PDA

View Full Version : Public speaking!

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Ahh! Tomorrow I have to get up in front of our entire grade and talk for 5 minutes. It's a history project.. I have to be Rosa Parks. I hate public speaking already, but now I have to do it on a stage, in front of 110 people, with just a microphone! Talk about scary! :p

Anyways.. I'm freaking out.

Do any of you like/hate public speaking?

finn's mom
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
It is my number one fear. I remember once on Oprah (I think it was Oprah) that they were asking what the number one fear was in the US, and, it was public speaking, even over death. I know it is for me. I'd rather be covered in bees (one of my top fears) than get in front of a group. It's so goofy, but, it's the thing that scares me most. I wish you the best of luck. People always tell me to imagine the crowd in their underwear, maybe that will work for you? ;)

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh, I believe it! There are tons of kids freaking out in our grade over this. At least I'm not the only one. ;) Hehe, I can't say the underwear trick has ever worked for me. I have a hard enough time already keeping from laughing. :-D A friend of mine has contacts, and she took them out for her presentation so she couldn't really see the croud. :D Unfortunately, I have good eyesite. But hey, maybe I could put some glasses on! :D

Karen
06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
I have never feared public speaking. I like to talk, and you get to do it "in character" as Rosa Parks. Don't worry what people will think of you, just imagine you ARE her, and speak bravely, as she did! And if it helps, or if you are at ALL nervous, do NOT look into the faces of the audience. Instead, look at the wall behind them, or at the exit sign at the back.

Remember, it's not YOU up there talking about yourself, it's Rosa!

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks Karen! :) Yeah, I even get to dress up like her. :p A little silly, a old lady dress with shoulderpads and everything. But like you said, I can't worry about what other people think of me!

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm used to singing in front of hundreds or even thousands of people, so public speaking doesn't bother me very much. It's nerve-racking, definatly, but you just have to remember that it's five minutes, you're done, and then you have the rest of your life ahead of you. One day you'll look back and wonder why you were so nervous. Think of yourself being in the audience and watching someone else do a speech -- It doesn't bother someone in the audience to be watching the person on stage, so it shouldn't bother the person on stage either. Good luck! :)

Toby's my baby
06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
I HATE IT! I only have 12 other kids in my class (go to a very small school) and I get nervous even reading some thing that only takes 20 seconds. But, I dont get nervous reading something to them, that they have the follow along too (like the answers to something) I try to make it fun, and talk weird, and fast and really slow, as fun as I can make it. but, essays are another thing, I HATE it, and I am always worried about what people think.

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Jordan, wow, you've sang (sung?) in front of thousands of people? :eek:

Toby's my Baby - Haha, you sound so much like me. :D

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by equinelover23
Jordan, wow, you've sang (sung?) in front of thousands of people? :eek:

Yep! :) The most I've sung in front of so far is about 2100 people.

Toby's my baby
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Yep! :) The most I've sung in front of so far is about 2100 people.

Wow! What do you sing for? Is it for like a concert, or something. I would probably faint. :o

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Jordan.... :eek: WOW! Can you possibly get a video or something so we can hear you sing? ;) :D

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
Wow! What do you sing for? Is it for like a concert, or something. I would probably faint. :o
That was just a latenight assembly in my school gym -- it wasn't a big deal, it was only one song. :) The last performance I did was the year end assembly, and before that I sang at the Kelowna Community theatre -- that one I was really nervous for because they recorded me and put it on a CD. The stupid microphone was too high, so I kept concentrating on singing into the microphone instead of on what I was doing, so I messed up on a word. :o I was so embarrassed! I have only listened to the CD once, and I was forced to LOL.

wolfsoul
06-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by equinelover23
Jordan.... :eek: WOW! Can you possibly get a video or something so we can hear you sing? ;) :D
I don't have one right now, but I've been told that under no circumstances can we not videotape the karaoke singing at the Kelowna PT Meeting. :rolleyes: :p So I'll have some videos then!

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Yay! :D

Twisterdog
06-07-2005, 07:55 PM
I LOVE to speak in public! Hey, it's a captive audience, they HAVE to listen to me for as long as I want to talk! :D

CountryWolf07
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I definitely hate public speaking.

equinelover23
06-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I LOVE to speak in public! Hey, it's a captive audience, they HAVE to listen to me for as long as I want to talk! :D

Hehe, I think I could have guessed how much you liked to talk after seeing you were a double pillar. ;) :D BTW, I really like the quotes in your sig. :)

catnapper
06-07-2005, 08:43 PM
I love public speaking! There is something empowering to stand up in front of people and have people listening to what you have to say!

Make sure you give eye contact and be yourself! Show personality and they'll listen the whole way through! :)