PDA

View Full Version : Question about Spaying dogs...

ellensy
02-05-2002, 08:25 PM
mmm, i know i should have ask this question a long time ago, well...ahhh, my dogs aren't spayed yet (aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!, how cud i be so stupid??!??):mad: . Anyways, i wud just like to know, 1. is there an age limit, if i wanna have my dogs spayed? LIke, Beethoven's two and Crunchy's three--is there an age limit to getting a dog spayed? 2. What are the after eFfects of spaying, if there are any? 3. Will it hurt my dog?!? 4. Can i have my dog spayed even if they haven't ever been pregnant?

mmm, sorry for my stupid questions :o I just realize that i should know these things b4 deciding to take actions. tHankS!

Karen
02-05-2002, 09:37 PM
1. There's no age limit, and yours are certainly young enough, even if there was one!

4. You should get them spayed even if they've never been pregnant, that has no bearing on whether they can be spayed or not.

3. Your dog'll be sore afterwards for a day or so, varies from dog to dog, but that should be it as far as "hurt" is concerned.

What do you mean "after effects"?

aly
02-05-2002, 09:55 PM
I think by after effects, you mean what they'll be like after surgery? Don't worry, its a fast recovery. They'll have sutures and be a little groggy, but will be back to normal in no time.

It is very important you get them spayed. They'll be healthier. There will just be a little soreness for a couple days and that is worth it for all the good spaying does.

It is usually best to spay them while they're young, but your dogs are not too old to have it done. It might be bad for a really really old dog to be spayed only because of the anesthesia, but other than that they can be spayed any time from when they're puppies. They only have to be 5 lbs. We routinely spay 2 month old puppies at the shelter and everything turns out fine.

We never want to put our babies through any surgery, but once its over with you won't regret it.

kobieeli
02-06-2002, 01:26 AM
When I was little my beagle, Daisy, was spayed when she was almost 8 years old (well, it was the 70s...) and it turned out just fine. We had Kobie spayed at 6 months old, and believe me the worst "effects" of the operation were on us humans! I was a basket-case before the surgery, paced constantly and couldn't eat the morning of the surgery, and doted on her for days after the operation; my DH laid on the floor with her while she wore her "lampshade" and hand-fed her. Kobie probably wondered what the heck all the fuss was about, and in about a day and a half she was back to being her usual self! :) Don't worry, it's no big deal. And it's much healthier than not spaying at all.

ellensy
02-06-2002, 03:53 AM
Thank you very much for your responses. Now I know what to do- - I'm gonna call up my vet! :D It's really great to be part of pettalk, coz i learn alot w/o having to be afraid of being laughed at stupid questions like this one herE! Thanks! :D

mugsy
02-06-2002, 08:19 AM
definitely spay them. We have 15 dogs and all but 2 of them have been either spayed or neutered. Our dogs are usually up playing in a couple of hours after getting home...our only concern is keeping them settled for a day or so, so they don't rip out stitches. A lot of vets now use dissolvable stitches, so you don't even have to have them taken out. My husband just takes the stitches out himself. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered are much healthier and tend not to get cancer as easily.