PDA

View Full Version : eating dirt?

tikeyas_mom
05-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Tikeya has always eatin dirt... Whats up with that?
I know dogs will eat grass to help with digestion..
but why dirt??
its really odd....

Does anyone eles have a dog or know a dog that does this ???

:o

sammy101
05-28-2005, 10:10 PM
i dont think mine eat dirt.I've never heard of a dog eating it.that is really odd.Mabye she's bored?I dont know.

tikeyas_mom
05-28-2005, 10:16 PM
she will lay in a cool spot on the ground.
then she will take her front paws and start to gently dig.
Then she licks the spot she was digging in...
then to continues to nibble the ground... i always look and see if there is a worm there or somthing.. there is never anything there.. just ... Dirt??
:confused:

Vette
05-29-2005, 04:21 AM
Ive heard of horses and cows eating dirt becasue they are craving salt or iron or something along that line. and you have to buy them salt blocks to get them to quit eating it.

never heard of dogs doing it though.

Bigyummydog
05-29-2005, 02:48 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: I'd ask the vet

DogLover9501
05-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Jasper eats dirt sometimes, not like Tikeya though LOL

Sometimes when he drinks out of mud puddles(yuck!), he'll start licking the mud/dirt, I just always call him away.

I would probably ask the vet too, just incase there could be a reason other than she just likes dirt :p

jackie
05-29-2005, 04:29 PM
My dogs have done that a few times. Just a strange dog thing sometimes, as long as she isn't eatting lots and lots, I don't think there is reasone to worry.

bckrazy
05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
When we were putting in grass, Gonzo ran around trying to gobble up fertilizer! Eeew! Is she eating fertilizer? It might smell appealing to her ;)

tikeyas_mom
05-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by bckrazy
When we were putting in grass, Gonzo ran around trying to gobble up fertilizer! Eeew! Is she eating fertilizer? It might smell appealing to her ;)

haha that is too funny..

Bigyummydog, I dont think I need to spend 60$ on a vet trip for this lol.

It is really funny because once in a while she will come into the house and whine at me for attention.. I will look down at her, and I know she has been eating dirt, because she has dirt all over her snout lol.... silly dog.