PDA

View Full Version : Thyroids and seaweed

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi all :)

I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to research this on the net or had a chance to call my doc about it so I was wondering if any of you know anything.

I was reading some sort of health magazine the other day that was talking about the health benefits of seaweed. In the fine print of the article, it mentioned that if you have "a thyroid condition" you should check with your doctor first. Why? What sort of effect does seaweed have on the thyroid?

I'm curious because I do have "a thryoid condition" and recently had a seaweed bath at a spa. It was wonderful, but afterwords I felt sick to my stomach (didn't actually throw up but sure felt like I could) and then I developed one of the worst headaches I've ever had in my life! I didn't know about seaweed and "thryoid conditions" at the time but now this makes me wonder if it was the seaweed that made me so sick?

Sirrahsim
06-01-2005, 10:35 PM
From what I understand, seaweed is quite high in Iodine, which can interfere with the absorption of T4. I know I'm not allowed to eat it (yay! another reason to avoid sushi!!) but I'm not sure exactly why.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
From what I understand, seaweed is quite high in Iodine, which can interfere with the absorption of T4.

Thanks Missy. I was thinking it had something to do with the iodine but didn't know how or why either.

Anybody else have any ideas? Missy, maybe your mom knows more - being a nurse and all. ;) Or is she still catching up on her jet lag? :)

Barbara
06-02-2005, 03:29 AM
I think there are thyroid conditions where you need iodine and others where too much would be dangerous.

In the mountains in earlier times some people developped a goiter (med. struma) because they lacked iodine. So people who don't live near the sea should use sea salt - that's already enough to avoid it.