PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Treats.

jackie
06-08-2005, 04:37 AM
What do you feed your hamster for treats? I was thinking about dried fruit, but isn't the sugar content too high? Please list your hamsters fav treats here! :D

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 08:42 AM
They have natural dried fruit with no sugar added. Granted fruits are loaded with sugars but in small amounts it should be fine to feed them as treats.

My hamster LOVES mealworms. That is her FAVORITE treat. This is gross but important, If you get the super worms you have to cut their heads off before feeding them as they bite hard. They will bite even when being swallowed. Don't worry though, you need to cut their heads off to feed them to a lot of other critters too. The small mealworms bite too but not as hard. But I still cut their heads off first, not only to be on the safe side but thats the only way Cheka will eat them.

About twice a week I give her 1-2 pieces of dog food kibble.

She also likes her veggies, carrots, lettuce (romaine is better than iceberg).

I also feed good cereals like cherios, special k, wheaties, wheat puffs etc....

Raw pasta in small amounts are good too.

jackie
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
WOW, ty for the tips. I never even thought of those! Where do you buy bloodworms? I have never seen them here in Spain.

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jackie
WOW, ty for the tips. I never even thought of those! Where do you buy bloodworms? I have never seen them here in Spain.

They are mealworms. Here in the states you can buy them at a lot of pet stores & even farm/feed/tractor stores.
They are used as food for many animals (rodents, reptiles etc..)

I know they have bloodworms too sold dried, frozen & live. But bloodworms have more protien than the mealworms. I never have but I guess you could feed bloodworms, but make sure you only give them a small amount every once in a great while. Too much protien can be bad for them. Hair loss/thining hair is one of the first visible symptoms that you are feeding too much protien.

bckrazy
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I know Hamsters and Bunnies also love dried (unsweetened) cranberries! WOW, Lv4dogs has a lot of suggestions... I never knew Hamsters at mealworms... :eek:

jackie
06-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I gave hammy a handfull of lettuce last night and OMG, I have never seen him stuff his cheeks so full! :eek: He loved it!

tikeyas_mom
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
what kind of hamster is it??

i would suggest *for a syrian hamster* whole wheat bread soaked in skim milk.

or

whole grain dog buiscuits.

future vet
06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
My hamster loves watermelon.
My hamster, Peanut, that died and my hamster Hamlynn that is alive ate and eat cucumber, lettuce, carrots, apples, spinach leaves, grapes, and even a piece of an ice-cream cone. With Hamlynn I haven't tried apples or grapes but I'm sure she'd love it. It's all healthy, but I'm not sure of the ice-cream cone. Just wanted to see if they'd like it. And in hamster food they do have dried bananas.