PDA

View Full Version : Side of the road puppy peddlers

Pit Chick
06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20949~2894889,00.html

Sick dogs sold for fast buck

Dishonest sellers break hearts

By Amy Raisin Darvish, Staff writer

SANTA CLARITA - Eleven-year-old Shannon Lieu could barely contain her excitement when she bought her first puppy from a man near the Valencia post office.
Two days later, her bichon frise became sluggish, got diarrhea and wouldn't eat. On May 13, just six days after spending $300 on their pet, Lieu's parents had her dog put down.

The vet knew the score: Shannon was the latest victim among a growing number of pet buyers who fall prey to street hustlers selling sick puppies as high-priced, purebred dogs. The puppies soon show signs of illness, then often die from highly contagious diseases.

"This is an emotional crime," said Jennifer Lieu, Shannon's mother, an attorney who lives in Saugus with her husband and two children.

"The papers this man gave us were fake. The phone number on the papers, we called and it was not a real number. We spent $160 at the vet but the dog was suffering. We finally had to (put him to sleep)."

Veterinary clinics across the Santa Clarita Valley have seen an alarming number of sick puppies bought from private vendors outside businesses like Target, Kmart and fast food restaurants, said Teri Ehrman, vet technician at Saugus Animal Hospital.

The puppies, mostly small breeds like poodles, bichon frises and mixed breeds, then show up at clinics suffering from internal and external parasites, distemper and parvovirus, some of which prove fatal.

In the last six months, Saugus Animal Hospital has seen between 30 and 35 such cases, five or six of which have died, she said.

"Everyone who's come in has said the same thing, that they got the puppy outside" a local business, Ehrman said. "This is a total scam. I'm just horrified by the whole thing."

Parvo is a viral disease that affects puppies far more than adult dogs because it grows quickest in rapidly dividing cells, especially in the intestinal tract. As the virus attacks these cells, afflicted puppies often develop severe diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite and lethargy.

There is no cure for parvovirus and, if left untreated, most puppies die of dehydration. The virus is highly contagious and can survive in doggie beds, dirt and carpeting for up to 18 months.

"These puppy breeders just keep breeding these dogs that are probably already infected," Ehrman said. "Or the virus is already living in the dog's environment, so each new batch of puppies is immediately exposed to the virus.

"Every weekend, there's a new batch of puppies out there for sale. People need to know ... to be aware of where they get their dog."

One Canyon Country woman bought a poodle puppy last April from a man at a shopping center at Bouquet Canyon and Newhall Ranch roads. The little white pup with one black ear was to be a Mother's Day present for her mom.

The woman paid $300 for the dog and documents stating it had been de-wormed and given a clean bill of health by a veterinarian.

The puppy, which she named Pookie, soon got sick. After paying two animal clinics about $2,400 to save the dog, it died a week later in the woman's lap.

"What these people are doing is not right," said the woman, Irene, 20, a Canyon Country resident who would only give her first name.

Irene reported the seller to the Santa Clarita sheriff's station. Unfortunately, she said, there is no law against selling puppies.

So she has vowed to warn as many as possible against falling for the scam that left her and her mother devastated. She had it aired on a local radio station. She made fliers and hung them around her neighborhood.

But that didn't take away the pain inflicted on her dog and family.

"We had to tell my mom (about the dog) on Mother's Day because we didn't really have anything for her. She just started to cry."

---
Amy Raisin Darvish, (661) 257-5254 [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of ways to make it hard on the A-holes selling the puppies outside of these stores:

Go up to them and tell them you were just inside the store and you overheard the manager saying they were calling the cops on them for being out there.

If that doesn't drive them off:

Call the store manager and tell them that as you were on your way into their store, you saw people selling puppies/kittens outside of their store/parking lot and you are outraged that they would allow people to sell sick, innocent animals at their store and that you refuse to shop there until they are gone and you are going to call your friends and family and tell them not to shop there also. Feel free to embelish.

True, they may move down the road, but they will probably be too paranoid to set up shop somewhere else and their stuck with the pups for a little while longer.

moosmom
06-02-2005, 01:14 PM
That is sinful!! I have a better idea. Go in the store, call the cops and have the cops arrest the guy and confiscate the puppies.

Suki Wingy
06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I can't belive this. People work their @$$es off to rescue animals like these and then they produce more and more.:mad: Selling puppies like that should be illegal, let alone sick ones! Poor puppies.:mad:

sammy101
06-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Theres quite a few around here:mad: Just across the street from the mall,theres about 4-6 different people selling Pit Bull pups:mad: who knows where they came from!?I've also seen German Shepherds,Weimarners,Dachshounds(spll?),Labs,Beagl es,and so many more...it disgusts me.
I once told a friend i would never buy from people from ths side of the road..and she said thats how we got Ralphie(her Doxie).I dont think i could buy from the side of the road,its not right...
and i agree,it should be illegal!:mad:

QueenScoopalot
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
As the old saying goes..live and learn. I'd order cards from http://www.stoppuppymills.org/ and hand them out to all those ooohing and ahhing brainless people who see nothing but cuteness. It may save them a few dollars, but more importantly it may save lives. When these BYB are put out of business (I'm not holding my breath) through education, it will be a time to rejoice. ;)

Pit Chick
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
That is a great idea QS, thanks for the link. I'll definately be ordering some.

mina'smomma
06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
We got lucky with Rocky. We bought him outside of our local sporting goods store for $200.00 about 19 years ago. We lost him two years ago to old age. By then he was blind, deaf, his system was shutting down and rather then continue to watch him suffer we had to put him down. He was a purebred cocker spaniel.

lizbud
06-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Aren't there laws (city & state) that prohibit this? I doubt these
people have a license to sell any animal. I'd call the police, Mall
manager, store manager, etc,etc. To complain loudly against this
practice.

Oggyflute
06-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Makes me so sad and angry.:( :mad:

Vette
06-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Yeesh. :(

and it thought seeing people try to give away puppies or kittnes in boxes while they sit at the door entrance way saying (do you want a free puppy / kitten) was bad enough. and the store gives them permission to do so. or at least ours does... they think that if people decide to get one of the puppies or kittens that they will buy puppy or kitten food and collars and toys and stuff from the store. :(