PDA

View Full Version : Well that was certainly a crappy meal...

slick
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan (AP) - Taiwanese restaurateur Eric Wang has given new meaning to the traditional revellers' cry of bottoms up.

WALLY SANTANA

His Marton eatery in the southern city of Kaohsiung delivers its food not on conventional plates and dishes, but in miniaturized Western and Asian style toilets, both the flush and non-flush variety.

For anyone missing the point, diners are encouraged to stir up mushy, earth-coloured offerings like curry chicken rice and chocolate ice cream to conjure up - well, the real thing.

Located in a downtown area with a variety of competing eateries, Marton - the name means toilet in Chinese - attracts its customers through its some dazzling bathroom decor.

Walking in through an arched door, diners are greeted with a giant toilet bowl sitting between two urinals. White ceramic toilet sets comfortably accommodate their bottoms, and urinals grace the walls.

Giggling helplessly, high school student Chen Yi-lin gulps down a chocolate ice-cream sundae served in a miniature Asian-style squat toilet, and admits that she is smitten.

"This is fun," she says.

Wang, 26, opened the Marton last year after a roadside prototype - a stand offering toilet-shaped ice cream cones - achieved runaway success.

Now, he says, he has moved decisively upmarket.

"Diners come and walk away with the special experience," he said. "Many try to create more fun, stirring up curry and rice so it looks exactly like when you forget to flush the toilet. Then they gulp it down."

For all its scatological excess, the Marton is following in the noblest tradition of Taiwanese novelty restaurants.

Other successful ventures have purposely confined scores of contented diners to coffins or jail cells, or exposed them to full-scale pictures of Chinese dictator Mao Zedong, Taiwan's political nemesis until his death in 1976.

:eek: :eek:

smokey the elder
06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Allow me to be the first to say...ew.:p

Pit Chick
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I need to use the Marton, my Poo Poo platter isn't agreeing with me.

Since food looks the same coming out, what if it looks the same going in? :confused:

RICHARD
06-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick

Since food looks the same coming out, what if it looks the same going in? :confused:

Only choco pudding

gini
06-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Something is telling me that it would be much better if I just didn't respond to this thread.:p :p

slick
06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
"Honey, I'm home and I'm feeling flush. How about we go out for dinner? There's a lovely table ready on the Poop Deck!" :D

gini
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
You have a boat? I didn't know you had a boat! What kind is it?

Wow............oh well, guess she didn't mean me anyway!

She usually never calls me "honey"................:D

Oggyflute
06-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Way too many responses to this, so best not before it degenerates further.:D

gini
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh rats, trev.........you mean you couldn't say just one little thing so we could jump on it and pick it apart?:D :D :D

Oggyflute
06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
I'll leave it to slick as she's so flushed:rolleyes: with success.:D