PDA

View Full Version : cats and colds

wayne0214
02-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Can cats "catch cold" like a person, especially when they go out to play in cooler weather? As at times, my furkids come in sneezing and sniffing. Snow cat is espceically vulnerable. I have some anti-biotics that are stored in the 'frig, and I give a small dose to any of my furkids who persistantly show those symptoms. It helps them within a few hours. Also, I can tell how good they feel by how much they play. If they do not play much while demonstrating those symptoms, that is when I give them a small dose.

During the winter, the atmosphere here appears to be "dirty" and polluted at times. But I know that most of it is fog, yet, I cannot help but believe that some of it is bad air. We have some folks around here who don't feel well under the same atmoshperic conditions. What do you think?

...............wayne

lynnestankard
02-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Wayne,

Not too sure that going out in the cold will give furkids colds and sneezes.
Ours go out in all weathers - even rain doesn't bother them - in fact Ketchum sits in the rain! They normally play and come in when their good and ready - if their wet I dry them - they like that!
About six months ago Ketchum had some weeks of sneezing but he was fine and the vet. was quite happy with him.
I really think their a lot like us - they have to be in contact with another animal with the disease and then they pick it up.
I honestly think you furkids are so normal and happy, perhaps the cold weather gives them 'sniffy' noses - my nose always runs when the weathers cold - charming eh?!:eek:
Maybe have a word with your vet 'cos he will know the area where you live and maybe mention giving them the anti-biotics(animal anti-biotics right?).
Sorry to have gone on a bit - but you seemed rather concerned.:)

Lynne

sasvermont
02-06-2002, 12:43 PM
As far as I know, a cold is a virus and antibiotics will do no good. If the cat gets a sinus infections from the cold, that's another story. I bet the winter months (heating) dry out the cat's sinuses just like it does for humans. I would never give a cat any medication without first finding out if they need it. I did have a cat that came down with colds quite often and all I could do was treat the symptoms - such as eye drops or nose drops.... and then antibiotics if it impacted on her so badly that she got a sinus infection. She also had ear problems - spent lots of time and money at the Vets. Hope this helps!

K & L
02-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Usually in a cat it's a upper respiratory infection (URI) and they need antibiotics to clear it up. They're also extremely contagious to your other cats.

purrley
02-06-2002, 01:18 PM
Occasionally Spencer gets a running nose and may sneeze a little. The vet said not to worry unless his nose starts a yellowish or green discharge - then its time for medicine.

NoahsMommy
02-06-2002, 02:34 PM
We keep a bottle of amoxicillian in our fridge just in case one of them gets a URI. (Just like when I was little! How cute!! :D )

wayne0214
02-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Lynne, the stuff i give them is called "amoxicillin trihydrate" It is what was left over that the vet gave me for Snow Cats URI. I did not use it all up, and stored it in the 'frig, incase it was needed again.

..............wayne

Logan
02-06-2002, 09:17 PM
My in/out cats have NEVER had a cold....so far. I'm knocking on wood as I say this. And thank goodness, I don't have any antibiotics in my frig because I haven't needed them in a long time. Butter would just have to live at the vet's office if he ever had to take anything on a regular basis, and Mimi, thank goodness, is healthy as a horse!!! :D

sirocco
02-07-2002, 06:24 AM
Dear Wayne, I don't know if it is a good idea to give your babies small doses of antibiotics. As Saversmont said, if there is a virus causing distress, antibiotics would be useless (they destroy bacteria only). But the point is that administering antibiotics in small doses or only for a short time is ineffective and even dangerous. If antibiotics don't kill bacteria completely (and that's only achieved by a regular dose for quite a long time!) then the remaining bacteria (those who survived the medicine) "learn" how to "fight" the antibiotic, so next time your cat (in fact, ANY cat) gets the infection, it will be more difficult to beat the disease. This is called Antibiotic Resistance - I've found some articles and sources on the Web, I post one from the U.S. Food & Drug Admin., though there are a lot from Europe as this is quite a hot topic here!:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/698_bugs.html
I hope you find this information useful!

But, now, MOST important, you seem very concerned about Snow, I hope everything turns right and you (or your vet!) sort out what's happening with the furkids! You have all my sympathy, please keep us updated!

Nita

yumyum6970
02-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Wayne,

When my little yum yum came home from the animal shelter she had caught a very bad cold. If we hadnt taken her back to the vets to get a special shot there would be no telling what would happen to her. But she is all well now and doing great. She occasionally sneezes though.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

AmberLee
02-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
... During the winter, the atmosphere here appears to be "dirty" and polluted at times. ...

Wayne, I'm not sure where in central CA you live, so you may not have seen this editorial in the Sacramento Bee on Air Quality health issues (San Joaquin valley) (http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/1584156p-1660377c.html) It's focus is on children's health issues, but you might be interested in extrapolating data for your cats.

Good luck.

wayne0214
02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Amber Lee, thanks for the article. I notice that they especially mention the central valley (San Joaquin). I live about 35 miles south -east of Fresno and about 25 miles east of Visalia next to the Sierra Nevada foothills. On a clear day we can see Mt. Whitney, and if is exceptionally clear day we can see the trees in the forest on the adjacent mountains, but those days are rare.

It is not much of a problem with my furkids, but every once in a while they come in sneezing and sniffling. The quriey was more curiosity than concern. I didn't intend to get people riled up over the issue. What caught my attention was Jumper last monday came in sniffling. But he got over it within a couple of hours.

Thanks all, for your concern with this feline caretaker novice. Sirocco, thanks for your input on the issue. I will definitely keep that in mind. On second thought, the problems with a few of my furkids is URI because this is what Snow Cat had and the antibiotics that were obtained from the vets' definetely got rid of the problem in about 36 hours. But I will curtail the use of it, unless one of them gets sick, as snow Cat did, last time I had him to the vet.

......wayne

C.C.'s Mom
02-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Rudie sneezes every day in the morning when he's been out. It's no cold, just related to the cold weather. Every now and then he has a runny nose too, but not severe.
I don't give my furry babies antibiotics but try to get things under control with herbal treatment. We have a homeopatic vet who encourages this as well.

A healthy cat should be able to adjust himself to any kind of weather. At days when my cats don't feel themselves, they simply stay at home on one of the heaters.

lizbud
02-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi Wayne0214,

Don't think anyone is getting "riled up", just concerned
about your kitty. I think Sirocco's advise about medicating
with RX medicines on your own is good advise. Don't do it.
Kitties sneezing does not necessarily mean that they
are ill. Check the eyes for drainage & listen for raspy
breathing or cough. If these signs are present, then
call your vet.ASAP.

wayne0214
02-10-2002, 07:57 PM
C C's mom; the herbal meds interest me. These are what I take to keep at bay any viral infections that I might come down with. Are they the same for cats, or is there another type for them? Cost, quantity, shelf life, availability, source?

.............wayne

C.C.'s Mom
02-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by wayne0214
C C's mom; the herbal meds interest me. These are what I take to keep at bay any viral infections that I might come down with. Are they the same for cats, or is there another type for them? Cost, quantity, shelf life, availability, source?

.............wayne

Wayne, I've got this cat book that I use for reference and my vet and I usually discuss treatment. The book's called: Dr. Kidd's Guide to Herbal Cat Care. I bought it from Amazon.com
In Germany you have special cat/dog medicine that are completely herbal. They cost the same or are a little bit more expensive. I usually don't care because I rather buy the more natural medications for them. The vet provides them and some are for sale online.
I also use a lot Back Flowers.

I hope I helped you somewhat...