PDA

View Full Version : finally rescued a feral family

lv4dogs
06-02-2005, 07:39 AM
My friend & I have been trying to catch a feral litter of 3 kittens, mom & dad for a few weeks now. We finally got everyone except the dad. We are still trying to get him.

The kittens are about 8-11 weeks, very big & healthy! They have ear mites but no fleas or any other symptoms. All are boys. 2 are orange tigers & one is a grey tiger.

My friend is keeping one of the orangies & I am keeping the grey tiger who is now named Tiki. They came around pretty fast, just a few days is all it took for them to gain our trust. The other orangie is at my friends house, he's taking a bit longer to come out of his shell. She's not sure if she will keep him or find a home for him.

The mom has a very nice home, an older lady a few houses down from my friend is keeping her. She's already been to vet for a check up & spay & she is 100% healthy. She is really soaking up the human attention. I couldn't believe how fast her turn around was. She was so feral & protective that she attacked our other friend, Chris who assisted in catching the kitties.

The male is very feral. He has ear mites so bad his ears are all tore up from scratching and he's missing the tips to his ears probably from frosstbite. He also has an URI but he seems to be fighting it as it is starting to get better. He is an orangie tiger too. He is starting to get closer & closer to us & the trap. Hopefully we can get him soon so he can get neutered & tested. He will probably be a T&R cat as he is just plain wild.

Sorry it took so long to post this but I have been so busy & my computer is not working that great. I'll post pics hopefully next week sometime. My computer is all goofed up & I'm trying to get it fixed.

catnapper
06-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Wow, you did a lot of work, and an awesome job!!! You not only captured them, but found homes and tamed them! BRAVO!

QueenScoopalot
06-02-2005, 08:59 AM
CATGRATULATIONS!!!! Good job! ;) :D :)

catmandu
06-02-2005, 09:00 AM
THAT POOR CAT,IS AFRAID,OF PEOPLE,AS THE PEOPLE,THAT HE HAS BEEN,IN CONTACT,WITH HAVE NOT BEEN VERY GOOD,TO HIM.AND I KNOW,THAT EVENTUALLY,YOU WILL CATCH,AND NEUTER HIM,BREAKING,THAT CHAIN,OF UNWANTED KITTENS.GOOD LUCK,AND BLESS YOU,FOR GETTING,THAT MOM CAT,AND KITTENS,OUT OF DANGER.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture359.jpg

SCRAPPY 2,SAYS WAY,TO GO.YOU ARE MY HERO.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Congratulations on a job well done! Like Catnapper says, not only did you trap them, but found them homes too - awesome! :D

kimlovescats
06-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Awesome job, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Good luck getting the Daddy Cat .... he has to be retired from fatherhood!!!:rolleyes: ;)

cruisetime
06-02-2005, 10:01 AM
You did a lot of work! You did wonderfully!!! So glad even mamma got a home. Good luck with Dad - prayers your way that you are able to catch and neuter him. Does a vet in your area help with the cost by any chance? Been wondering about this as there are a bunch of strays unfixed around my rent house that the neighbor feeds and been wandering about catching and releasing them - I can't have any more per hubby. But they keep having kittens and kittens and kittens - very out of control... Thanks for any advice you can give. Debbie

momcat
06-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Bless you!!!!! You are a true hero in every sense of the word!!!!! Mommy and babies were saved and you found them furever homes, we all know that's not always easy to do. As for daddy cat, I do hope you'll be able to get him so he can get some vet help. Your efforts and hard work are an inspiration to everyone. My kitty Groucho sends you purrs and kitty kisses for helping this feral family. Again, bless you!!!!!

moosmom
06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Great job!! Good luck catching the dad.

BTW, if you want to get rid of earmites, fleas, ticks, etc., put Revolution on all of the cats.

lv4dogs
06-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by cruisetime
You did a lot of work! You did wonderfully!!! So glad even mamma got a home. Good luck with Dad - prayers your way that you are able to catch and neuter him. Does a vet in your area help with the cost by any chance? Been wondering about this as there are a bunch of strays unfixed around my rent house that the neighbor feeds and been wandering about catching and releasing them - I can't have any more per hubby. But they keep having kittens and kittens and kittens - very out of control... Thanks for any advice you can give. Debbie

I know what you're talking about, believe me. The cat population is insane.

I did speak with my vet & she is giving me a small discount for stray cats that I find. My friend also gets a discount through her vet for strays. It wasn't too much of a discount though so I looked around and found an organization near me called Habitat for cats. They will pay for 100% of services for FERAL only cats AND I am responsible for the cat, they will not transport or keep the cat I have to do all of that. So the dad will be going there when I get him. As for the rest of this family, they were all semi-handable which is considered just a stray not feral so Habitat for Cats won't help me with them.
In my searches I found that a lot of the shelters will take the cats too, BUT this time of year they will only accept young &/or handable cats because they are filled with cats.