PDA

View Full Version : Very sad day for me... long post

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 08:32 AM
I lost my sweet ratkin yesterday, Gillian. She appeared to pass on either very rapidly or in pain or something as she was laying in a weird position in her potty spot. I can only hope that she went quickly & pain free.
Brux on sweet girl you are loved. You had a great long lived life.

To make matters even worse is that left me with one rat, Nibblet. Nibblet got her name 3 years ago when I saved her from a bad pet store situation. She was a biter & still is. For 3 years I have been trying to get her to trust me, not once have I ever done any bad to her. She still bites, hard & draws blood. So she still carries the name.
It used to be semi-manageable as long as I had other rats, they seemed to calm her down a bit & as long as I was holding another rat she would let me hold her, but ONLY with another rat & ONLY briefly.
I've been contemplating on putting her to sleep for 3 years because of her bad behavior. This is my FIRST rat in 16+ years out of MANY MANY rats that I have EVER had this problem with and was unable to control the problem. But I figured as long as I have multiple rats I am able to handle her briefly so she can stay.
Now that she is alone I can not handle her without her drawing blood multiple times.
After a long discussion with friends, family & my vets I decided it is for the best that she be helped to the bridge today. As sad & as hard as it is I think it is for the best. This will prevent any more harm done unto me, my family (mainly nieces & nephews) and friends as well as to herself. I am sure she has to be very stressed and often and who knows, she may do so much damage that she may cause damage to herself.
She has always had this weird glare in her eyes, even the vets noticed years ago, like she's staring into space or at nothing, just a very blank expression, she has always had a head tilt as well as a sway to her body. She is 3 years old healthy for her age but she is starting to get 2 tumors.
I've never had to put an animal to sleep due to behavior issues & I am one that is determined to conquer whatever problems with any animals. This is a very hard decision to make & although I know it's for the best I still feel like it is not right.

My oh my I am just sooooooo sad today. :(

Logan
06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
So sorry that you have lost Gillian. :(

Is it not possible to have Nibblets and just accept the fact that you won't be able to handle her? Or is it too hard to even try and feed her and clean her cage? I wish you didn't have to put her to sleep. :(

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Logan
So sorry that you have lost Gillian. :(

Is it not possible to have Nibblets and just accept the fact that you won't be able to handle her? Or is it too hard to even try and feed her and clean her cage? I wish you didn't have to put her to sleep. :(

I've already accepted the fact that I won't be able to handle her. I've been living with it & accepting it for 3 years now.

It took me 45 minutes, a towel & toys to get her out last night so that I could remove Gillian from the cage.
Dumb me put her back in the cage then it took me & Craig about 1.5 hours, a towel, a pair of leather gloves and the toys & carrier to get her out.
I ended up with 2 deep bites, Craig has 3-4 deep bites.

I tried to think of another type of cage I could use for her that would be easier to get her out when its time for cage cleaning but either the cage wouldn't work in one way or another or I can't afford it.

Believe me I've consulted with quite a few people & tried my hardest to think of another alternative. No matter what we come up with there is something else that would cause a problem.

Logan
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
It sounds as if you have exhausted every avenue. I'm so sorry that you had to make this hard decision. Going from two rats to no rats in two days is so hard. :(

I'll be thinking about you.

Logan

jackie
06-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Thats is a hard decision to make, but I am sure you will make the right choice whatever you do.

finn's mom
06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about Gillian. :(

Queen of Poop
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Very sorry about your loss and the choice you are having to make. It is never easy to say goodbye under any circumstances. :(

aly
06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
What if you got another buddy for Nibblets? I'm sure you've already thought of that though and have a good reason not to.

Don't rats usually live 3-4 years? With her tumors, maybe you are just helping her to the bridge before she has too much pain. I don't know a lot about rats, but it seems that you have thought extensively about this so I trust your instincts.

I am very, very sorry to hear about Gillian too.

wolfsoul
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I understand your decision to help Nibblet to the RB. RIP Gillian. :(

Originally posted by aly

Don't rats usually live 3-4 years?

The average lifespan of a rat is 2 1/2 years -- alot of rats are lucky to make it one year. So Nibblet certainly has lived a good, long life. :)

ramanth
06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Gillian and for the decision you have to make with Nibblet. :(

aly
06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

The average lifespan of a rat is 2 1/2 years -- alot of rats are lucky to make it one year. So Nibblet certainly has lived a good, long life. :)

Ok, I thought it was something like that.

I'm sure Nibblet has lived a longer, well-cared for life than most other rats. No one else would have given her such a chance. She will have Gillian to greet her and they can make the journey together.

bckrazy
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
RIP Gillian :(

Poor Nibblet, who knows what she went through when she was young that caused her behavior... :( could you get another Rattie friend for her, or is it just hopeless? It must be really really hard to put her to sleep after years of having her.

We had a rat that was similar, he acted up and nipped at us until we got a friend for him. They played together constantly, and were both very sweet and handlable from then on. Unforunately they were also from a pet store, and they died at only about 1 year old.

luckies4me
06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I am so very very sorry for your loss, but having had rats similar in the past (all rescued) I can understand your concern. Unlike dogs and cats, there is not much that can be done for rats with agressive tendencies. Like we say in the rat fancy, some are just born with a mean streak. There is nothing you can do about it. I fully support your decision, especially with her current health issues. I am sure she is very thankful you have had her this long. Most people would have abandoned her a long time ago. Keep your chin up. :)

luvofallhorses
06-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :( I know how you feel, if you ever need to talk I am just one PM away. ((((hugs)))))

petslover
06-08-2005, 08:44 PM
I am sorry about your loss, but I agree you are doing the best decision for it. You have done alot for Nibblet so be proud of yourself.

NoahsMommy
06-09-2005, 12:54 AM
You poor thing....sorry for your loss and for your hard decision.

It sounds like its the best for all involved.

Hugs,
Kelly

Kater
06-09-2005, 03:33 AM
RIP always, Gillian & Nibblet. I'm sorry you had to make such a difficult decision and that you had such a sudden loss. :(

You gave these two the very best you could, but I understand that these circumstances can be hard to accept. I'm so impressed that Nibblet lived such a long life and that you worked so hard to make her as comfortable as possible. You showed her such great love even though she could never quite reciprocate it back to you. Please don't feel that you have failed her in any way because you were truly her angel.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Kate

lv4dogs
06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I can't thank you all enough for your support. It really was a hard decision but she was brought to the bridge yesterday. She's up there bruxxing with all of my other girls.

It feels so empty in my house, granted I have dogs, cats, ferrets & a hamster, this the first time in 16+ years where I don't have any rats. There is a large void in my home & heart. It is very odd, this is the first time in a long time that I don't have an urgent need to fill the space in my heart that is now left blank. Don't get me wrong I will have some loving ratkins in my furry family someday but I have to wait until the time is right.

k9krazee
06-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Play hard at the RB little Nibblet, you did the best thing for her...RIP Gillian & Nibblet

KYS
06-09-2005, 08:34 AM
(((HUGS)))

Karen

King Spartacus
06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
God bless the little ones! And a great big hug to you! It's clear you loved your little babies so much, and putting Nibblet to sleep was an act out of love.

Some rodents are wonderful... and some, no matter how hard you try to make them manageble, just won't do it! Mamma had a hamster when she was a child, and he was the sweetest, most lovable thing ever. He was one of those that was allowed to roam around freely during the day, and loved to cuddle. When mamma moved in to her first flat, she decided to get another hamster... She was nasty! Mamma didn't like having her in the cage (as mamma felt pity for her in the cage), except at night, and let her roam around freely... trying to pick her up and put her in her cage at night was a nightmare... like Nibblet, it ended up with bites and heartache... Towles and gloves were needed, and the poor little mite used to scream everytime mamma picked her up. She lived until she was 2 and a half years old... and mamma is sad to say that she was glad the day the hamster passed on. Not that mamma didn't want her, but the stress both for mamma and the hamster, was just too much.

When it comes to rats, mamma has only had one. He was a handsome large fellow, but again, not very tame. Mamma tried to handle him as much as possible, but to no wail. He never bit hard though, but clearly let you know that he didn't like to be handled. In the end mamma and Harry (as his name was), came to an agreement... He was to be let loose all day long, mamma was to wear shoes all the time (otherwise he'd attack her feet), and when night came for him to get into the cage, mamma would put a pice of bread in his cage, and he'd happily trott in there! He was more like a cat than anything else, and loved climbing the curtains, so he could sit in the window sill and look outside! And they both lived happily ever after until he passed on a few years later!