PDA

View Full Version : Innova Evo

Christiansmommy
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Me again, with more food questions :)

I know some of you feed Innova Evo and I am considering it for Harlee...

First off, I don't feed her puppy food b/c large breed dogs are better off eating adult food, so they don't grow too fast and put stress on bones, etc. This is by recommendation of my breeder and I completely agree with him...anyway, that leads to my question...

Since Evo hardly has any carbs (is a no grain formula)...and is much higher in protein than regular kibble (Evo 42% regular kibble 24%)...should I either wait to put her on it, until she is like 1 year old...since puppies can probably use more carbs this young in life, or should i supplement with some added rice now and feed the Evo now...anyway...i am doing a part raw diet anyway, so this food looks great!

Thanks, i will also call the breeder to ask his thoughts...but I am sure he will agree that this food is great for people feeding the BARF diet as well.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
I've heard that EVO isn't good for large breed puppies, but I don't know why. Dog do not need carbs to survive -- in the wild, dogs get a very limited supply of carbs. The carbs come from the stomach matter in the small animals they eat (and only the small animals, so they really don't get many grains). The high protein amount in EVO is meant to replace the carbs -- so you don't need to worry about adding carbs. You'll just make Harlee fat. ;) :p It's been shown that high protein while eating carbs causes weight gain.

I feed my cat EVO whenever I forget to unthaw his raw. He loves it!

Christiansmommy
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
I just found out why it is not recommended for large breed puppies...not due to the high protein amount, but the high calcium amount...too much for large breed puppies growing bones...so anyway, i will feed it to her when she is an adult then...

thanks for the info!
Robyn