PDA

View Full Version : Question about breeding....

Cataholic
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Can a dog be 'double bred'? I mean, can a dog become impregnated twice- two days apart? I am trying to figure out why my father's dog (and, yes, I talk till I am blue in the face) is carrying 9-10 puppies (boxer, and they generally don't carry a litter that large). I **know** she was bred twice, two days apart. I would like some additional facts to throw their way, and I can't find anything on the web about it.

Thanks.

aly
06-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Yup that can happen. They can birth a litter from 2 different fathers. I'll try to help find a webpage that might explain it so you can show them.

Cataholic
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I **thought** that it could, and I was telling my stepmom about it, and she said, "no, that can't happen". I was pretty sure that it could, and I feel like it was done to get more puppies. UGH. I know they will say it was done to ensure a pregnancy.

Thanks, Aly!

aly
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Ok, I found the technical name for it is "dual-sired breeding". I searched for it and came up with some sites, but none very informative. What kind of information are you looking for?

*edit* Just saw your post :)

This site says that it can happen, but doesn't say too much else about it

http://www.ruckuskennels.com/dual_sired_litters.htm

cali
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
yep it can, in Blairs litter breeze was bred twice to the same sire, 2 of the pups were from the first breeding, Blair was from the second breeding a week later, he was held on to longer then the other pups as he was deleopmentaly a full week younger then the others.

lv4dogs
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
As you now know it can happen. But I doubt it would produce more puppies. I think it is probably just a fluke that she has a larger litter than normal.

vinjashira
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
just feel like sharing...
My neighbour bred their boxer twice. They had 8 puppies from the first litter and 9 from the second litter and they all survived. So, fingers crossed that everything will be ok with your father's dog and the puppies :)

lute
06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
that is a large litter for a boxer. poor girl.:( my friend's siberian husky that is going to pop in about 2 weeks is having anywhere from 6-9 pups. that's a HUGE litter for a siberian. she got such a huge litter because they did a direct implant.

do your parents plan on spaying the dog after she weans the pups?

IRescue452
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
The number of pups depends on how many eggs were released by the female not on how many times she was bred. If there are two fathers, some can be from one and some from the other or they can all be from the same father. It depends on which males' sperm got to each egg first. If there are two different fathers you usually cannot register a purebred litter unless you "forget" to give that information when applying for papers- the registry will never know. It took me a while to convince my mom this could happen. And why doesn't it make sense to them, there are about 8 individual eggs in there and sperm from two males swimming around looking for them, I don't see why its hard to understand that the eggs can be fertilized by either. I hope all the pups survive and find good homes.

Cataholic
06-03-2005, 07:09 PM
They won't be spaying this female. They breed dogs from time to time. The sire was the same, so, there isn't any AKC or ABC issues. Thanks for the info!