PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Rome

whalelover
05-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi,
For school we did inquiry projects on Ancient Rome. I had to research Ancient Roman architecture, then find an "essential question" on it. Well, my essential question was:

What would Rome look like if concrete was never revolutionized? Would Rome be different?

Well, for my essay, I am going to write what they used before concrete, and list a bunch of reasons why they would have used that if concrete wasn't there and so on. But the thing is, I can't find any information on what the Ancient Romans used before the concrete revolution! I was just wondering if you could help me find some information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

kittycats_delight
05-27-2005, 07:14 PM
My husband is from Italy and is very much up on his roman history. I will ask him when he gets home from work and see if he knows. I will then let you know.

Oggyflute
05-27-2005, 10:08 PM
An interesting question. Romans had this ability to take ideas from other cultures and vastly improve on them. They basically used the best building techniques from the meditteranian. You would probably have to research the start of Roman culure. If memory serves there were other cultures on the peninsula that were in advance of Rome, but ultimately failed when Rome rose to prominence. Cultural identity has a direct influence on architecture, so thats where I would start.

kittycats_delight
05-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Hubby just pmed you some info if there is specifics you need let us know and we will try to help. He is quite happy to help as it is his culture and he is quite passionate about it.

whalelover
05-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info!
Okay, I have now written my essay. I took all the information I have gotten, and sort of combigned it into my own essay.
I'll be posting it tomorrow!