PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for a duet of dogs

Giselle
06-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Do you know of any?

I have a BYB Pekingese who I would swear is part Tibbie. As such, he's a natural hurdler, and I've taught him some backyard agility. He knows a multitude of commands and I'd like to teach him some tricks with Giselle. Giselle is my ex-racer, who, so far, only knows the Basic 5 LOL. We're workin on it...

At any rate, I've taught Giselle to Down and Lucky will hurdle back and forth over her. Now I'm wondering what other tricks are out there that are geared specifically towards a duet of dogs. Oh and one thing, the tricks must not require the larger dog to Sit for an extended period of time. Thanks much!

Kater
06-09-2005, 04:22 AM
When I saw this thread I went to get my copy of How To Teach Your Dog To Talk by Captain Haggerty. I found two tricks in the "Tricks for the Multidog Family" chapter that might fit the bill.

*Take Off Blindfold : This is a variation on retrieving exercises. With one dog blindfolded and in the sit-stay position, another dog, on command, pulls the blindfold off the first dog. This blends beautifully into the Balance and Catch blindfold trick.

*Crawl Under : In this trick, one dog is put in the stand position and the second dog is told to crawl underneath the first dog. Obviously Lucky would be the one doing the crawling. ;) I think this one would be super cute! :D

Also if the title of the book intrigued you, you might be interested to know that Pekes do well vocalizing the letters G, U, and W. :p

I'd be happy to type out more detailed information (from the book) about how to train your doggie duo to do these tricks, so let me know which, if any, interest you. :)

Giselle
06-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh, the Take Off Blindfold sounds cute! Lucky would be the one sitting blindfolded while Giselle takes off the cloth, for obvious reasons. The crawling trick wouldn't work, though. Lucky can easily walk beneath her ;)

Giselle knows Target. Is that an essential in the blindfold trick? I've love instructions! Thanks much.

Kater
06-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
The crawling trick wouldn't work, though. Lucky can easily walk beneath her ;)
I realize this, but that's what would make it so cute! :D I can see how it might be hard to motivate Lucky to crawl though...

Take Off Blindfold
"TAKE IT!" "TUG!" "TASSELS!"

This is a variation on retrieving exercises. With one dog blindfolded and in the sit-stay position, another dog, on command, pulls the blindfold off the first dog. The secret is to have the blindfold tied with a bow behind the blindfolded dog's head. Removal can be facilitated through the use of tassels on either end of the blindfold. Train the second dog to grab the tassels and pull.

1. Pretrain the second dog to pull on the tassel before even putting the blindfold on the other dog. This is done by offering the second dog the tasseled end of the blindfold and saying "Take It!" When she does, say "Tug!"

TUG : If there is a nearby fancy-coffee shop that sells in bulk, try to get your hands on one of the burlap bags in which their coffee beans were shipped. An alternative is to go to a fabric shop and buy couple of yards of burlap. It won't be as heavy and hardy as the coffee bags, but it will do.

1. Entice her as you give her the command "Tug!"
2. Pull and twist the sack so she gets pleasure from it. (Be careful how much you twist her head and neck. You don't want to injure her.)
3. When you're reading to stop, command her to "Stop!" at which point you "will" her to continue to pull on the sack but not twist and turn.
4. Pause and wait until she calms down before you tell her "Out!" which means let go. She probably will be reluctant to do this, but if she does, give her a treat and simultaneously click.
5. The offer of the treat will cause her to release the burlap in order to eat.
6. The food reward is really important here. If she's slow to release, force her mouth open, gently remove the sack and then give the food reward.

2. You'll later change the command to "Tassel!" Your pretraining blindfold should have a tassel on one end only, and the dog will only grab the tasseled end.

3. After working the dog on grabbing the tassel two dozen times, offer both ends. Should the dog attempt to go toward the plain end, give a cautionary "No!" If she succeeds in grabbing it, give her a sharp "No!"
The work blindfold will have tassels on both ends. In the actual blindfolding, as long as the dog grabs either tassel, the bow will open. The pretraining's purpose is to make sure the dog doesn't grab the bow rather than the end. After the actual removal of the blindfold, click and treat.
- How To Teach Your Dog To Talk by Captain Haggerty

Kfamr
06-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I taught Simba to stay with a treat in his mouth, while I tell Nala to take the treat (and for Simba to allow it)

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I taught Simba to stay with a treat in his mouth, while I tell Nala to take the treat (and for Simba to allow it)

That's a cool trick! I'll havta think of some myself...:o:p