PDA

View Full Version : Anyone an EMT or a paramedic?

Tiah
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Hello,
Is anyone out there an EMT or paramedic (or know anyone close that is?) I want to be an EMT, but I have no clue where I would start out at? (Im a junior in Highschool right now). What did you do to start out to get your cert.? Did you have to go to college? What school did you go to?
Thanks for any help!

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
My stepmom is going to school to become a rehabilitator assistant or something? But it also gives her what she needs to become a paramedic. I'm not sure the exact steps. I know she upgraded, and she has been taking a college course for a couple of years now. She worked at the hospital at the same time and now she's working at a rehabilitation centre while going to school. She finishes school in the fall. But she could become a paramedic right now if she wanted to. Sorry I'm not much help!

Samantha Puppy
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
My brother-in-law is studying to be in EMS. He started through his local firehouse and is now in college for it. You will need to go to school for it since it involves various medical and technical things.

LorraineO
05-31-2005, 01:40 PM
I would call your local ambulance center,,, the NON emerg number of course!!:D and speak to them...

Tiah
05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
My brother-in-law is studying to be in EMS. He started through his local firehouse and is now in college for it. You will need to go to school for it since it involves various medical and technical things.
I know I would have to go to school for it. What I meant was, like, what kinds of school other people went to.
Does anyone know if it is difficult to find a job? My dad is giving me a hard time, saying that I would have a hard time as most EMTs (or paramedics) are also firefighters.

Grace
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
My husband was a Paramedic when I met him. He went to the local Community College for his education.

moosmom
05-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I started out as an EMT until I went to school to become a Paramedic. It's long hours, studying and clinicals. But it's worth it. If you're really serious about it, contact your local Community College or State EMS.

LKPike
05-31-2005, 08:28 PM
My uncle and his [ex]wife are both paramedics. My other aunt is a ER nurse, and her husband is a mechanic or something for the hospital. No advice on where to start, just do your research and good luck! :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-01-2005, 02:53 PM
I wish I was...or may be!:rolleyes: :D