PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the trees

Glacier
06-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I"m trying to get my relationship with the dogs back to normal, which means walkies every night. Tonight Pingo, Hobo & Earle (and Daisy, but she doesn't count as mine!) went for a hike to the lake. Hobo actually tried to swim. There was a guy with a dog in a canoe on the lake. Hobo forgot that he doesn't swim. He had a total panic attack when he realized his paws werent' on the ground anymore. Unfortunately, I was laughing too hard to get any pictures of that!

These are the ones I did get:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/9f6eacb6.jpg
Playing chase! It's a favorite game of all the dogs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/1724a106.jpg
Earle--"oh, alright, I'll stop digging and come with you?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/9f6f4ba9.jpg
Hobo waiting for me to catch up to him. He runs about 10 times as far as I walk. He hates to get too far ahead, but he's so fast there's no keeping up so he doubles back alot!

Next time I'll try not to laugh at him and get some pics of him flailing about in the water!

Oggyflute
06-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Great pics mate, would love to have seen Hobo in the water.:D

gemini9961
06-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Those pics would have been priceless. Poor Hobo. :o

elizabethann
06-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Beautiful woods to walk the beautiful dogs....how nice!

:)

finn's mom
06-07-2005, 08:51 AM
They're all so gorgeous! Poor Hobo, but, I probably would have been cracking up, too!

vinjashira
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Glacier, just wondering since you have so many dogs, do you take different random dogs everytime you go and have a walk or do you have like a system so they all have their turns? :D It's great I think to be able to walk with more than one dog :)

Queen of Poop
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Looks like everyone is having a grand time on their walkie. I can understand the laughter at Hobo in the water, sometimes our animals are just so silly!! :)

Glacier
06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by vinjashira
Glacier, just wondering since you have so many dogs, do you take different random dogs everytime you go and have a walk or do you have like a system so they all have their turns? :D It's great I think to be able to walk with more than one dog :)

A bit of both! I try to get everyone out regularly and keep track in a daytimer of who went where with who and when. I usually take groups of three or four, plus Daisy, my neighbor's dog. If I'm riding my bike, I have one more dog as I have a Springer attachment on the bike. That's usually Bandit as he loves that Springer thing!

I often take different groups, but there are some limits. Sleet doesn't like the young dogs trying to wrestle with her so she goes with the calmer dogs. Raven doesn't like other girls on her walk. Goldie only really likes Chase. Chum needs another nutty dog to keep him occupied. Mac & Ozzy like to go together so they can play. Some of them don't listen when other dogs around--for example, Earle will take off if Muskwa comes with him and they will be gone for hours. Some of them can go with anyone, anytime, anywhere--those dogs sometimes get extra walks as they are so easy!

It also varies by day and time. There are some dogs that I don't walk when the trail is likely busier--like Sunday afternoons.

A couple times a week, I pick a dog who gets special attention for the day. They get to go for a walk alone and get all the attention to themselves. I think it's important for them to get time away from the pack and get some individual time.

Basically, walks end up like most things with the pack--a balancing act of their individual needs and personalities.

cyber-sibes
06-07-2005, 04:17 PM
You lead such an interesting life! I love seeing pics and hearing about all your dogs. Poor Pingo, maybe he'll learn to swim. Star fell into our little backyard pond once and it was pretty funny (she didn't realize that it wasn't frozen anymore!)
What a great pic of hobo- isn't he the nutty one that does his "dance of joy?" He's so cute.

Anita Cholaine
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
They all look like they are havig fun!! Poor boy, Anita also hates the water.....

Glacier
06-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes

What a great pic of hobo- isn't he the nutty one that does his "dance of joy?" He's so cute.

Yup, that's Hobo. He's insane, in the nicest possible way, but still insane! It takes very little inspire the dance of joy from him. He's very silly! I have a hard time convincing people that he's not an older puppy--he just turned 8!!!

animal_rescue
06-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Aww, what wonderful pics, hope to see some of Hobo in the water!:D

RobiLee
06-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Looks like it was a good walk. Always love your pics.