PDA

View Full Version : -sigh- Hurricane Season...

Kfamr
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
...Starts tomorrow.

Right now it's pouring down rain, I can hear the wind howling, and it's thundering and lightning very loudly. I'm already feeling the stress just thinking about it.

Please someone get me out of this craphole of a state. :(
I don't need this stress at all.. I don't want to watch the news for hours and hours worrying about where a stupid storm is going. I don't want to watch homes getting destroyed, trees falling down, home being flooded.

Wasn't it just yesterday we went through this? Stupid weather better not ruin our PT BBQ. :mad:

Everyone please stay safe and for those of you who don't have to deal with it, please have us that do in your thoughts. It's a very stressful time of year for everyone down here. :(

CagneyDog
05-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Florida sure got their share of hurricanes last year! I hope this year wont be as bad. You, and everyone living in Florida will be in my thoughts.

I’ve always dreamed of living in Florida but the thought of being in a hurricane terrifies me. :p

sammy101
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
we had a HUGE storm come through here...errr..Sunday night,it was horrible:eek: THe thunder and lightning..ack i hated it.We got lots of damage in the city also.I heard this season is supposed to be a buisy one,with lots of storms,oh wonderful:rolleyes: I'm making sure the kids have lots of food in stock just incase a bad storm comes.

dukedogsmom
05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
I started to start a thread this morning when that crap woke me up. I'm definately not looking forward to it.

gini
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
When the prediction for this season came on the news, I thought about all of you in Florida.

I just pray that they are wrong!

CountryWolf07
06-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by gini
When the prediction for this season came on the news, I thought about all of you in Florida.

I just pray that they are wrong!

Agreed.

Oggyflute
06-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Hope the weather doesn't get bad, best thoughts and wishes for all PTer's that are affected by this.

LKPike
06-01-2005, 08:08 AM
awww no :( so close to the barbq thats not fair at all :( I hope everyone still gets to go, and we get to see all those fun in the SUN pics soon! :(

Jadapit
06-01-2005, 08:15 AM
All of you that live in Florida will be in my thoughts. I cant imagine having to go through that every summer.:(

LorraineO
06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
We got a direct hit from Hurricane Juan here in Nova Scotia Canada,,, it was WILD!!!!! The eye was just about a mile from our place,,, frankly,, I didnt mind the storm so much,, it was going without power for 5 days that got to me!!!! I am a weather freak,,, the wilder the better!!!! (As long as no one is killed of course!)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Last years hurricanes have scarred me for life. I had nightmares about them for months. The nightmares are gone now, but the stress is still here.
I get headaches thinking about it. The stress last summer caused my menstrual cycles to be all out of whack, and they still are. Since last year I've been getting my period about every 60-65 days.

The hardest part is we have to evacuate our house and go to Justin's parent's house. We have to load up all the animals in their travel cages and take them with us.

After the hurricane is over we have to deal with being without power in some of the hottest weather I've ever experienced. It's so humid, muggy, and sticky after the hurricanes came through. There was no breeze at all for days. Everything was so very calm, which made it that much more uncomfortable. Last year after hurricane Charley we were with out power for 5 days, which for us that also means no running water because we have a well. After we got our power back we were still without a/c for 14 days because the outside unit broke.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Oh I forgot to add this:

Hurricane Prep. tax free (http://www.wftv.com/news/4521462/detail.html)

Logan
06-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I think the state of Florida has done a great thing by offering these tax free days on items needed for a hurricane. I hope none of you will need them, but will take advantage of the fact that many necessary items are available tax free.

Anita Cholaine
06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
This is terrible!! I hope you and evrybody'll be ok. We don't hear about hurricanes very often here!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I guess all I can say is stay safe, Kay - and all you others in Florida. Two weeks ago we were on one of the Alabama barrier islands that had been hit. Things weren't as bad as I expected...in a way...but were worse than I expected in another way...it was weird...just kind of spooky to see a popular beach resort type area to be relatively deserted except for construction crews.

So far this year the weather has been weird all over. California has gotten way more rain than is usual while we here in Chicago have gone two months without any substantial rain. I hope this isn't a bad omen.....:(

gemini9961
06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Another Floridian here....Tampa bay area of Florida. Boy oh boy this summer should be a wild one..hence my comment by my user name...lol. And today is my birthday....what a combo...my birthday and start of hurricane season...woohoo.

wolf_Q
06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I hope everyone stays safe and they aren't as bad this year.

dukedogsmom
06-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I know one thing. I can't take the stress of it again if it's like it was last year and we didn't even have any damage. I can only imagine how it was for others that did have damage. Anyone got any Xanex?

Ginger's Mom
06-02-2005, 05:54 AM
My father lives in Florida (Vero), and his house was hit by two of the hurricanes last year. He still hasn't had all of the repairs completed because the contractors are so backed up. He was told they probably wouldn't get there until October. He is very worried about the forecasts for this year. As KBlaix pointed out one of the worst parts is being without electricity for so long after the hurricanes (three weeks after the first hurricane and two and a half after the second hurricane).

Fox-Gal
06-02-2005, 11:09 AM
My father's girlfriend lives in Vero also and she lost everything. She is still homeless, living between my father's house and a friends. They say she "might" be able to move in her new re-built place sometime in Oct/Nov, so she gets to go through another hurricane season, with a half built home. If she does happen to get hit again, I don't think what's there will stand up to it, so she could be back to square one. :eek:

Us on the other hand, still have not finished the repairs on our home from the last one, so we are not sure our house can take another hit, also.

Worry is all I do now, when it comes to hurricane season and the weather the last few days has not helped. The last 3 mornings we have been woken up to BAD thunder storms, 3" of rain in a hour. Plus our power went out, also, no power, no water around here. :( . The good side, I guess, is we have been able to leave the windows open and still be cool, with all the rain, sense our air went down this week. :mad: :mad: I have to find some good some where. lol But the rain is just a reminder of whats yet to come. :(

Husband says if we get hit again, we are moving. Fingers crossed we don't get hit, I love living in Florida and don't ever what to move back up north, again.

Kfamr
06-10-2005, 09:10 PM
TS Arlene is giving us a crappy weekend. :( I've been in a cruddy mood all week because of this horrible weather.
They're syaing tornado watch is in effect and that Arlene could turn into our first hurricane. She's right next door to us too. :(

UGH. I hate Florida, I hate Florida, I hate Florida.
We're my sunshine? I'd much rather be in the sweltering hot heat than have trees crashing into my windows. Guess you can never win in this state.

http://petevents.com/~simba/Arlene.jpg

Thank gosh we haven't heard any thunder or lightning yet... Nala would be terrified sick. :(

Fox-Gal
06-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Guess you can never win in this state.

I know I know, couple weeks ago, we where hot and dry, now after a week and a half of rain everyday..........I live in a swamp!!

And now with hurricane season here and with this first storm already, I'm almost to the point that I don't want to watch the weather any more. The choices are going to be HOT HOT HOT, Rain Rain Rain or Wind Wind............ HURRICANE!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

gemini9961
06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry that some of my fellow Florida PT'ers got hit so hard last summer with hurricanes. We were lucky I guess. We had no damage to our house and no trees fell down. A few branches came down, in fact one large one is still up in the tree, we can't get it down, too high up and too big. Our yard was flooded and some people in our neighborhood took quite a beating. We were lucky and I hope this year is the same. When we closed on the house last year it was on Friday, August the 13th, the day Charley came through. What a day that was!! Thank god I had everything with the insurance policies all set up and in effect. Best wishes to everyone in FL and hope this summer is not as severe. Just to let everyone know, the Bay area is in a flood watch until tomorrow sometime. I work in a flood evacuation zone, yay for me.

Kfamr
06-10-2005, 11:38 PM
I live in the highest point in my county, so if we flood.. basically most of Florida is SOL!

Gosh I hate this. I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight. I can hear the winds picking up. They say my area is under wath until 8 in the morning.

dukedogsmom
06-10-2005, 11:39 PM
We're under watch until 3pm tomorrow. Sucks. But, it does make for good sleeping weather. I can't wait to get home and get some!

gemini9961
06-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm at work right now and we are right by TIA which is by the water. It's pretty windy out there now, well more gusty winds. Last summer we had to shut down work a couple of times because of the hurricanes and our flood zone status.

smokey the elder
06-11-2005, 07:31 AM
You poor guys down in Florida.:( I hope you get a bit of a break from the hurricanes this year.