PDA

View Full Version : Hartz Products

elizabethann
06-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Look what I just found on our local TV website:

Hartz Mountain Corp. will stop production of several flea and tick products that may have caused numerous deaths in cats and kittens, Houston television station KPRC reported Wednesday.

The change includes the following pet product brand names:
Hartz Advanced Care 4 in 1 Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care 3 in 1 Flea & Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care Once-A-Month Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens

Hartz agreed to relabel and then stop production at the insistence of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the agency said.

In the short term, the agreement calls for immediate relabeling of the products. The new labeling will state that the products are not to be used on the most vulnerable animals, including cats and kittens that weigh less than 6 pounds, cats older than 13 years, or kittens less than 5 months old.

Hartz will stop all new production of the cat and kitten products by Sept. 30, 2005, and not sell or distribute any affected product after Dec. 31, 2005.

"EPA is taking this action because there are safety concerns with these products," said Susan B. Hazen, principal deputy assistant administrator at EPA. "Pet owners should be alerted to these concerns, and may choose to transition to alternative products. We take seriously our obligation to ensure that pesticide products, when used as labeled, are safe."

The company agreed to a prohibition on any remaining retail sales by March 31, 2006. This orderly transition allows consumers and distributors to move to alternatives flea and tick products and will be strictly monitored.

Hartz will also be notifying its distributors and retailers of the changes in order to ensure a workable phase out.

aly
06-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I heard that earlier today and I was THRILLED that it is finally off the market.

Vette
06-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah. i agree.. i wonder how many dogs and cats were lost because of this. :(

Suki Wingy
06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I am GLAD too! We have our own Hartz mystery! NiƱo had always used hartz shampoo, and was having mysterious seizures every 6 months or so. We took him straight to the vet after his last one (Almost a year and a half ago) for a diagnosis and it was that he had a mild case of epilepsy that occurs in humand and dogs, where he will randomly have a short seizure every 6 to 8 months. We never linked the two together untill I hear the Hartz stories. I will ask the vet today when he has his anual.