PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Jods
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
I was gonna pist this earlier this week, but never got around to it till Zam (kimmy's cat) reminded me. Pixie will NOT stop running out the door whenever its opened. I don't know why she wants out so bad she's only ever been out once for like 10 min when I first got her last summer. Now it has gotten extremly worse whenever I get up she runs to the door thinking I'm going out and meows and meows for 10 min each time I get up. Its extremly hard to watch her at all times since we have three doors to outside. I'm so nervous shes gonna do a zoomie right past the yard one time. She has gotten out past us and when she does she just sits or lays in the step. Fifa did this too when he was an itty bitty kitty all we did was make a loud noise and it was enough to keep him away from the door. Think that will work for her NOPE!!! :mad: I dunno what to do. My brother being the age he is is constantly having people over and I'm afraid she'll scoot out cuz a stranger wouldn't be paying attention. What do I do??

jazzcat
06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't know if this would help for Pixie but it did with Ripley years ago. We had to train him with a water bottle to stop doing things he shouldn't (biting, scratching, chewing and getting on counters). After so many squirts with water it only took shaking the bottle to make him stop. When he started trying to dart out the door I started keeping the water bottle nearby and would shake it every time I was about to go out the door. Pretty soon he got the idea and finally stopped waiting to make a dash.

I've been lucky so far that no other kitty has been a big door darter, with the exception of Rumor and Jazz every once in a while, but if anyone starts that up the water bottle will be back out.

cruisetime
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
The water bottle worked on Meka a few times then she'd stand there and let you soak her down! I put her in the bathroom a few times when I needed to go in and out. Now she is better but what seemed to do the trick is any time she ran past me and got out (mostly in the garage) or Max has gotten to the back yard we put the offending cat in the carrier for about 1-2 hours. They hate this and meow the whole time but think twice the next time they want out. After a few times of the carrier Meka doesn't dart out at all and Max well we are working on him - he just started the door thing. SOmetimes I start to play with him and he forgets all about the door. Not sure what starts it up but I did see a mouse out in the backyard eating the birdfood and maybe that is what he has been seeing and wanting out for. When he last got out he just explored around real slow as long as I didn't chase him. Eventually walking real slow I'm able to get him and bring him inside and put him directly in the carrier.... Much as I hate to do this if I'm consistant in it it works... Debbie

catmandu
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
THIS YEAR,I AM PUTTING SOME MONEY ASIDE,AND I AM GOING,TO ENCLOSE,THE FRONT PORCH,AS THE FOUND CATS,DO TAHT TOO,TRYING,TO NEAK,OUT ON ME,ESPECIALLY,A CERTAIN LARGE GRAY,AND WHITE TUXEDO.WHO RUNS OUT,AT WILL.ALTHOUGH,HE WAS SCARED LAST TIME,BY A TOT,ON A TRYCYCLE,AND MAY WELL,HAVE LEARNED HIS LESSON.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1165.jpg

Shady
06-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Mine dont try for the door ever, but what does get their attention and they hate (I use for the odd time they misbehave) is canned air, the stuff you use to clean dust off of electonic components etc.

The sound of that scares them silly, they stop whatever it is they are doing and scatter. Water didnt work for my guys they just want to play with that.

Jods
06-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Pixie doesn't mind the water bottle that much, but it will get her to stop what shes doing I will try it. Thanks :)

catnapper
06-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Perhaps you might want to think of harness training her. That way she'll know the smells and general area of the outside of your house, and that way if she does get out unawares, she'll know not to stray, and know a safe place to hang out until you find her. We did that with Poucner and now if he gets out, he'll just hang out on the side of the house, or one of the porches. Luckily, Harry and Abby have no interest in the outside and have not become door dodgers.

Also, if you harness train her. she'll know there's a certain time of day she'll be allowed to go out, and therefore won't be so eager to go out herself.

Jods
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
I was thinking of harness training her, but I was afraid she would get worse. Also if I did I would HAVE to be out with her cuz I'm paranoid, but thats okay lol :)

catnapper
06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Yep, harness trainging involves you being out with her. Pouncer took ten seconds to get out of his harness when he was unwathced