PDA

View Full Version : Question about cell phones

Uabassoon
06-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I need to get a new phone because I managed to flush mine down the toilet! I was wondering if I buy a used cell phone that is the same model as my carrier sells would I be able to transfer my service onto that phone? Or do I have to buy a phone directly from the company?

catnapper
06-05-2005, 04:27 PM
When hubby lost his, we called the cell provider and explained we lost the phone. They offered us a cool new phone for CHEAP compared to what you'd find in the mall. A plus is that we didn't have to sign a new two year contract like the guys in the mall tried to get us to do too.

PS: I'm not sure if I want to know how you managed to flush a cell phone down the toilet! :D

popcornbird
06-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, BUT........

Just HOW did you manage to flush your poor phone down the toilet? :eek::o:D

Uabassoon
06-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure if I want to know how you managed to flush a cell phone down the toilet! :D [/B]

LOL it's not that scary of a story. The phone fell out of my pocket while I was reaching over to flush!

christa
06-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm with Cingular and I think that my phone has to be compatible with my plan . . . you might just want to look around, if you find something used, get the model number and call your cell service and see if that phone is compatible.

Fox-Gal
06-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I kind of did the same thing with my cell, only not the toilet, the washer. I'm with Sprint and I called them, to ask about another phone, they offered to send me a new one, for a few bucks. Till they saw that my contract time was up by 8 months and I had been doing month to month sense then.

Then it was, did you take the replacement ins. out on it, etc etc. So to get a new phone and not have to pay the full price, plus the re-connection fees etc. I had to get a new #, new contract etc, but I got a camera phone, with everything for $20. So I guess it was worth it in the long run. It's not like I can leave Sprint, it the only company that get good service at the house, I'm so far out here. :rolleyes:

cali
06-05-2005, 07:02 PM
my dad lost his cell recently, so he called the company, it turned out he was allowed an upgrade and they sent him a cool brand new phone for free, much better too lol

prechrswife
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
This isn't an answer to your question, but I did LOL at your flushing your phone down the toilet because one of our church members did the same thing about a month or so ago. :D

NoahsMommy
06-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Laura,
I think you'll have to get one from your service provider...they're real wierd about that stuff. When I got my new one last week, I was unable to keep the phone I purchased in December because I switched companies. Kind of sucks...it was a $300 phone. :(

A good thing is you may be able to get a newer, nicer phone for less money if you extend your contract.

Good luck with that. :)

Hugs,
Kelly

shais_mom
06-05-2005, 11:05 PM
oiii
you should have put a warning on this b/c I almost spit my milk on the monitor.
was it in your shirt pocket? oii

Definately definately definately get a NEW phone from your provider the reconditioned phones are not worth the time and money. My dad had a nice new phone and wanted a flip phone and had to pay out the ying yang and break the contract to get one. It had only been a year they sold him a reconditioned phone and it lasted from December to March - the next one lasted from March to May, the next one was from like May to November when I MADE them go in and upgrade b/c their contract was up.
He bought at least 2 batteries at $50 a pop. Plus had to pay about $175 b/c the broke the original contract - and about $150 for the additional 2 phones - then they got insurance and the next phone was covered. In addition they drove to 3 different towns to get the same phone duplicated.

They have Verizon - so do I and LOVE the service. They haven't had any other problems. The other problem was they weren't dealing with an actual Verizon store originally. The place they went to b/c it was local to them was a place that dealt with mostly reconditioned phones.

Also not sure who your provider is but think about insurance - it is worth it in cases like this. I pay about $4 extra per month. I know a guy who lost his in the lake and it was replaced no questions asked.