PDA

View Full Version : Bad memory, bad eyes, or really protective?

LuckiLab03
06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
In the past few months Riley has been barking/growling at us, raising her hackles in that scared voice. She'll get all tall and grumble in her throat. It's happened about 6 times, all to us. I'm wondering if she's getting bad eyes (doesn't seem like it at all), bad memory or if its the circumstances..like she's feeling really protective.

I was watching TV downstairs at night with Riley and my dad comes down the front staircase, where it's really dark. Riley sees his shadow and is growling and barking, but even when he's talking she doesn't recognize him. (he's usually in the basement all day though.. she doesn't see him A LOT like us)

My mom was outside the porch (slightly hidden) watering the flowers and Riley saw someone (her) outside and she was barking/growling out on the porch at her, my mom sprayed her a little with the hose and she ran back inside, scared. (Riley sees her almost every minute of the day)

My brother was on the porch on the phone and she saw him from inside. She could see most of him but when I opened the door she kept on backing away.. even when I told her to "get him!" she hesitantly went out there and then saw him all the way and then recognized him. (He's at work until 6:30pm.. but she knows him)

The other day, my mom and I were in the kitchen, Riley was watching us, and she put on a mardi gras mask.. and Riley barked all scared, then she took it off and she was okay.

I was trying on a bathing suit yesterday and I came down and she did the same thing until I started talking and I called her to me. Today I came downstairs with wet hair and she did the same thing!

Other times she recognizes us and is so happy to see us, but just a little modification to us and she freaks out.

bckrazy
06-08-2005, 02:36 PM
thats really wierd.... it could be her sight. Maybe have her eyes checked by your Vet? Gonzo has barked at my Dad when he couldn't see him, he only heard him walking in. But he crouches down and runs up to him all ashamed whenever he does that. He's NEVER done it to me, I think he would recognize me from a mile away.

finn's mom
06-08-2005, 02:38 PM
That's so strange, I hope someone can shed some light on what might be going on. I have no idea, though, as Finn rarely barks at anything. I guess if you're really worried, though, you could always take her in for some checkups....

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 02:50 PM
That is strange. I would get her to the vet for an exam, especially have the eyes checked.
See what the vet has to say. If she thinks nothing is wrong & has no explanation you should seek the help of a behaviorist.

If this is a problem that just started it may get worse & sooner than you think. I don't want to scare you but do want you to resolve it before it does get worse.

I wish you the best of luck!

K9soul
06-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I would agree with what the others have said, but add that I think your family should try to react calmly when she does it too, perhaps just calmly saying her name once in a neutral tone of voice. I think if you give it too much attention, i.e. scolding or trying to reassure, she might be seeing that as reinforcement for the behavior. I'd definitely have her looked at by the vet first to rule out anything physical, and if nothing there try to find a behaviorist for a consult.

Good luck, I know this has to be alarming for you and your family.

Glacier
06-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Couple things popped into my mind--one, since Riley is really young, it could just be a weird puppy phase. Lots of dogs go through a stage where they act like human babies "making strange". Tends to be a bit younger than Riley is though.

The other thing is that this is what Preacher acted like when he first started to loose his sight. At that time, Preacher could see just fine in bright light, but in any shadow or darkness, he couldn't see. He is a fairly protective dog so when he sensed something or someone he couldn't see, he barked at it like he would an intruder. As Preacher adjusted to going blind, it stopped. Preacher is now completely blind and has adjusted beautifully. He behaves like a sighted dog and barks like one too! Preacher has a condition called Progressive Retinal Atrophy. It's genetic, irreversable and untreatable, but causes him no pain and has no effect on his lifespan. I just can't rearrange my furniture anymore--that causes him pain when he bonks into stuff!

I'd get Riley's eyes checked and a blood panel. Unexplained, out of character behavior is often linked to low thyroid levels...another Preacher problem that is easy to manage.

anna_66
06-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Couple things popped into my mind--one, since Riley is really young, it could just be a weird puppy phase. Lots of dogs go through a stage where they act like human babies "making strange".
That was my first thought also. Here is something from one of the behaviorist members on the forum English Mastiff Online...

These are the approximate ages when dogs may go through fear periods:

7-8 weeks
6 months
9 months
12 months
18 months
24 months

Not all dogs have fear periods and not all dogs have them at every age. Dogs have been fear-less until 18 months when they experience their first fear period.

You know your dog is going through a fear period when your dog becomes reactive to something or several things that she wasn't reactive to yesterday. This can be anything from a ball to a person to a flapping garbage bag.

Back down on your dog's exposure to new things - in fact I would strongly suggest that your dog not be exposed to anything new until the fear period is over. A new fear imprint can be very difficult to counter-condition. This is not the time to take the dog to the county fair, the kid's soccer game or petsmart. Only take the dog out to quiet places.

If your dog is suddenly fearful of an object, the fastest way to get your dog over the fear is to toss treats at the object. First, toss them far enough away so your dog is not afraid to eat them. This could be 3' or it could be 30'. Gradually toss treats closer and closer to the object until the dog is happily eating treats right next to the object. Once you do this, you will rarely have to toss treats at the object again, but sometimes you do.

If your dog is fearful of people, don't push your dog. If you are out, say the dog's name and then say "this way" and calmly lead your dog away from the person. By saying the dog's name and "this way", you are making the decision to move away from the 'scary' person. Your dog will learn to trust you more.

If you are at home, do not put a lead on your dog - leads restrict movement and if your dog can't "flight" his only other option is to "fight". You don't want to set your dog up for that kind of reaction.

Do not force the dog to greet or be petted by anyone. If the dog chooses to approach a person, the person should be calm and only pet the dog if the dog is calm and appears to want to be petted and use long slow strokes on the dog's side or scratch the dog's chest - no hugging, no petting the dog on the top of the head.

The person should never coax the dog to come over or try to lure the dog with treats. If the dog comes over, the person can give the dog a treat, but no luring. You want the dog to make the decision to go to the person.

This is not the time to have the dog in the same room where your 8 yr old boy and his 15 friends are playing. Or in the same room with your teenage girl and her 15 friends (way toooo much squealing(grin)).

Be calm, be relaxed. This is normal for dogs, although sometimes unnerving and upsetting to us. It will be over soon.

Sounds like it could be that but just in case I'd get her a checkup. Hope everything is ok.