the car and help them

My son answered c. Well, for months we joked about that question and just teased him something fierce about it. How obvious can the answer be?

So, he took the same test again Wednesday morning... same exact questions... and he got the same exact answers wrong. Yup, once again he'd help the blind person. :rolleyes:

If anything, I can be proud we raised a socially conscious young man who has compassion for others. On another hand, I have to shake my head and wonder what he was thinking. Did he not remember those months of teasing over him getting out of his make-believe car and helping a blind person?

LOL... gotta love my son and wonder where his brains are at times! :D

caseysmom
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Well that does seem like a really dumb question. I think your son is correct:)

popcornbird
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I remember having that question when I took my permit test, and I was soooooooo tempted to check the last one (he he he), but didn't, because I knew it wasn't correct, and my goal at the time was to get it over with and get my permit. :D

Mutt_Maniac
06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I think its kinda funny! The answer is plain as day but I would say taht the CORRECT answer would be c. but on that particular test the right answer would not be c.

Killearn Kitties
06-10-2005, 03:55 AM
:D :D What a sweet boy!

moosmom
06-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Catnapper,

Well, I'd at LEAST give him credit for being a conscientious, good samaritan.

ramanth
06-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Awww! I was one question away from failing my driver's written test. The question was about what the speed is in a construction zone if no signs are posted. I chose the slowest speed (45 mph) since I didn't know the right answer. The correct answer was actually 55 mph, but the woman let me pass since I showed good judgement. :D

gkristian
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
we don't get that question down here in australia. i had my drivers test about 5 months ago and there was nothing like it. there wasn't anything regarding a blind person in the "Road Rules" book eather

Sweetness
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
AWWW! How old is your son and where do ya'll live? I am just joking but that was sweet he'd help out though.

Karen
06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Tell him he's sweet, and you love him to bits, but ...

Did it ever occur to him that the person wouldn't necessarily need help just because s/he is blind? Many blind people, or other "differently abled" as my friend Larry with Cerebral Palsy prefers, individuals are quite self-sufficient, and might be upset by his assault on their independence - so "proceeding with caution" is the BEST answer!

jennifert9
06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I think he is sweet!! Maybe he picked that answer the second time around to take a stand..... :D

LKPike
06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't get it at all, but every boy that came in to take the test the same day I went ~*ALL*~ failed. The only to pass was me and another girl. At first I felt bad that boys have to pay higher insurance but now? not so much :p. that test was really too easy, imo.

catnapper
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Tell him he's sweet, and you love him to bits, but ...

Did it ever occur to him that the person wouldn't necessarily need help just because s/he is blind? Many blind people, or other "differently abled" as my friend Larry with Cerebral Palsy prefers, individuals are quite self-sufficient, and might be upset by his assault on their independence - so "proceeding with caution" is the BEST answer!

Don't I know it! My dad acutally has Cerebral Palsy, and has been out of work for a while now. He has a Masters in Finance and Marketing, yet when he lost his job a decade ago, he could only find work as a security gaurd in a bank. He recently lost THAT job and REFUSES to go to OVR (Office of Occupational Rehabilitation) and get their help in finding him a job - thats their job, thats why they exist, to help people like dad. but he flat-out refuses beause he wants to get a job on his own. He does not have a handicapped license plate (which annoys mom bcause she'd like to just once park there when in a hurry ;) ) and he goes about life like he's normal and healthy in every way. He's a good man and has shown the kids a good example.

Randi
06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I think your boy is very sweet. :) If he had the rest of the answers right, they should have let him pass! Go and spoil him! :D