PDA

View Full Version : Fox Is Dead - sad post

elizabethann
06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm so upset. I've been watching a fox family by my house for the past 3 months. I went to check on them and noticed 2 traps. About 10 feet from one of the traps one of the adult fox lay dead. I called the police department and the town clerk and nobody knows where these traps came from and why the fox is dead. There were pieces of chicken in the traps to entice the animals. I'm so upset. These fox were not a danger to anybody. Fox eat mice, fruit, insects and MAYBE a cat (but that is VERY rare). I don't know why anyone would want to do this. The police said they would investigate it and call me back, but they haven't yet. I went to the traps and kicked them so that they wouldn't catch anything but now I'm thinking perhaps I should have taken the chicken out and left the doors open so that the baby fox (kits) could be safe in the traps. They're going to die out there. I don't know where they are and I don't know if the other adult is alive. I just don't know anthing. It's dark here now so I can't go wondering around the woods looking for them. I think I may call the Audubon Society tomorrow morning. Why are people so cruel? Why would anybody want to hurt these poor fox?

K9soul
06-07-2005, 08:26 PM
That is SO sad :( :(. I certainly can understand why you're upset, I know I would be devastated too :(.

animal_rescue
06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
That's horrible, I do hope that the other adult is alive.

moosmom
06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I would've taken the traps. This way there's NO chance whatsoever of anyone resetting the traps.

ramanth
06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm so sorry. :( I hope the other adult and babies are okay.

elizabethann
06-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I'll try to be short....but I've been on the phone ALL morning with the NH Fish & Game, Animal Control (from 2 towns), Police Department, Audubon Society and the Road Agent. Come to find out somebody complained that the fox was following him during the day. I told the Animal Control Officer that the fox followed me too but it was because she was protecting her kits. I told him I had been observing these fox for 3 months and have NOT seen any sign of them being a danger to society. My dog has even escaped from me and went into their den! They could have easily killed him (he's 20lbs) but they chose not too. I ended up speaking with the guy who initially made the complaint and he said he will tell Animal Control to take the traps away.

Before I made all these calls I went to check on the fox this morning and saw the Mother bathing one of the kits. I think it was the other kit I saw dead last night. I even told the guy who made the complaint that I saw the Mother bathe the kit and if a fox is rabid, I don't think it would be bathing it's baby!

I'm going to check on them tonight to see if they're okay and to see if the traps are there. If they are, I'll be shutting them.

The Animal Control Officer asked me if I had closed the traps last night because "somebody closed them". I said "no". I'm sure he knew I was lying, but too bad.

I plan on taking this situation further. I'm going to write to the local paper and perhaps call the towns Conservation Society (or even join it for that matter). I think we need to educate adults and children about wildlife.

The fox live near a ballfield where kids play and I think the guy who made the complaint was worried about them. But I told the guy I've watched the fox build a den near the ballpark before Spring (and the kids were out) and then keep moving their den AWAY from the ballpark as the kids kept coming out and playing ball and screaming and laughing. This clearly indicates to me that the fox want to be left alone to raise their young ones.

I live in a very small town and I'm sure EVERYBODY is going to hear about the "weird fox lady" but I've been called worse.

Thanks for listening. Sorry so long.

:)

Queen of Poop
06-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Long post, but entirely worthwhile. I applaud your efforts and support you in taking it further. Great work - fox lady!!!! :)

Toby's my baby
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I am so sorry about the poor fox! :(

I am glad someone is taking action, and I hope you can solve this problem. Good job for you! :)

Anita Cholaine
06-08-2005, 12:27 PM
This is so sad...... I hope we'll have good news soon.....what you've done is fantastic!

LeahMM
06-08-2005, 12:50 PM
that's so sad but I'm glad that you could help the survivors.