PDA

View Full Version : We saved a cute little toad

ILoveReptiles
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
My boyfriend and I were out visiting a friend of his today, and his friend was startled by a little toad that hopped into his garden.

We know how many of them meet a horrid end via lawnmowers, so we decided to take this little critter home with us.

I picked out a name for him - it's "Hops"

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

ILoveReptiles
05-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Here's the album - only 2 pics so far. The glass is messy, so I couldn't get a good shot through it. I had to take shots from above.

http://community.webshots.com/album/357432260iLLbKt

luckies4me
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
It's a Natterjack toad!!! :D

ILoveReptiles
05-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Hmm. I think it's just a common toad (Bufo Bufo)

I read up on Natterjacks and they're only found in Europe. Plus they look almost identical to a common toad, with the exception that they are olive green and have a yellow stripe on their back.

Our toad doesn't..

luckies4me
05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ILoveReptiles
Hmm. I think it's just a common toad (Bufo Bufo)

I read up on Natterjacks and they're only found in Europe. Plus they look almost identical to a common toad, with the exception that they are olive green and have a yellow stripe on their back.

Our toad doesn't..

Their the same thing. :p

tikeyas_mom
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
cool. are you going to set it free somewhere?

sandragonfly
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM
you a neat toad, hops!!

how's he adjusting in his new home? since he lived in wild, maybe you can set him free ...away and aawaaay from the mowers! :)

ILoveReptiles
05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah I'm going to urge my BF to set him free this weekend in Wadsworth Park woods.

I don't think there will be many mowers there.

ashleycat
05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I once was at a place that there were hundreds of toads. When I was litte. Me and my sis caught them all and put them in plastic trash bag and released them by the creek. Havent been many around that place eversince.

ILoveReptiles
06-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Well we decided that if Hops didn't eat some live crickets we were going to let him go.

We went out and got some, and he's eating them with gusto. Looks like he's found a permanent home. He's all happy with the plant leaves my BF put in for him to hide under.. ;)