PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to mum

Heather Wallace
02-03-2002, 03:06 PM
My six baby rabbits where recently sexed. Mummy rabbit was living in the same hutch as two of her kids but Twinkle was a boy and has to be moved up to the middle hutch. He was such a mummies boy and was sad when he had to leave.
Here is a photo which just captured how Bunny mum ( the big one in the bottom hutch) and Twinkle (in middle hutch felt a bout each other!

Can you add a caption statement to this photo?

I would say ' I'ii miss you mum!!:(

AdoreMyDogs
02-03-2002, 03:14 PM
:( Poor little fella :( Poor little mumma's boy :(

Is there any way you would consider castrating Twinkle so he and mum could be together again?

zippy-kat
02-03-2002, 03:34 PM
"Hey whatcha doin' down there?!"

Yes, why not have him neutered? (Mom & the other girls too, if you don't want anymore babies?)

However, please remember that if he is castrated, you will need to keep them separated for another 4-6wks or so, because he will still be able to impregnate them if placed together soon after his operation.

Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

(And congrats to Mum Bunny for bein' POTD on 2/2/02!)

aly
02-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
However, please remember that if he is castrated, you will need to keep them separated for another 4-6wks or so, because he will still be able to impregnate them if placed together soon after his operation.

Wow!!! I didn't know this. That's very interesting.

Heather Wallace
02-04-2002, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your replies about this subject. Yes Twinkle the little boy rabbit will be getting neuteured in around two months time. This is to prevent anymore baby Bunnies from coming my way. So hopefully then he can play in the same rabbit run as his sister and Mum.

I love happy endings, don't you?:)

Edwina's Secretary
02-04-2002, 11:22 AM
One bun's ceiling is another bun's floor!

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
One bun's ceiling is another bun's floor!

Heh heh...while I KNOW the buns are nice...I can't resist:

An organization is like a stack of bunny hutches--bunnies on all different levels--some on the top, some on the bottom. THe buns on top look down and see smiling faces. THe buns on bottom look up and see nuthin' except butt-holes. :o

:p

purrley
02-04-2002, 01:48 PM
WOW Zippy is that true - I thought once they're gone - no more spermies - Twinkle will have forgotton about his Mum by then.

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 02:10 PM
I read that info somewhere...thinking on the HRS site...I'll go back and see if I can find it...

Another interesting tidbit---female guppies can retain the male's sperm (even after she's had the babies) for up to 6 wks. Don't remember where I read that at... Guppies are one of my all time fav. fish... SOOOO Friendly and purr-ty! (and easy to breed...can create your own color variations!) My 50 gal. tank use to be home to many, many guppies...unfortunately they caught something and despite the Rx...I lost them all! :(

I just bought 3 more...(2 males, 1 female) going to try it again...

Edwina's Secretary
02-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Human males remain (I've sat here trying to come up with a word to use on a family forum) able to impregnate for a period of time after a vasectomy and it is not recommended as sole method of birth control until test have confirmed "all clear" which depends on certain ...ahem... factors. I imagine it would be the same for any mammal.

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 02:44 PM
For the life of me, I can't find it now! Just searched HRS...will look a few other places and let you know...

lbaker
02-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Bunnybutts?:o :rolleyes: oh Zipster...you are too too much:D How could I ever introduce a bunny into this house with 6 dogs, two cats and two kittens :( but (butt:p) if I coulda I woulda. Except for the "bad bad bunny" stories about digging up the rugs etc. I would probably have tried by now...especially after seeing "Bunny" on POTD and beginning to "know" Miz Sophie and Hoppy and all.... oh only if I had more room :( but then I'ld probably end up with more human strays so maybe it's just as well...heavy sigh here..;)
laurie

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 05:17 PM
HI Miz Laurie, itz Sophie Bunny. I thinkz you'd makez a berry gud bunny-mom. And mom sez so 2. Ya know whutz? Mine and momz landlord haz gotz bunniez. He tried 2 give Mom anudder one but I sedz she kouldn't have it--derz notz enuf roomz inna bed for it. I mean, a queen-size bed only holdz so many! Mom sez der wuz plenty o' room but I putz my footz down *tHuMp* and still sedz NO! But if you want a bunny, I bet Mom kould getcha one. Well, I guess I'll getz offa here and give da keyboard back 2 Mom so she kin finish.

Bye, Miz Laurie!

Luh-uv,
Sophie Bunny

Edwina's Secretary
02-04-2002, 05:28 PM
If a row of bunnies takes a step backwards...is it a receding hare line?????

lbaker
02-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Oh Miz Sophie, ifin I showz up on the aireoplane from our PetReunion thing wif a bunny in my pocket would they think I'm some weird terrorist wiv a new impliment of destruction:o :confused: :p oh dear oh dear

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 05:32 PM
:D :D :D
I think you're the first to notice my signature's quotation! lol

NoahsMommy
02-04-2002, 06:33 PM
poor thing....that picture broke my heart!! I hope they can be reunited soon!!

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Oh Miz Sophie, ifin I showz up on the aireoplane from our PetReunion thing wif a bunny in my pocket would they think I'm some weird terrorist wiv a new impliment of destruction:o :confused: :p oh dear oh dear

LOL Ok, I completely overlooked this the first time around...you snuck it in on me! lol

RUNNN...It's a "cute furry little engine of death and destruction!"*

(*borrowed from the Devilbunnies website)

OK...Schnooker-head just pulled her bowl of oats OUT of her cage, UNDER the bed and then tossed the bowl! :rolleyes: Guess I'll get off of here and clean it up... LOL (what a brat! lol Have NO idea where she gets this orneriness from--not MY side of the family! lol ;) :D lol)

NoahsMommy
02-06-2002, 05:28 PM
hee hee, Sophie is a funny one!! :)

AmberLee
02-06-2002, 08:06 PM
...I think you're the first to notice my signature's quotation!...

:o :D :o Oh bother, Zippie, I've been meaning to say how cute I think your quote is for days and just keep forgetting or putting it off!

Well done, and I appreciate the grin your quote gives me whenever you post!

Thank you!!! :D :cool: :D

zippy-kat
02-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by AmberLee

:o :D :o Oh bother, Zippie, I've been meaning to say how cute I think your quote is for days and just keep forgetting or putting it off!

Well done, and I appreciate the grin your quote gives me whenever you post!

Thank you!!! :D :cool: :D

Thanks AmberLee! I sure have enjoyed your posts as well! Keep 'em coming!!

zippy-kat
02-09-2002, 01:50 PM

Another interesting tidbit---female guppies can retain the male's sperm (even after she's had the babies) for up to 6 wks. Don't remember where I read that at... Guppies are one of my all time fav. fish... SOOOO Friendly and purr-ty! (and easy to breed...can create your own color variations!) My 50 gal. tank use to be home to many, many guppies...unfortunately they caught something and despite the Rx...I lost them all! :(

I just bought 3 more...(2 males, 1 female) going to try it again...

taken from Aquariumfish.net (http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/livebearer_guppies/guppies.htm#top2)

Once a female Guppy is pregnant, she can release babies about once a month for up to six months without a male in the aquarium. So your Guppy females may continue to release babies, even if you don't have a male Guppy now.

Still working on finding the rabbit info that I posted earlier....