PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Canadian currency to me?

moosmom
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I went to the corner store today to buy bread and mayonnaise with the last $3 I had in my pocket, all change. The guy at the store wouldn't take Canadian coins!

What's up with that anyway??

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Canadian money is worth quite alot less than American money. Perhaps he was worried that it wouldn't be enough?

kittycats_delight
06-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I am not sure as here in Canada the stores will take American coin. The only reason I can see is that the Canadian dolar is not worth as much so they are not getting less money than they shoud I guess. I kow that here you can spend american coin and money in some places but not the euro or the GBP. Aside from the exchange issue I don't know what it could be.

binka_nugget
06-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Ditto to what the others said. $3 CAD is $2.40 USD. :)

moosmom
06-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Oh wow! No wonder alot of Canadians come to Michigan to shop! From what I remember, when I lived in Connecticut, Canadian coins were accepted. But not in vending machines.

ramanth
06-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Was it the Canadian pennies and quarters, Donna? If so, he could of taken them. Those things circulate MI so much that most people don't even bat an eye. Sounds like you just got a grumpy gus.

*hugs*

I get Canadian change from stores in MI all the time. The only thing where they won't work is in the vending machines.

moosmom
06-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Kimmy,

There were 2 Canadian quarters. I didn't realize they were Canadian. They LOOKED like the new State quarters. Oh well, live and learn!