PDA

View Full Version : Today isn't my day

doolittleky
06-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Today the car adjuster came to look at my car. Bad news is there was so much damage that he totalled it and now I am going to have to find a used car to buy pretty quick with the estimated $3000.00 that I will be getting from the insurance company for my car. This is all so depressing.
Melissa

catmandu
06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I AM NOT A CAR EXPERT,BUT THAT DOES NOT SOUND,LIKE A LOT,OFMONEY,FOR AN USED CAR.WE ARE WISHING YOU,THE BEST,AND HOPING,THAT THERE IS A GREAT CAR,THAT NOONE WANTS,AND THAT YOU CAN AFFORD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos476.jpg

jenluckenbach
06-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Best of luck. It won't be an easy search, but you will find something!

Freckles
06-03-2005, 04:15 PM
How old is your car?

doolittleky
06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
my car is a 1994 toyota camry. It was my parent's car before they gave it to me when my car quick running on me.
This is all so depressing, some idiot crashed right into me on my driver's side because he wasn't yielding and was going way too fast and just wasn't paying attention. My door is smashed all the way into my seat and I have been having to crawl in and out the passenger side for the past month now. Three of my cats were in the car with me because I was coming home from the vet. thank God they weren't hurt! I am still having pain on my left side and alot of back pain so crawling in and out hasn't been fun. I was just less than a mile from home too.
Melissa

Thanks so much for your support

LauraT7
06-03-2005, 07:17 PM
If you've been driving the car - it might still be 'fixable'

when they 'total' a car - it just means that the estimated damage/ repair cost is more than the car is worth - in the opinion of the insurance adjustor.

A few years ago I had a fairly decent Olds Ciera - think it was a 93? Anyway - it had been a salesman's car at my brothers company, and he got it for me as a good deal - used.

Anyway, in fall of 2000 some 16 yr old girl in a little red sportscar broadsided the passenger side rear wheel and nearly tore the trunk off. (the back window broke, I couldn't open the trunk, back door, etc. It was not even drivable, as the back wheel was bent.

this girl had two teen passengers, not one of them was wearing a seatbelt, and the driver and the front seat passenger broke her windshield with their heads. They were 'hurrying' to the high school to pick up a fourth friend! She hit my back Quarter panel so hard, she spun my larger and heavier car around 2 times! and yet, the cops did NOT give her a ticket!!??

Anyway - my car.... I had taken good care of it and knew it had been maintained well. It had low milage, ran very well and got great gas milage! it had had a few other minor 'accidents' ( a friend scraped a tree with it, my mom scraped the side of the garage with it - so both front quarter panels and the other passenger door had already been replaced) The body wasn't fancy - but it was a solid, safe and dependable vehicle!

I BEGGED the insurance man NOT to 'total' my car - most people didn't understand that - somehoe they are under the impression that totalling the car means you get a new car - NOT! but I said that there was nowhere I could get a used car that was as 'dependable' and good as that Olds, for what the insurance company would give me to 'total' it.

It was close, but he didn't total it (he said he would have if I hadn't asked him to not to). i think it was around $5000 in repairs and I had it fixed and drove it for another year or two. It had very few 'original' body parts left, but it was still a great running car. I traded it in on my van in 2002.

You might find out if the car IS repairable and driveable, and if the insurance company doesn't REQUIRE you to junk it - it might be best to fix it. Depends on how bad the damage is and if it's safe. But if you've BEEN driving it - it's probably not truly 'dead' - just expensive!

Good luck!

laura

rg_girlca
06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Oh Melissa, I am so, so sorry to hear this. Poor you, but thank goodness you or your kitties weren't seriously hurt.
I'm sorry you are having pain from this and pray that you feel better real soon.

I hope you are able to find something reasonable.

((((((HUGS))))))

catcrazylady
06-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Wow Melissa! You poor thing. I swear it seems like when it rains it just pours doesn't it?
I know it doesn't feel like it now but someday this will all be a bad memory and it will all work out just fine.
Hang in there and know that we are thinking of you.:)

doolittleky
06-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone. My neighbor upstairs siad I should talk to an attorney to make sure they are giving me a fair deal. He has a friend that is a lawyer and his friend said he would look over it for free to see if I have a case or not and advise me on it for free. Plus I think I will call my insurance back and tell them the deal that the other insurance offered jsut to see what they say about it.
Melissa

catfamily
06-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh wow.I missed a lot.I didn't know you were in an accident.Times are so tough for you right now.I pray that things will only get better.Sometimes they have a lot of great used car deals at those small tiny used dealerships you see.

Craftlady
06-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Plus I think I will call my insurance back and tell them the deal that the other insurance offered jsut to see what they say about it.

It's up to you to decide "the deal" with the other insurance company. Our insurance company said to us when hubby had his truck totaled that by law they couldnt advise us what to do it was up to us to make the decision without any outside help from our insurance co. The insurance companies are considered to involved to make a reasonable advise. I know that last statement doesnt make whole like of sense, as I re-read. Trying to make sense is tough sometimes. LOL I guess plain and simple, they cant be blamed for making a choice you might not like.

NoahsMommy
06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
That sucks you were in this accident and are now faced with this. Life isn't fair sometimes, huh? :(

My mom is an auto claims adjuster and I've heard her talk about people asking not to total a vehicle....it IS possible if the damage is close enough. Its worth a try.

Good luck. :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you were in an accident:( but I'm glad that you and the cats are alright.:) I hope that you're either able to get your car fixed or find another good reliable car. Good luck.:)