PDA

View Full Version : poodle allergy?

Judy J
05-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I have a 5 yr old toy poodle. She has had a lot of trouble. For the last year she has like a choking, sneezing, problem. Sometimes it seems more severe than others. I have had her to the vet, and all he says is benadryl. I have tried it and triaminic syrup. Sometimes it doesn't seem to help. I am desperate for help for my little candi. She is also nasally congested. Can anyone help me? Has anyone else been through this? Doesn't seem to be seasonal either. There must be some way to help her. This is everyday. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Judy

Scooby4
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
You may want to try to adjust the dosage of the benadryl. I have given Scooby a whole capsule before without problem. He's about 25 lbs. He's allergic to fleas and turns pink upon exposure. The benadryl doesn't help all the time either.
Check the environment. Do you run the air conditioning? Air conditioning or laying near the vent may effect the dog's sinuses. Are their smokers in the house? Do you use a carpet freshener? Something the dog is being exposed to on a daily basis may be the issue. Have you changed the dog's shampoo?Chemicals on the grass near where the dog pees?
Experiment a little to see what things typically effect your sinuses in the same way. Something is irratating the inside of your doggie's nose. Good luck!

Pam
06-01-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't have any ideas of my own but do think that Scooby4 has touched on some things that you might think about. What new products have you been using in your home for the past year, etc.

Welcome to Pet Talk. We have a couple of things in common I see. I am a grandmom too :) and I am also a poodle lover. I have had poodles all of my married life. Started with two toys in 1970 and currently have a standard and a mini. I think you could call me a poodle freak. LOL! I'd love to see your little one if you would care to try your hand at posting pics. :)

jodi
06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
My lab is allergic to most things in dog food. It affects her skin and ears. We tried to find food that didn't have thoes ingredients but it didn't work so our vet put her on shots that last a month.
jodi

Judy J
06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I appreciate your help so much for my poodle. All suggestions are appreciated. Seems as if I will have to be a detective to try to find out why, she is so miserable. So far nothing rings a bell. It is so great to have people that care and try to help. Thank You!!! Judy