PDA

View Full Version : Well meaning neighbor has me so confused!

catcrazylady
05-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Just to catch everyone up...My neighbor moved last year. She had been helping me feed the ferals. Some stayed at her house and some stayed here. As much as ferals stay anywhere! Anyway, mine all came in the house and she told me that she had all of hers fixed but they were still outside. When she moved last year she came to me and told me that she was taking them with her when she moved. NOT!!! She left me with most all of them. I at least thought they were fixed. NOT!!! As you know Rosco and Abigail are proof of that. So I have been working with the shelter about getting them in and getting them fixed. Unfortunately several more have shown up and had kittens somewhere.
I knew I had Rosco and Abigails momma and sister to get fixed but I thought the Stubby look alike was fixed. NOT! Then another orange girl showed up with lots of milk so there are babies somewhere.
I had everything worked out that when I found the kittens I would take them to the shelter and get the momma's fixed once the kittens were weaned. I would TNR the momma's. Today the director tells me that someone on my street has been bringing in loads of kittens!!! She said he is a nice man and is only trying to help but now I don't know who's kittens he's taken in! I can't haul the momma's off if they are still nursing babies and that is what I have been waiting for. Now I don't know who still has kittens and who's babies he's taken! He is not getting a full litter at a time and I don't know who is where!
She gave me his phone number and I'm going to call him later this evening and see if he possibly knows who the momma's are and if he has taken all the babies from them. I'm scared to death that I'm going to take in a nursing mother and her kittens will go without food. I have yet to see a kitten anywhere even though I expected it at anytime.
I'm grateful that there is someone else willing to help but now I'm in a bigger mess! I don't know what to do and they will be going into heat again soon.
Any suggestions?

QueenScoopalot
05-28-2005, 05:29 PM
If you NR the mom cats, and release them as soon as the anesthesia wears off (ear tip them, and request absorbable sutures) chances are the kittens will do fine without her for a few hours. I would't leave the spays overnight though. ;) I've been forced to do that a few times when cats I've trapped have milk ducts overflowing by AM! :eek: Trapped at night, spaying first thing in the AM, and let loose at no later than 2 PM, and they've been fine, and the kittens have been without them for less than 24 hours. ;) Hope you can find out how old the kittens are that the neighbor is taking into the shelter, and hope he can clue you in as to who's kittens he took. :rolleyes: Another alternative is to take the kittens brought in to the shelter and use them as bait for mama cat. If you put them into a small carrier, and cover it completely then place behind the trap with covering on part way over the trap back, 99% of the time the mom cat will respond to her kittens cries. ;) Cover the trap totally after so not to alert the other cats, and never leave the trap un-attended. ;)

catnapper
05-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Wow. Did the lady say how young those kittens were? Old enough to be weaned, I hope. I'd definately give the man a call and say that you both have somethign in common: helping the feral population on your street. Go from there.

Guess I'm not much of a help am I?

Hello Kitty
05-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I am sorry to here that. :( I hope all works out !!!!

catmandu
05-28-2005, 08:52 PM
THE GOOD THING,IS TAHT YOU BOTH WANT,TO HELP,THOSE HOMELESS CATS,AND IF YOU COMPARE NOTES,AND TEAM UP,THEN YOU COULD TOGETHER,BREAK,THAT CYCLE,OF UNWANTED KITTENS,AND GET THEM ALL ,FURR EVER HOMES.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/JJJ3.jpg

furrykidsmother
05-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I do want to wish you well and hope that you and the neighbor can work together to take care of the momma cats and the babies! Let us know how things work out.

Laura's Babies
05-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I think it is great that you now know you have a different partner to help you out with the strays and ferals. I certianlly would give him a call and you two need to get together and decide who does what and how to handle the mama's and kittens. Maybe all he wants to do is help and is working without knowing what he is doing. I would call him as soon as I could and get your heads together and make a plan.. I am of no help with the situation with the mama's and babies he has taken but I would be excited that he is trying to help!!! (He may think he is working alone too!)

momcat
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi! It's reassuring to know that your other neighbor is concerned about the babies. He's trying to do the right thing. It might not be a bad idea to meet with him and share your knowledge about ferals and strays, especially newborns. He may not be aware of the importance of keeping mommy and babies together until the babies are properly weaned. It would be helpful for both of you to come up with a mutual plan of action about how you both can join forces to save and care for all the poor kitties. Good luck and my very best wishes to both of you! For the cats and kittens.....

iloverat
05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi, Lisa.

I hope you and your neighbor are able to come up with a plan where you can work together. That would be wonderful for you if he is cooperative. Loved seeing your nawtee boys, Roscoe and the Gooster in the other thread. What a handful of crazy fun!!!! Hope all went well with Magoo at the vet. Take care - Bobbi

momcat
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi! How are things going with your rescues? Have you been able to work out a plan with your neighbor? Please let us know how things are going?