PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Long Time No Talk, with question

Rio and Me
06-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello i'm back , ive been lurking occasionaly.
Rio is great and happy, and Bax is well 7 MONTHS OLD!!!
He's a big hairy beast, so handsome,clever, and fluffy!
My brother has just rescued a GSD 2 yrs old intire, boistrus male, called brandy, hes great with my dogs etc!
Pictures on there way!

My question is that Bax has quite bad back legs, hes a bit wobbly, not in pain, but i was wandering if there was any vitimins/exersizes i could to to improve them, as i want to do agility and manwork with him?
Anyhelp much apreciated!

Ky rio and Bax

finn's mom
06-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Nice to see you! :) Glad to hear everyone is well, but, sorry to hear about Bax's legs, is that hip displasia? I hope not! I don't have any advice, but, I'm sure someone in here will stories and/or advice to give you. I hope he is able to improve!

pnance
06-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd actually have his legs looked and by a vet to rule out anything to serious if you haven't already. I have one with arthritis and 1 that had hip dysplasia. The arthritis one was put on glucosomine/chondroitin, the hip dysplasia one required surgery so depending on the problem will depend on how to treat it w/o making it worse.

lv4dogs
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd see what is causing his back legs bad first. Some things may not be helped by vitamins/supplements.

I wouldn't even consider doing any agility with any dog that has any kind of mobility issues.

I saw pics of him on your other thread & he is a cutie! Kudos to your bro for saving him.

lizbud
06-02-2005, 06:27 PM
If his legs are quite bad then that pretty much rules out agility.
I agree that Bax should be seen by a Vet to determine the best
treatment for him. He's still young and hopefully could be helped
a lot. Good luck.

wolfsoul
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I would go to the vet and rule out hip/elbow dysplasia. It's VERY common in GSDs --- it happens all the time. Out of all the breeds, GSDs get it the most. It can be quite serious, so I'd get that checked out. Otherwise, give him glucosamine supplements (and/or chondroitin or shark cartilage) to help strengthen the ligaments and prevent dysplasia. I'm not sure of the exact amounts, but I do know that the stuff you buy for dogs is usally pretty useless. The stuff made for people is better.

bckrazy
06-03-2005, 02:00 AM
I agree with Wolfsoul :( definitely see your vet about this!! It sounds like he's a 'hock-walker'... this has become very, very common in show-bred GSD's. I've met many GSD's that have problems with their hind legs and back and hips because of the way show (AKC, mostly) German Shepherds are bred - for a very exaggerated sloped back and haunches and hocks. It looks striking, but this is the downfall of all of that show breeding :(... I met a GSD pup that had been abandoned, he was absolutely *gorgeous* but he couldn't walk on his hocks because they were so grotesquely sloped/exaggerated. He was AKC registered from prominent show lines, and he was dumped by uneducated people who did not want to deal with the vet bills :rolleyes:

He probably will need supplements and maybe even physical therapy if it gets worse, OR he could just be going through a clumsy puppy stage :p! I HOPE it isn't dysplasia, it would be horrible if such a young pup got it! Bax looks super handsome :) I hope this is nothing and he gets all better soon.