PDA

View Full Version : Please Click Link & Sign...Troops Need Companion Animals To Come Home Too!

QueenScoopalot
06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2005_military_pets?
Please sign this in order to help our troops keep the animals they are caring for at war. It only takes a moment to send....;)

kittycats_delight
06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Jan I signed...have you posted this is CG and DG?

QueenScoopalot
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
Jan I signed...have you posted this is CG and DG?
Not yet, but I will! ;) Thanks for signing. :)

LauraT7
06-04-2005, 01:20 PM
I sent one -

and i hope you don't mind - but I'm going to cross-post this link on some other pet sites I belong to.

With all the things our (often very young) soldiers have to face over there - I know the comfort a pet or even a stray can give can make a huge difference!

I understand their desire to control disease - but this is not the way to do it.

laura

QueenScoopalot
06-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Laura...please feel free to pass it along to anyone, and everyone! And thanks for doing so. The more signatures the better, and maybe some of these animals will make it out of there alive, and live with some of our brave troops. :)

Lady's Human
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
The US Military vet corps is spread thin and overtaxed with their mission in Iraq as it is. Given the number of diseases and parasites carried by canines in the area, I'm afraid I have to agree with the military's decision.

Lady's Human
06-04-2005, 10:52 PM
To expand on the above post a little, ( I posted while at work and got a call while I was typing) it has long been a standing US Military order in theater to NOT "adopt" local strays as pets. Rabies is not the only problem. There are many locale specific parasites carried by these dogs and their fleas/ticks. Leshamiasis (sp?) is a parasitic skin disease carried in this manner, and is very difficult to treat, and removes soldiers from their duties for extended periods of time. Soldiers with this disease are medevaced to military hospitals in the US and Germany, taking resources away from soldiers who are wounded in combat.

The US Military has greatly reduced the rate of non combat illness in recent actions. Disease used to account for over 50% of casualties in theater, and reductions in disease vectors are one of the main reasons for the reductions in in hteater illness.