PDA

View Full Version : Very UPSET and NEED your HELP!!!!

Sweetness
06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
In MISSISSIPPI how old does a person have to be to get their car in their name? My dad says i cant get my car in my name until I am 21 yrs old and I have heard you can get it in your name when you are 18 yrs old PLEASE HELP BECAUSE HE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!! I cant go anywhere at all hardly and It really makes me mad because I am 18 not 12 and I dont get the social attention that every teenager needs and craves!! I have never been able to go out much at all. Maybe times or so a year and that is it! That is why I am so immature because I havent had the friends that I need and to get to go out like I need to to learn. My dad told me one time that it would be best to not have any friends at all....and i hardly even have one friend and I would have more if he would let me go out to meet new ppl but oh no! Since he dont want to go out I cant go out....I am about to start being mean to him because I have to do all he wants to do and not what i want to do....in results i have moved out 2 times this year and still the same ole stuff! That is why i need to get me a job and get my car in my name or go buy me another car because this is about to drive me crazy and when I do get me a good job and can pay for my car, insurance, and gas and have a lot saved up guess what i am moving out ON MY OWN to get MY OWN PLACE (and when my bf gets 18 he says he is moving out and we are going to get our own place in FEB) and he cant stop me then....he can stop me now coz the car aint in my name and He will get me for so called stealin it......PLEASE HELP ME I AM TIRED OF ALL THIS!!!!!!! CRYING>>>>>>>> sorry I had to rant and i know i might get a lot of negatives from this but year after year after year it builds up on you.....and this is my only problem i have had and i cant mention them.....not yet anyways......

jennifert9
06-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry that you are so upset....:( I don't know the laws in your state but I think that you would need to be at least 18....? I think that your father is just looking out for your best interests however...I know you are at the age where you SO want to be a "grown-up" and have your own car and your own apartment but, Trust me, it is not it's all cracked up to be....$$$ first of all. Which involves working full time and struggling to pay the bills and the rent and the car payments and the insurance....YUCK!!
I don't know your situation but I think you should just enjoy living with your family and respect your father.
(I am on my super old computer so I would talk more but this thing will die any minute now...so I can't..but others will have more advice I'm sure...) Don't stress though, really...you're an intelligent beautiful young girl with a whole life in front of you...no rush!:):D

bckrazy
06-02-2005, 08:54 PM
As far as I know, you can own a car in your name when you're 18. You *are* an adult. My sister bought a new car when she was 18, and the title was in her name. You'll need to get your Dad to transfer the title to your name, so you might want to be nice to him for a while ;)... parents are annoying. He's probably just over-protective, a lot of parents are.

My advice... prove to him that you're responsible, try not to fight with him, ACT like an adult and he'll (hopefully) start to treat you like one. Definitely get a job as soon as you possibly can! :) good luck with that.

Sweetness
06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I know allthe stuff about the bills, and working which i dont mind doin at all one bit. But every since my mom died 3 yrs ago this past march my dad has been way over protective, i mean i cant even go out to visit with my friends and i amonly allowed to go out like once a week and the rest of the time i stay cooped up in the house!! Or maybe not even that a week! Add it up after 6 yrs......i have NOOOOO social life whatsoever.....what am i supposed to do?

Oggyflute
06-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Sounds like the time has come to lay it on the line with your Father. Discuss with him exactly what your issus are. If you can talk to him about it in a calm logical way then he might be more receptable to your needs. I would understand the loss you both have had and the pain that goes wirth it, so try not to burn bridges but to mend them with both of you going forward.:)

joycenalex
06-03-2005, 06:49 AM
sweetness, do you have an aunt or older female relative that you can talk to about this, so she can talk to your dad about starting to loosen up with you? all his love,care, and protectiveness cannot prevent you from growing up and away into a healthy adulthood. at some point, and soon, you've got to start making your own decisions, and there will be mistakes, but you need to make those mistakes, supported, so you can learn from them with a safety net under you. trev (oggyflute) is right, don't burn your bridges, be calm, it'll be better for the longer run. good luck

momcat
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi! I'm very sorry to hear about your Mom. It's tough losing a parent regardless of how old you are. Your Dad just lost someone who was very special to him and maybe he's afraid of losing you too. Maybe he doesn't realize that by tightening the reins on you he's not protecting you, he's pushing you away. It might help to talk with your minister, school counselor, a trusted teacher, or an adult relative you're especially close to. You're obviously in a whole lot of pain right now and my instincts tell me there are other issues going on. You do need to talk to a RESPONSIBLE ADULT about all the things that are messing up your head. The passing of your Mom is still very new and this is no time for your family to fall apart like this. This is a very difficult time for all of you. I get the sense that a sit down with your Dad isn't an option for you. Please talk to someone asap!
I guess the next question is, have you ever given your Dad a reason not to trust you? You don't have to tell any of us, just answer honestly to your own self. That could certainly be part of the problem. At 18 we think we're grown and can accomplish anything we want. In a sense that's true, I felt that way when I was 18. But you're just starting out in a world that can be wonderful yet at the same time rather cruel. There's plenty of time, don't rush into anything. As for the car, you can call your state Division of Motor Vehicles to find out how old you have to be for the title to be in your name. That's a matter of public record.
Please,please,please don't make any hasty decisions right now. Talk to someone right away so hopefully there will be no regrets down the road.....

Sweetness
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks ya'll. I mean i am a teenager we all do something sooner or later that makes our parents not trust us at one point or another. It's just i have no social life and i feel bad because i cant catch on to what others say coz i dont get to get out to see what they all talk about....if that made any sense....lol. I will be back later.