PDA

View Full Version : Guess What?!

animal_rescue
06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
My mom has decided to give Dolly one more chance! I need help with potty training tips though, she's such a stubborn dog and I'm pretty sure that little dogs are harder to potty train than bigger dogs? Atleast that's what I've known from experience.
Anyways should I try leashing her to me in the house?

finn's mom
06-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I've seen the leash thing work! I'm glad she's giving her another chance! Try everything, whatever it takes! Did you say if you'd tried pee pads? And, she stays in a crate at night while you're sleeping and when no one is home, right? I'm so happy that you get to keep her with you! Good luck!

binka_nugget
06-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Great! :D

How old is Dolly? I know I was very consistant with potty training... but Kai never really "got it" until he was over a year old.

Also, are you guys making sure to wash soiled areas very thoroughly? If the scent isn't totally gone, you can bet on her going there again.

Good luck!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-07-2005, 06:00 AM
pee pads, lots of praise and plenty of patience.......you have to be consistent to get her into a routine - good luck

BitsyNaceyDog
06-07-2005, 06:43 AM
This is what I've had good luck with:
-Keeping her crated when she can't be with you, even if you're home
-Keeping a leash on her while you are with her, even in the house
- going outside with regularity, starting with every 1/2 hour to hour and graduate to longer periods of time between going outside.
- when you're outside tell her "go potty", keep telling her until she goes. When she does go give her a lot of praise and a small treat.

Good Luck!

caseysmom
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
With bubba we just have to take him out either in the backyard or on walks very often. When he pottys outside I make a big deal of it and praise the heck out of him.

beeniesmom
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I trained Beenie to go outside very quickly.
I would take her outside EVERY 20 or 30 minutes and wait until she peed, then I'd praise her. It was frustrating to do that so often, espcially at night but she learned very quickly.
She had only 2 or 3 accidents in the home and when she did that I immediately took her out and in a firm tone told her she was a bad girl... but hugged her and told her she was good when she finally went outside.
If you have the time... and patience, you might want to try that for a few days.

animal_rescue
06-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advice:)