PDA

View Full Version : Its all over the news now

aly
02-05-2002, 06:08 PM
At first we were being quiet about it, but I guess we are putting it out in the open. A dog got stolen from our shelter on Friday Feb 1st. A dog that needs medical attention. A dog who is the sweetest, gentlest soul. A dog that also happens to be a Pit mix. Due to her breed, we are worried about WHY she was stolen. We just pray that she was stolen to be a pet and not something worse. Please pray for Kayla and that she'll return safely to us. :(

lbaker
02-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Oh my Dog Aly how could this have happened at your haven:confused: :( how anyone be so crass and unfeeling :confused: does the human heart allow such things to happen......oh my Dog I didn't need to hear this right now...:( this has been a very bad day for me) ..oh damn. laurie

ilovehounds
02-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Oh god, Im so sorry. When things like this happen you can only imagine the worst. I'll pray that your sweety is in a safe place and is getting lots of love.

Now that it has hit the news maybe someone will come forward with info.

Kayla your in our thoughts and prayers

Karen
02-05-2002, 06:16 PM
My hope is that someone fell in love with Kayla, but couldn't afford the fees (I know, I know) and just "HAD" to have her. And if they were not good people, and were hoping for a "fighting" dog, they will realize their mistake and return her.

aly
02-05-2002, 06:25 PM
I just watched another news segment on it so I'm typing this through tears. We have faxed her picture to every vet, shelter, and pet store in Austin and even some surrounding cities. Now its been on 5 news stations too. We are giving a reward and not pressing charges. We only want her back.

If someone wants her for a fighting dog, they are definately in for a disappointment. I just hope she doesn't get hurt. Town Lake the city shelter is on the lookout for her too.

This was so well thought out and planned, its very worrisome. We suspect it may be one of our community service people because of the way they carried it out. They are not allowed to handle the animals or work with them. They are usually in the storage room doing laundry and dishes, but they still get to know the layout of the shelter well. They staged it so Bear got out of his kennel and got out the front door. Some guy came in yelling to us that our dog was in the field so almost the whole staff and some volunteers who were there ran out. We had to chase Bear FAR with only 2 staff members left to help the public. Well only one staff member was actually up front. The other was in the clinic. While the staff member up front was running around frantically, Kayla disappeared.

yorkster
02-05-2002, 06:35 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this Aly.
Hopefully it is someone who wanted a pet, and will treat him well.
If it was a staff memeber involved, then maybe that is the case? I would think/hope that whoever it was would KNOW the dogs sweet personality........?

Good luck and let us know what happens!

AmberLee
02-05-2002, 06:40 PM
{{{Aly and fellow volunteers; Kayla}}} :eek: :confused: :(

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers.

A.L.

zippy-kat
02-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Here's hoping for a speeding return...

Poor pup!

lizbud
02-05-2002, 08:35 PM
Aly,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. You said Kalya needed
medical attention, what is her medical problem, should
she be on medication, etc ?? Also, has she already been
spayed ? (they could use her to breed fighters if she
is not fought herself).
I would like to believe Karen's view of the possibilities.
And pray that she will be safe & loved....
Will say extra prayers for her safe return. Liz.

Sudilar
02-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a set-up, sad to say. I will pray that Kayla will somehow be rescued unharmed.

aly
02-05-2002, 09:49 PM
She's already spayed thank God.

She has atrophy, hip displasia, and coccidia (explosive diarrhea and vomiting that will NOT go away without treatment). She's only 9 months old :(

She is a really smart dog and a real lover. The only thing she ever wants is to be pet. She's really calm for her age and just likes to sit with people :(

C.C.'s Mom
02-06-2002, 04:48 AM
This is just terrible! It's just incredible what some people have going on in their head! What are they thinking?
I hope you'll find the dog.

lynnestankard
02-06-2002, 05:49 AM
How awful Alyson - I do hope the people who did this hear the news and return her to you unharmed. Like Karen said - they may want her so badly for a pet and couldn't afford the payments - they will have to get her medication - so have the local vets been informed?
My thought, from far away, are with you and all at the shelter.

Good Luck.

Lynne

purrley
02-06-2002, 06:40 AM
This is just heart sickening:( :( I'll be praying that she will be returned safely!!!!!

AdoreMyDogs
02-06-2002, 07:31 AM
I am so sorry to hear about this, Aly. That is so aweful. I just hope and pray that the dog is in good hands, and not being mistreated. I also hope that the one who took her realizes that they shouldn't have and will take her back :(

I'll keep her in my prayers :(

K9karen
02-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Oh, Damn..this is so upsetting! Sounds like an inside job for sure! Hopefully Kayla's ilenss will be a Godsend for whoever stole her, as they'll be shocked and unable to handle it. How sad our times, that people are so cold and greedy. Will this resort to security cameras EVERYWHERE? I wish I was there to help! Kayla will be added to my prayers! I hope she turns up soon, poor thing!:(

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Oh, Aly! What horrible news! I hope Kayla is in a good home and that no harm comes to her! She will be in my thoughts.

Logan
02-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Aly, I know it is hard to think good thoughts about this whole situation. But I will, and I will pray that the sweet girl is warm and happy right now. What a horrible thing to have happen! :(

My prayers are with Kayla.

Logan

Stenograsaurus
02-06-2002, 08:48 AM
Oh, this is just horrible. I'll be praying for sweet Kayla.

RachelJ
02-06-2002, 09:02 AM
A crime was committed here. Are the police conducting an investigation? What about an internal investigation as to who was where in the building when this happened? Has Kayla's picture been on TV or in the newspapers? A reward offered?
Are steps being taken to develop procedures which (hopefully) would prevent something like this from happening again?

Aly, I know you aren't the one to answer these questions. Just my way of venting my frustration.

ramanth
02-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Poor Kayla! I hope she's found real soon. It's not fair of her to suffer if she doesn't get her medication, even if the people that took her want her to have a nice home.

Dixieland Dancer
02-06-2002, 09:22 AM
With the Coccida it should not take long for the person(s) responsible for this terrible act to realize she is a sick puppy. Hopefully they have a conscience and will return her for the much needed medical attention. She will be in my thoughts and prayers for a safe return to your shelter.

aly
02-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ
A crime was committed here. Are the police conducting an investigation? What about an internal investigation as to who was where in the building when this happened? Has Kayla's picture been on TV or in the newspapers? A reward offered?
Are steps being taken to develop procedures which (hopefully) would prevent something like this from happening again?

The police are conducting an investigation. Her picture has been on 5 different news channels. Her picture is also at just about every vet and pet store in Austin. We are offering a reward and announcing we will not press charges. We just want to get our dog back. I would LOVE to press charges but if we do, then we may never get her back.

We also have a list of suspects. Some community service people that had finished their hours but may have made a stop back at the shelter to do this. I know for a fact it was no one on the staff.

aly
02-06-2002, 01:24 PM
You know another weird thing which I don't know if its a coicidence or not, but the day we noticed she was gone, about 5 people came in and asked to see her. Now that strikes me as odd when she's been at the shelter for months and doesn't even get asked about on a weekly basis sometimes.

aly
02-06-2002, 01:59 PM
I just got this email from our Operations Director. It was sent to all staff and volunteers I think. There is a little bit of hopeful news (the part about the leads they got). Hopefully by work tomorrow they will know more.

I certainly understand your fear of a security problem here at the shelter.
All of us here are devastated by kidnapping of Kayla. We are also, as you
may know, particularly concerned about her health.

Currently, both Volunteers and Staff are coordinating a rescue effort. Last
night, Kayla's disappearance was on the nightly news with an interview of
Dineen, the shelter PR person. In addition, we are faxing copies of our
Kayla poster to all Vets in Travis County, as well as animal rescue groups
and Town Lake. This publicity has already led to a couple leads.

We are also reviewing procedures to determine exactly how this crime was
perpetrated. We do not ever want to see it happen again, and we are doing
everything we can to prevent it.

Thank you for all your support in the past and I hope you continue to
support us through this difficult time.

Golden Smiles
02-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Aly~ That makes me so sad, and mad! :mad: I just can't fathom why soeone would do that. I sure hope Kayla is okay, i'll be thinking of her.

joycenalex
02-09-2002, 12:44 PM
aly, any news on kayla? or the thieves(may they rot)

aly
02-10-2002, 12:26 AM
We had a call about a dead dog on the road that people said was her :( So one of the staff members drove out to go see but it wasn't her. Poor doggy.

We also had a woman come in today claiming she saw Kayla being walked in a neighborhood closeby. I gave her our number and told her to please call us if she saw a glimpse of Kayla again. For some reason I have little hope that its Kayla she saw :(

lynnestankard
02-10-2002, 06:07 AM
Oh Aly how distressing for you and all the the shelter:( I mean I am glad the dead dog wasn't Kayla but you're all still wondering - as we all are - where she is and how she's doing. Fingers crossed that this new sighting might be good news.

Lynne

aly
02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
This is Kayla :( :( :( :( :(

http://www.austinspca.com/images/kayla2.jpg

AmberLee
02-12-2002, 08:21 PM
She looks like a real sweetheart. Thank you for keeping us updated on the situation. Hang in there. :(

lynnestankard
02-13-2002, 02:54 AM
What an adorable dog - fingers are still crossed. Good thoughts winging across the miles.

Lynne

LoudLou
02-13-2002, 02:59 AM
Poor pretty Kayla:( Paws and fingers crossed here too. You are both in my prayers. Hang in there Aly!---- Kate

Gio
02-13-2002, 08:04 AM
She looks so sweet. How can anyone do a thing like this. I hope they will get caught soon

Mocha
02-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Oh dear.. I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope she gets returned safe and sound, especially when the people who took her realise she needs medication. It really is so sad... we'll keep her in our prayers here in Singapore too.

aly
04-23-2002, 07:01 PM
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! KAYLA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know the details but I jsut got a voice mail from someone I work with. She just said they found her AND SHE'S BACK@!#!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I am SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zippy-kat
04-23-2002, 07:06 PM
that is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

yorkster
04-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Whoo-Hoooooooo!!! :D

Let us know the details when you find out!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2002, 07:55 PM
YAY !@!!! :D

I was readin this post and kept gettin sadder and sadder, then I saw the poor puppies picture and got even more sadder, who would ever thought at the end WOULD BE THE BEST NEWS EVER!!!
I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU ALY, I KNOW YOUR HAPPY TOO!!!!
PLEASE GIVE KAYLA A BIG HUGE BEAR HUG FOR ME FOR HER SAFE RETURN!!!:D :D :D

Sam's My Baby
04-23-2002, 08:03 PM
HORRAY!
I am SO happy that Kayla is back! I am so thankful she had a safe return!:) :) :) :) :) Give her LOTS of luv from me!!!!! :D

LoudLou
04-23-2002, 09:14 PM
YIPPEE!!!!!!! So, glad Kayla is back!

mugsy
04-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Oh aly, that is soooooo cool!!! After all the crap of the last week that you've had to deal with what a positive way to end it!!! Now, my question....Can I have her?? lol She is absolutely beautiful. I am so happy with this news, you can't know. Congrats and give Kayla a big hug for me and pass along good wishes to everyone at the shelter also.

RachelJ
04-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Isn't that something. Just when you think all hope is gone....a miracle.

lizbud
04-23-2002, 09:32 PM
What terrific news !!! I'm so glad she's still alive & back
where you all can check her out. If you get a chance
tomorrow, let everyone know what kind of "shape" she
is in and how this all came about. I'm so happy Kayla
is back where she can be loved & cared for...

AmberLee
04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Hurrah!!! Hope she is in good health; what a tremendous relief!!!

delidog
04-23-2002, 09:43 PM
wow!!! you see miracles do happen!!! we are so happy for dear kayla!!!! give her lots of hugs and biscuits for us!!! please let us know if she is alright....i hope that they catch the thieves!!!!great news aly!!!!:D :D :D :D

Sudilar
04-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ
Isn't that something. Just when you think all hope is gone....a miracle.

ANOTHER MIRACLE!!

aly
04-23-2002, 10:46 PM
I saw her on the 10:00 news!!! :D :D :D She looked to be in pretty good shape! The story is she somehow turned up at the city shelter and was about to be euthanized when they noticed her tattoo. They called my shelter and the shelter manager ran right down and low and behold it WAS HER!!!! I haven't stopped crying tears of joy since I found out the news. I am going to see her at 7:30 in the morning tomorrow. I CANT WAIT!!!

sabies
04-23-2002, 11:11 PM
glad she's been found, I hope you catch whoever did this so they cannot do it again

Gio
04-24-2002, 04:03 AM
Oh Aly, this is such good news! :D Thank God they noticed the tatoo

lynnestankard
04-24-2002, 04:49 AM
HURRAY - I'M OVERJOYED

Isn't this just the best news to start our day with - Aly I'm sat here grinning like an idiot:D :D :D
As Gio said what a good thing they noticed her tattoo:D :D Her guardian angel was with her. Oh I'm just soooooo pleased. Could you give her another HUGE hug from me?

A grinning idiot off into the day.....:D .......:D ........:D ................:D ..

Lynne

purrley
04-24-2002, 06:40 AM
I'm just elated Aly to hear about Kayla. What a wonderful way to start my day. Please give us all the details as soon as you know. Who had her, etc. I'm so very pleased this beautiful dog is back, this is indeed a miracle - she's some special pup for sure:) :) :)

ramanth
04-24-2002, 09:43 AM
Oh Aly! That is such wonderful news!!!

Give Kayla a big hug and kiss for me. :D

jennifert
04-24-2002, 10:18 AM
OH MY GOD!! I'm so excited and happy for you and Kayla!! I can't wait until you see her and give her huge hugs and kisses and love from all of us...!!!

tatsxxx11
04-24-2002, 10:54 AM
Welcome home Kayla!!!!! OMG!!! It IS a miracle!!! Kayla's return proves we should never give up hope!! Hugs, hugs, hugs for Kayla!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-24-2002, 12:03 PM
WAHOOOOO!!!! KAYLA!!!
I can't decide whether to laugh or cry so I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face and tears in my eyes. What wonderful news.:D

mugsy
04-24-2002, 12:08 PM
WOW!! An angel was definitely looking out for Kayla. I can't wait until you get home from work to let us know about her. I am sooooo excited and I now have renewed hope of someday getting Tobey back. She is definitely a beauty. Is she possibly the angel you have been waiting for aly??

Cincy'sMom
04-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Glad to hear Kayla is home! YAAAHHHH!!!

aly
04-24-2002, 10:02 PM
We don't know many more details of her situation. Town Lake picked her up as a stray and she waited out her three days in the stray run. No one claimed her. I found out they had her on the table and were very close to putting the needle in. They decided to pet her for a few minutes first and thats when she rolled over and they saw the tattoo. This really is a miracle dog. The way she came to us originally was we resuced her dodging traffic on the busiest highway in Texas.

She doesn't like dogs anymore. She liked them before she was stolen. We are assuming she was used as a bait dog for fighting. Someone probably got discouraged at how friendly and gentle she is and just threw her out. She is very skinny and her back legs are worse than before but she is VERY happy to be back. A coworker who picked her up from the city shelter told me she recognized the shelter, BOLTED the car, and ran right up to the door to be let back in. What a sweetie :)

I wish she was the angel I've been waiting for but unfortunately she hates cats :(

Oh by the way, I didn't get to see her today :( I ran into work early and looked high and low for her before finding out she was taken directly to foster care with the clinic nurse.

lynnestankard
04-25-2002, 04:07 AM
Sorry you didn't get a chance to see here Aly - maybe the clinic nurse might invite you over to meet up with the lovely girl again?
I'm still so pleased she's back!:) :)

Lynne

mugsy
04-25-2002, 07:03 AM
aly, we figure that's what Smokey was used for, and we have worked with him and he is pretty much socialized with the other dogs now, except Sox, he HATES her and she is now scared to death of him, but we're working on it. We also have to feed him separately. He was also almost starved when we got him.

What's wrong with her legs? I missed that before. Aren't dogs the most beautiful forgiving beings in the universe? She is a beautiful wonder dog, that's for sure.

I'm so glad she's back!!

gini
04-25-2002, 09:02 AM
Aly, what great news. My heart just breaks, can you imagine what she has been through these past weeks?

My niece has a pit mix and it scares me to death that she will be stolen. She was adopted from a rescue at 8 weeks. The rescue shelter said there had been eight requests for her - and they turned them all down feeling strongly they wanted to raise a fighting dog.

Instead my niece has 100 pounds of pure mush - strong mush - but the most beautiful and sweet playful dog you could imagine.

My niece is now engaged and she heard her fiance say "Daddy" wants to take you for a walk now. We are all pretty crazy about him!

lovemymaltese
04-25-2002, 10:50 AM
Oh my, that is terrible. I hope that everything turns out okay. Let us know when you hear something, we will all keep our fingers crossed that she has found a good home.

Cincy'sMom
04-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Hopefully in time and with the great care I'm sure she'll get, she will be back to her old self and learn to trust other dogs again. What a miracle she made it back safe!

AmberLee
04-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by gini
... she heard her fiance say "Daddy" wants to take you for a walk now. We are all pretty crazy about him!

I think I'm going to like your nephew-to-be or nephew-in-law-to-be or whatever his correct title is!