PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...long post

Glacier
05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
As you all know I lost my precious Dominique just a few days ago. I miss her terribly and am crushed by her loss and the way she died. I cannot stop crying.

This afternoon, I had to attend a function at our local shelter. I didn't really want to go, but my hubby works there and it was kinda required. It was a recognition thing for volunteers. I spent most of my time ignoring the official proceedings and hanging out in one of the cat rooms.

Our shelter is a sea of black and white adult cats. They are the hardest to adopt out around here. The color pattern is very common and everyone wants a different color or a kitten. I spent most of the afternoon holding black and white cats, crying into their fur.

My husband said that when I am ready we can bring home another cat. I have already decided that it will come from the shelter and be black and white. I can't replace Dommers. I could adopt every cat on the planet and never replace her. But there is a very empty spot in the house. This is an 8 cat family. 7 just feels wrong. I expected that Dominique would be here for another 10 years at least. No cat will fill the hole in my heart, but I know I could love another and they will find their own place in my heart, for their own reasons.

There was one cat who kept following me around. Everywhere I went, there was Boots. When I held a different cat, he sat by my feet and stared at me. When I went outside, he came into the outdoor cat run and meowed at the fence until I came and sat beside it. He's very affectionate and friendly. He's about three years old, was found as a stray. He likes other cats and has been neutered.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cats%2005/Boots4.jpg
This is his picture, stolen off the Humane Society website.
I have been thinking about him all day. He's been at the shelter for a few months. It's no kill so he's not in any immediate danger, but there has been no interest in him.

I can not go through this again. We do not know and will likely never know how Dominique got out. However, we are making some changes to try and ensure this never happens again. I thought we had covered all the bases before, but we are going to reinforce some things. We are adding more fencing around the cat run--the dogs can't get near it now anyway, but we are going to add a second fence. (this will be done tomorrow) We are going to add an arctic entry to the front door of the house. That way if a cat got out one door, they would only get into a small porch and be stopped by the second door. We already have one on the other entrance. All the screens have been reinforced and secured again (there were no open windows that night, but I'm paranoid now). Essentially, we are going to make a dog free zone immediately surrounding the house. So if a cat ever does escape again, they have a safety zone.

So after all that rambling, do you think I should bring Boots home?

jazzcat
05-29-2005, 06:51 PM
YES!!!

It sounds like Boots made a connection with you and I think you should go with your heart. What could possibly be a better tribute to Dominique than to save a homeless kitty's life.

(((HUGS)))

Cataholic
05-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Glacier,
Things happen. There isn't any reason, rhyme, nothing you could do(more than you already do). More importantly. What has happened can't be undone. While I know you need to grieve, don't let it become such a familar place you don't want to leave there.

If there is a place in your heart for Boots, then, bring him home. Who could ever resist a tuxie, anyhow?

jenluckenbach
05-29-2005, 07:25 PM
do you think I should bring Boots home?

YES

Craftlady
05-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I agree with the others, Boots needs to be a part of your family. He is choicing you to take care of him. :)

dukedogsmom
05-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Boots is telling you that he wants to be with you. Let him come home and help heal you. There will always be an empty spot from Dominique but Boots will help you with your pain. I'm sure he'll bring you lots of joy. He must know something since he was being your velcro kitty.

catnapper
05-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you've been chosen. Listen to what your heart is telling you, its never wrong.

rg_girlca
05-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Glacier, I know this might sound crazy, but I believe that Dominique was guiding Boots to you. He knows that he can never, ever be replaced and how much you love and miss him. But he also knows that you need Boots and Boots needs you.

LoudLou
05-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Glacier, I know this might sound crazy, but I believe that Dominique was guiding Boots to you. He knows that he can never, ever be replaced and how much you love and miss him. But he also knows that you need Boots and Boots needs you.

I was thinking the same thing and could not have said it better!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I agree with Lorraine. There is a reason Boots followed you around like that. I think Dominique was telling him you needed him. You are in no way to blame for Dominique's death. I say bring Boots home. He needs you and it sounds like you need him right now. Like you say, he will not replace Dominique, he will just help you to heal. :)

kittycats_delight
05-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes GO GET BOOTS do it NOW

Boots was telling you today he needs you and wants you to be his furrever meowmie. I say go get Boots and put the kitty number back to right in your house.

finn's mom
05-29-2005, 10:10 PM
I think he's beautiful, and, it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. Sounds like YOU'VE been chosen. :)

kuhio98
05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
YES, go get Boots
What a wonderful tribute to Dominique to give another baby a chance for a happy life. I love Boot's white whiskers and chin! :D

Kfamr
05-29-2005, 10:30 PM
I think you already know everyone's answer and know in your heart that you want to. You'll be giving this boy one of the greatest homes he could get and at the same time filling a part of the void in your heart.

Go for it if you're ready.

jenluckenbach
05-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
YES
I guess I should elaborate a little ;) :D

First of all, that cat is the spitting image of Biddy White Whiskers and if you don't take him I am going to come get im mysefl!

Second, cats will ALWAYS pick their families. You have been chosen and you cannot fight that.

Third, even though I know you are devestated about Dominique (I know that I would be kicking myself for YEARS!) you cannot live you life in fear. Bad things happen sometimes, just think about Cataholic's niece Samantha. You cannot control everything in this world, but you have love to freely give and it should not be kept inside.

sasvermont
05-30-2005, 07:27 AM
I agree, this kitty was meant to be at your home. Go for it.
Dominique would approve, I am sure.

;)

orangemm
05-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Looks like Boots has made the decision for you; he wants you and he won't take 'no' for an answer. If he's that persistent, there has to be a reason.

He looks like a wonderful young man!

smokey the elder
05-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I think Boots picked you with a noodge from Dominique. Cats do adopt humans, after all, not the other way around.

Queen of Poop
05-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Fate has intervened and brought you an angel. GET HIM NOW. :)

catmandu
05-30-2005, 08:38 AM
I THINK,THAT DOMINIQUE,WOULD BE MMMEEEEOOOWWWING,FOR YOU,TO TAKE BOOTS,HOME,AS HE DOES NOT LIKE BEING,IN THAT SHELTER,HE WANTS A FUR EVER HOME,OF HIS VERY OWN,TOO.AND THAT WOULD BE A NICE TRIBUTE,TO DOMINIQUE,TO SAVE ANOTHER CAT,IN HER HONOR.I GOT MOOSE,THE MAGNIFICENT,IN MR SCRAPPYSHONOR,AND I THINK,OF MY DEAR OLD FRIEND,EVER TIME I SEE THE MOOSE.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture332.jpg

KEEP YOUR DISTANCE,SISTER.

momcat
05-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi, Glacier! Definitely adopt Boots! It sounds like he has already chosen you the way he was following you around and wanting your attention. Sounds like a sweetie. I believe that our pets choose us and it appears that Boots has chosen you. A few months is a long time for a kitty to be in a shelter. You're right, no kitty will ever replace Dominique because each kitty has their own personality. And you already know he gets along well with other cats. This one is a sure thing. Hope to see some pictures and hear that Boots has found a loving home.....

moosmom
05-30-2005, 08:48 AM
There was one cat who kept following me around. Everywhere I went, there was Boots. When I held a different cat, he sat by my feet and stared at me. When I went outside, he came into the outdoor cat run and meowed at the fence until I came and sat beside it. He's very affectionate and friendly. He's about three years old, was found as a stray. He likes other cats and has been neutered.

I think Dominique had a little something to do with it. She's there with you in spirit and wants you to be happy.

What do YOU think?? Go get your cat, will ya?? Welcome Home Bootsie! ;)

Barbara
05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
This may not be the best place to look for an answer for your question;)

I agree with you: Dominique's place in your heart will not be taken by any other cat. But a new cat will find a new spot in your heart.

Second: Cats know how to pick people. I have experienced that myself- and many people here have. So this Boots knows what he was doing.

Third: I would react like you and provide more safety for my cats- knowing that there is no absolute safety and control.

And yes: adopt him:) :) :)

QueenScoopalot
05-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Looking forward to pictures of your new boy to be. ;) Dominique will never be replaced, but I'm glad to know you still have an open heart, and are willing to adopt an adult kitty. Many people can't think of adopting another kitty ever, after experiencing loss, but with so many homeless kitties out there I'm so happy to hear you've been chosen by Boots. :) Shall I say concatulations? :confused: ;)

RedHedd
05-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Glacier, I know this might sound crazy, but I believe that Dominique was guiding Boots to you. He knows that he can never, ever be replaced and how much you love and miss him. But he also knows that you need Boots and Boots needs you. While reading your post I got a VERY STRONG feeling that Dominique had a paw in this. You have been chosen by a cat, there is no higher honor in life.

furrykidsmother
05-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I agree you should go get him. He isn't meant to take the place of your beloved Dominique, but perhaps she sent him to you to help you get through this difficult time. Go for it!

orangemm
05-30-2005, 02:32 PM
.....so when are you going to go get Boots?

Glacier
05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I expected that most of you would say go get him! I suppose I posted to see if anyone would say "no, you irresponsible idiot, you should never get another cat."--I've had that thought repeatedly. Guilt is a nasty, sneaky emotion.

Boots will likely be arriving tomorrow or Friday. I am off work tomorrow--the last day of my worst holiday ever! I will post pics when he arrives.

Thank you again for the replies here and for the support over the past few days. It has been a blessing.

jenluckenbach
05-30-2005, 05:13 PM
WOO HOO!!! I just knew you couldn't resist that little dear! Thank you for giving him a much deserved home.

rg_girlca
05-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Glacier, I know how much guilt can lay heavy on a person.

But please take comfort in knowing that Dominique does not blame you for what happened. It was an unforseen accident that could happen to any of us here.

You are far from an irresponsible pet owner. I know it doesn't matter how many times we tell you NOT to blame yourself, you will.

I hope and pray that adopting Boots will gradually help heal the pain and lessen the guilt for you.

I can't wait to see pictures of this adorable boy in his new forever home.

k9krazee
05-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Yay!!! Boots gets to go home!!

catnapper
05-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Yippie! I am so pleased to hear that Boots will be joining the crew. He has some serious shoes (should we say boots?) to fill

krazyaboutkatz
05-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I also voted yes that you should adopt Boots and now I'm glad to hear that you're going to be adopting him.:D When a cat picks you, you're going to have a very strong bond with them.;)

captain
05-31-2005, 01:42 AM
I am so happy you decided to give Boots a home.

Dominque will be looking down and purring.

{{hugs}}

kimlovescats
05-31-2005, 02:00 AM
YIPEE!!! I have a black and white tuxedo named Boots as well! HURRAY for your Boots and his soon-to-be new home! NO WAY I would try and lay a guilt trip on you ... accidents happen! I am sure you will take whatever precautions necessary to keep that same thng from happening again ... that is how we all learn!;)

Congrats, and I can't wait to see new pics in your home!

Oh, btw, I was surprised to hear that B&W's were hard to adopt out. I have two cutie pies here (part of the foster babies) and I love them to death. They are posted on our website .... gosh, I hope they get good homes, or else my boots will have two twin brothers!:rolleyes: ;)

Queen of Poop
05-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Pretty sure Dominique is sitting across the bridge with a smug look on her face right now. While she may be gone, she will never be forgotten. Good girl Dominique for sending mommy a kitty to ease her pain. Ya hoo Boots, you couldn't be going to a better home!! :)

momcat
05-31-2005, 08:50 AM
HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY... HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!! I'm so happy to hear that you decided to adopt Boots!!! What a lucky little guy, going to a wonderful home where he'll know nothing but love now and furever. Please don't doubt yourself, you ARE a responsible and capable pet owner. Actually, I kind of suspected that you were already hooked on him. Enjoy the special love that only a kitty can give. Can't wait to see some pictures.....

Glacier
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Oh, btw, I was surprised to hear that B&W's were hard to adopt out. I have two cutie pies here (part of the foster babies) and I love them to death. They are posted on our website .... gosh, I hope they get good homes, or else my boots will have two twin brothers!:rolleyes: ;)

Only the adult b&w are hard and that's just because there are so many of them in our shelter. Kittens of any shade get adopted in a hurry. We went to a shelter down south once who told us they have trouble with tabbies. Tabbies fly out of our shelter! I think we have a very prolific black & white tom running around Whitehorse!

I hope your two find the purrfect forever home!

kittycats_delight
05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
whoohooo.....Boots get to go to his furrever home. I am soo glad you decided to give Boots a home but seeing Boots choose you how could you not? You did good Dominique Angel sending Boots to your meowmie. You know exactly what she needs don't you. Good Job Little One.

Can't wait to see pics. :D

ramanth
05-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Glacier, you better not wait till Friday! Go get that bad boy today!

*HUGS*

I concur... I feel Dominique was leading Boots to you.