PDA

View Full Version : organics

finn's mom
06-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey, everyone. I'm looking into eating as much organic food as possible, and, also trying to use as many organic products as I can find (like skin and hair care, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on where to find stuff online or in grocery stores? Or anything that you guys can suggest as for good organic food or anything along those lines. :) It's something I have done in small ways before, but, I want to get more into it.

buckner
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I've never been on a hunt for organic foods, but try a health food store. You'll pay more for it, but that's okay, right? ;) Or talk to a nutritionist - they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry, I'm of no help. But if you figure out anything, let me know!! Eating organic foods is defintely healthier, and that's what I'm trying to do. :)

AbbyMom
06-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi

Do you have a Whole Foods store near you? They're a national grocery store chain that specializes in organic food and other organic products.

They also have organic cat and dog food. Unfortunately, they are pricey.

You can use Google Local to find the one that is nearest you.

Also, do you live in a house? I grow my own tomatoes and herbs and this year I'm trying lettuce and beans. Even if you live in an apartment, you can grow some vegetables in pots!

Another thought: Here in the Chicago area, you can join organic co-ops and buy from local farmers. Try Googling that, too.

Organic is not only better for you, it tastes better!

Good luck!

Pat

finn's mom
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey, thanks, guys! Yeah, any information I find, I'll post about it in here. :) I know it tastes better, and, I know it makes me feel better. I eat a lot less when I eat healthy, so, I think as far as price goes, it evens out. :)

I'm not too worried about the pet food, as I already feed Finn a raw diet anyway. :) But, we did have a whole foods nearby when i was living in dallas. But, I doubt there's one near Columbia, but, I'll definitely look to see. I can't believe I forgot about that store! And, I've always wanted to grow my own food, I couldn't do it here, though. Not easily anyway. I'll give it a shot when I move out of my parent's house. :)

NoahsMommy
06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I try and shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods because they offer most items organically. I'm not sure if you have those stores close to you or not?

I know a lot of brand names are now trying to make more natural or organic products. There are also some brands that only use organic ingredients:
Newman's Own (AND...they donate ALL procedes to charity)
Amy's (frozen)
Kashi
Cascadian Farms
Seeds of Change

A little time spent in the grocery store and you'll find more stuff.

Enjoy! Organic is healthier in my opinion too.

finn's mom
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for those items you listed. I bought some cereal tonight that is organic, i'll try it in the morning. :) i didn't know newman's own was organic, cool! i like his dressings. i am checking right now for stores around here. columbia isn't the most progressive of cities. ;)

finn's mom
06-05-2005, 11:11 PM
The nearest whole foods is in mt pleasant, over two hours away! darn. And, there are no Trader Joe's in South Carolina. Ergh. I'll have to search harder to see if there are any kinds of organic stores around.

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Funny you should bring this up...even though we've been getting more organic, we're finally going REALLY organic, lol!:D My best advice is to find a whole foods store like you did, and not mind paying more money for healthier stuff and driving there as well.;) We also eat LOTS of fruits and veggies, less sugar and desserts too...and no preservatives!!:) Also, everything in this house is whole grain wheat too...which I love!! The bread and pasta has so much more texture and better taste, not to mention you don't feel like crap, like after eating McDonald's!! haha:D One more thing...my mom says "Read the labels" all the time on certain stuff, and if you don't know what something is, it can't be good for you. For example, if you keep ranch dressing in your house or ketchup, read the labels, and see if you know what any of that stuff is...both are equally very unhealthy!!:p So we make our own dressing with olive oil, red wine, and Caesar seasoning, which tastes really good too!! If I think of anything else, I'll be back!!;) Hope all goes well!:)

finn's mom
06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
hey, cool. yeah, there's a place called earth fare in columbia. i tried to find it today, but, couldn't. i'll mapquest tonight and see if i can find it this week. i saw online though that they are having a cooking class this saturday for cooking wild salmon. i think it's free, i might try to go! :) i'm going to look at all of the local grocery stores, too, sometimes they have good organic stuff to choose from. :) i'll have a hard time giving up mayo and ranch, but, i know i should. ;)