PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now/recently read?

primabella
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry if a tread like this has been made recently but I'm just curious to see what anyone else may be reading now or has recently read.. :)

This past year I've read Da Vinci Code (by Dan Brown), Third Girl (by Agatha Christie), I Know This Much is True (by Wally Lamb) and am currently reading Angels & Demons (by Dan Brown). Out of all of them, I'd definitely recommend I Know This Much is True... it is amazing. I couldn't put it down. Has anyone else read it? :) I'm looking into buying his other novels.

I'm enjoying Angels & Demons, but it's a lot like Da Vinci Code and the similarities can be annoying. :o

I'd love to hear what you guys are reading, or recommend. :)

wolfsoul
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Generally I'm a big reader and can never put a book down -- however, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't read a book all year. I've been too busy reading everything on the internet. :o

Currently I'm supposed to be done reading a book for English because I have a test on it on Monday. But, I figure that since I got a B on both the last book tests I did, without reading either book, I wont need to read this one either. :p

catnapper
06-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I just finished a really sill book called "A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court" IT was sooo silly, and a fun read. I normally don't read stuff like that but I HAD to get it after I saw the cover! :D

Edit to add scanned cover.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/runningdad/book.jpg

Now who couldn't waste a few nights reading this piece of fluff?

binka_nugget
06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm trying to finish off "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck for English Class. I was supposed to read it a month ago and there's just a little over 100 pages... I hate being forced to read.

After this, I'm gonna try finishing off the books by Nicholas Sparks.

Glacier
06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Out of all of them, I'd definitely recommend I Know This Much is True... it is amazing. I couldn't put it down. Has anyone else read it? :) I'm looking into buying his other novels.

I'd love to hear what you guys are reading, or recommend. :)

Wally's Lamb's books are great. "She's Come Undone" is just as good as I know this much is true!

I'm currently reading Dean Koontz' "The Taking" and a book about Lenord Seppela.

kittycats_delight
06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
I have just finished "wuthering heights by emily bronte" and am now reading 2 books "Moby Dick by Hermann Melville" and "Lysistrata/The Acharnians/The Clouds which is Aristophane"

Jods
06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
I just finished reading V.C Andrews Child of Darkness. I love V.C andrews!! Now I;m reading Missy's murder a true story about a teenager killed by her friends its a horrible tragedy what they did to her. They were jealous of her beauty and before killing her cut her hair off to torture her :(

jennifert9
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm glad you started this thread because I am always looking for something to read!! I am ALWAYS reading one book or another...usually nothing "literary", just something fun to read!! :) I just finished The Second Assistant by Clare Naylor and Mimi Hare. It was a fun book to read! I think I have wiped the library out of everything!! I can't afford to buy books so I often go to Barnes & Noble with a pen and pad and write down a list of the books I want to read. Then I take that list to the library and put the books on hold! I usually get them within a few weeks (the only one I didn't was Da Vinci Code actually! But I have heard that Angels and Demons was much better) Anyway, I'm reading a book now by Olivia Goldsmith that I can't even remember the name of...but I like this thread because it will give me some good ideas for something that will captivate me...! :D

IRescue452
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I have a book rating page, never mind that its off neopets- it is a free user page with all the websites for idiots guides that I need.
http://home.neopets.com/templates/homepage.phtml?pet_name=hlaoroo452
I recommend the Wanting Seed if you like a really messed up book. I usually pick my books by going to a self and pulling off the first book I see. I've read some pretty good books that way. I haven't updated the page in a while but my latest is Penny: The Story of a Free Soul Basset Hound.

catmandu
06-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I AM READING CAT,IN A HOT PINK PURSUIT,BY CAROLE NELSON DOUGLAS,AS I LOVE MIDNIGHT LOUIE.THE CAT PI.AND ED MCBAIN,AND A BOOK,ON MARVEL COMICS,TALES TO ASTONISH.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1165.jpg

gkristian
06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I'm trying to finish off "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck for English Class. I was supposed to read it a month ago and there's just a little over 100 pages... I hate being forced to read.

i had to read that last year for Engish aswell. I know it's only a small book, but it took me a long time to finish because i didn't enjoy it.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, but so far this year i've read "Puberty Blues" (i had to read it for English), The colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett and Lord of the Ring the Fellowship of the Ring.

PJ's Mom
06-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm trying to read "The Golden Key" by Melanie Rawn, but I'm thinking that being stabbed repeatedly in the eye might be more fun. :p

I don't know what I'll read next.

kimboe
06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
I just finished "Carolina Moon" by Nora Roberts. And i am starting to read "Vinyl Cafe-Unplugged" by Stuart McLean. It actually starting off pretty funny, it's a bunch of little stories all in one. I would recommend it, it's not too bad. And it's a small book.:)
I just bought a book from the flee market and was wondering if anyone has read anything from ANNA LEE WALDO? (Circle of Stones)

The Cat Factory
06-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Right now I am reading The Chronicles Of Narnia :)

wolfsoul
06-03-2005, 12:52 AM
I read that book last year. It seems boring, but once you start to understand what's going on it gets better. It's actually quite sad and was certainly controversial back in the day. If you need any tips let me know. I think I remember most of it.

Palomino21
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
I am reading Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts. It is book # 2 of the 3 part Irish Trilogy. I love it and it makes me want to travel to Ireland so bad. It is magical and at the same time realistic too. Nora Roberts does a great job in combining the two.

I have also read Sweet Valley University (have a huge collection), and I have also read a bunch of self help books. I hardly can put down my books. I read more in the winter though.

K9soul
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett right now. After that I have Patrick by Steven Lawhead lined up to read.

In general my favorite genre is historical fiction.

momcat
06-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Currently I'm reading the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. It's an 8 part series that follows a family from pre-revolutionary times right on up. I'm on book 6 now which covers the civil war. For history buffs, highly recommended. I'm also a big Stephen King fan and often wonder what my Literature professors from college would say about that. James Michner is also a favorite. If you're looking for something light and really funny, try "The Education of Hyman Kaplan". The author's last name is Parkhill, don't remember his first name. Enjoy your reading experiences!!!!!

prechrswife
06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Currently I'm reading Star Wars: Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn. I read to relax, so I tend to gravitate toward things like mystery/suspense or science fiction. I also love the Mitford books by Jan Karon.

primabella
06-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll defnitely be looking into some of these. :)

Ash, I loved "Of Mice and Men".. we read it for English two years ago. But of course, being forced to read is never fun and I only appreciated it once all the assignments and work we had to do was handed it and over with. It's a really sweet story.

Glacier, isn't Lamb's writing style amazing? :D I plan on buying "She's Come Undone" as soon as I finish reading Angels & Demons.

I also read a few plays and books in class this past semester; we read The Iliad (which was so awesome, I loved it) by Homer, and a number of plays for my contemporary drama classes: The Glass Menagerie, Raisin in the Sun, Fences, 'night Mother, and Oedipus Rex.

Has anybody read the Shopaholic books? I heard they're really funny. :)

Randi
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I've just read " Cats in the news" by Martyn Lewis - I quite enjoyed it. :) I normally read before going to sleep, but it has to be something light.

CagneyDog
06-03-2005, 11:49 AM

After this, I'm gonna try finishing off the books by Nicholas Sparks.

I read it for school about a month ago. It was a pretty good book. If you have any questions about it I could probably help you :)

Right now I am reading "Bringing Up Beauty". I love that book, It's about raising a guide dog.

CagneyDog
06-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by primabella

Has anybody read the Shopaholic books? I heard they're really funny. :)

I've read them. The first one (Confessions Of A Shopoholic) is good but they get kind of repetitive after a while:p

jenfer
06-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I read 4 comic books last 2 weeks or so and just this week I started to re-read Harry Potter Book 5 in Chinese :D I need to refresh my memory and get ready for Book 6. And throught out the year and past year I just read a whole bunch of mysterious book... CSI... etc. I love to read. :D