PDA

View Full Version : Animal Training (cat)

NoahsMommy
02-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi!

I have to give a presentation in my psych class in three weeks on animal training. I have to train an animal to do something it wouldn't ordinarily do, such as traing a dog to press a botton when asked.

Do you have any ideas on what I could train one of my cats or bunnies to do? I have no clue!!

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Kelly! How fun!

Can't think of anything at the moment, but if/when I do, I'll let ya know!

How have ya been? Long time, no email! lol

Take care!

NoahsMommy
02-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Tonya!! I knew you would be a great person to ask...yes, please think about it for me!

When I get home, I will finally check my email, I am so sorry sweetie!!!

NoahsMommy
02-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Jeez....what am I going to train one of them to do?? How about, how to NOT attack the kitty tent if the other kitty is in there?? hee hee :rolleyes:

Logan
02-04-2002, 10:21 PM
I am no help here!! But if you are successful, please share the results and the technique!! I have "trained" Butter to run when I see him next to the bird cage. :o

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 10:25 PM
Train them NOT to throw up hairballs in the middle of the night, so you don't step in them...Nuthin' worse than a cold hairball...well, maybe a warm one...lol

No, seriously...I'm still thinking about it...

Former User
02-05-2002, 02:22 AM
I know, I know, they are cats, but how about teaching Noel or Noah giving you a paw for a treat? I've been trying to teach Casper and Kitty to do this, and managed to have Casper do it once! Just have to br really patient, they rather start playing with me than paying attention. :rolleyes:

Well, whatever you decide to do, hope it is a success! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

lynnestankard
02-05-2002, 06:20 AM
....how about eating from a dish of food when it's placed in front of them?:D

Sorry Kelly couldn't resist!! But I'm thinking about it - honestly.

Lynne

Pam
02-05-2002, 07:05 AM
Nuthin' worse than a cold hairball...well, maybe a warm one...lol

:D :D :D :D

C.C.'s Mom
02-05-2002, 07:17 AM
An easy trick: the cat has to meow before she gets a treat. It worked with mine faster than the speed of light!

Rottie
02-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by C.C.'s Mom
An easy trick: the cat has to meow before she gets a treat. It worked with mine faster than the speed of light!

That's what I was going to suggest. But, before you give the treat to them, hold it up and say, "What's two minus one?", after they meow, they get the treat.

The way I taught it was you just sit there holding the treat until they happen to meow for you. Then give it to them immediatly.

My kitty will do it sometimes........

wolflady
02-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh, what a fun project!!:) Having them meow for a treat is a good suggestion, and can be learned fairly quickly:)

One thing that we taught one of our cats to do was fetch! Scooter, believe it or not plays fetch with us. We started out with a tinfoil ball, since he had a tendency to play with them anyway. When he would drop it somewhat close to one of us, we would reward him, usually with a treat. Eventually he was bringing it right to us!! A pretty cool trick, because people usually associate that kind of behavior with a dog. The only difference is in the way cats and dogs are motivated. Dogs are motivated by the urge to please a pack member (ie humans), whereas cats are motivated to please themselves! LOL LOL:rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know what you do!

NoahsMommy
02-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys!! I am going to try to have them give me a paw for a treat. If that doesn't work, I'll "groom" thier abilities to fetch, they do this already, but not on command....hmmm....so many great ideas!! Thank you!

NoahsMommy
02-12-2002, 07:13 PM
They are doing it!!! Noel caught on right away!!! Noah is a bit slow, but I think they would do ANYTHING for chicken!!

COOL!!!!! :) :D :) :D :)

lynnestankard
02-13-2002, 02:59 AM
Oh well done Kelly :D :D

Lynne

Former User
02-13-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
but I think they would do ANYTHING for chicken!!

oh, quite the opposite here, Casper and Kitty won't do anything for chicken, they hate chicken! But let's bring fish flavoured treats and they are all mine :D (the cats, not the treats LOL:D )

Helen
02-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Sadie knows that at meal times, "No rub, no grub!" means that she has to do a figure of eight through our legs. Silly, really, as she would probably do it automatically anyway. But it seems to give us a bit of pleasure.