PDA

View Full Version : How long to freeze salmon..

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
I've been getting conflicting advice from different websites and people. I haven't asked my vet yet, but I'll be sure to do that -- I just thought I'd ask people here first.

How long to freeze Northwest Pacific salmonids before you can feed them raw (to eliminate the rickettsia parasites) ? I've heard many different lengths of time. Apparently the FDA says to freeze it for one day. But I've also heard people say one month, one week, etc. I would imagine that one day would be fine.

Caleb will be going to the vet soon so I can ask then, but I thought I'd just see if someone here knows first.

beeniesmom
06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
I never heard of freezing something to kill bacteria....
I thought you had to cook it real well.
:confused:

wolfsoul
06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
You generally can't kill bacteria by freezing --- I just want to kill the parasites that cause salmon poisoning. Cooking it is another way to kill them, butthe dog I'm gettign next year is going to be on a raw diet. :) I was actually going to do homecooked in the first place because I was worried about the salmonella bacteria affecting my autoimmune disease, but it turns out that I don't have to worry about that at all. :D

lv4dogs
06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Kessa, my rott/husky mix died of salmon poisoning from eating a dead Northwest Pacific salmonids so I don't feed them raw or cooked just to be on the safe side. I can't chance it at all.