PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Canon Powershot A95?

DogLover9501
05-27-2005, 05:55 PM
I bought a new camera today :D

A Canon Powershot A95. Obviously I have tons to learn about it yet, but was wondering if anyone owns one/has had experience with one? I would love to have someone to ask a few questions to.

luvofallhorses
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I think Kfamr does? Congrats on your new camera! :) I look forward to seeing LOTS of pics of your crew :)

binka_nugget
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
I think Kfamr does?

I think Kay has the A80.. but the A series are all very similar.

Jordan (wolfsoul) has the A95. Congrats on the new cam!

NoahsMommy
05-27-2005, 06:02 PM
That's the one I bought last month and LOVE it to pieces!! Its so great and you'll learn all the fun stuff in no time!

Enjoy!! :)

DogLover9501
05-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks all!

I guess it's difficult because there are so many things on it!

The only two things I don't like so far is how bright all the pictures are, I've been putting it at -2? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Also how long it takes to take a picture after you press the button, which is what I hate about my old one and wanted something different. ;)

dukedogsmom
05-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Congrats! That's the one I want soon. Just don't know when I can get it. My birthday is in July so maybe I'll just make an excuse and get it then.

wolfsoul
05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I have one!

Originally posted by DogLover9501

Also how long it takes to take a picture after you press the button, which is what I hate about my old one and wanted something different. ;)
If you press the button down half-way, the camera will focus. Then press it down all the way and it will take the picture right away for you. That's the best way to do it when taking an action shot! The only thing I really hate about the camera is that the flash is really bright.

Jods
05-27-2005, 06:38 PM
I have the same camera. Its shutter speed is really fast like wolfsoul said half way down is the focus. Theres so many things on this camera I still haven't figured it all out.

Question to all who has it whats your fav feature? Maybe this way I can learn some cool things about it LOL.

DogLover9501
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks!

Jordan-Is the bright flash the reason pictures come out really bright? Most of the ones I've taken are way too bright to even see, I may be using a wrong mode or something :o

Originally posted by Jods
Question to all who has it whats your fav feature? Maybe this way I can learn some cool things about it LOL.

I'd like to know too!

wolfsoul
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Jordan-Is the bright flash the reason pictures come out really bright? Most of the ones I've taken are way too bright to even see, I may be using a wrong mode or something :o

Yeah, but I can't figure out how to tone down the brightness. That's why I find that camera is best used in bright light or outdoors.

slleipnir
05-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, pretty sure Kay has an A80. I want either that cam or the A95 which I will be buying when the price is down some :D:D

Cinder & Smoke
05-27-2005, 10:59 PM

I don't like how bright all the pictures are,
I've been putting it at -2?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

:confused:

Have you tried just letting The CAMERA set the exposure??

Try Full AUTO mode, and leave the Exposure at "0" ...
I've had an A70 model for quite a while - and have never
manually adjusted the Exposure!

And here's the Best Part about Canon Cameras >>>

* For toll-free technical support, please call 1 (800) 828-4040 during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. EST, Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., excluding holidays).

* Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752

* Technical Support for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

They Folks on the Tech Support lines are *GOOD* - and will stay with
you till your problem is solved!

Or you can look at the Canon Cousumer (Cameras) Web Site >>>

http://consumer.usa.canon.com (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ConsumerHomePageAct)

/s/ Phred

RobiLee
05-28-2005, 06:28 AM
I am constantly shopping around for a new camera and this one is one of my first choices. Of course by the time I actually buy a camera I'm sure it will be outdated...lol.

I wish you lots of luck with it and can't wait to see how your pics come out.

Cookiebaker
05-28-2005, 09:37 AM
My coworker just got the A95 and she loves it!! It's great because she's been taking pictures of her cats and dog, and I get to see new pictures almost everyday! ;)

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks all :)

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

Have you tried just letting The CAMERA set the exposure??

Try Full AUTO mode, and leave the Exposure at "0" ...
I've had an A70 model for quite a while - and have never
manually adjusted the Exposure!

And here's the Best Part about Canon Cameras >>>

* For toll-free technical support, please call 1 (800) 828-4040 during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. EST, Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., excluding holidays).

* Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752

* Technical Support for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

They Folks on the Tech Support lines are *GOOD* - and will stay with
you till your problem is solved!

Or you can look at the Canon Cousumer (Cameras) Web Site >>>

http://consumer.usa.canon.com (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ConsumerHomePageAct)

/s/ Phred

Thanks Phred! Yes on Auto Mode the exposure stays on 0, but it's still very bright, Tigger looked yellow! So I keep moving it down to -2, which is less bright.

I've been playing with it and I got some nice pictures, I'll probably post a couple soon :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Yes on Auto Mode the exposure stays on 0,
but it's still very bright,
Tigger looked yellow!

So I keep moving it down to -2, which is less bright.

You shouldn't have to be doing that manually!

Unless you're shooting in some extreme lighting situation,
the CAMERA is "supposed" to be able to calculate a good exposure.

I'd call the Tech Support Gang and have a chat with them!

/s/ Phred

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 11:05 AM

You shouldn't have to be doing that manually!

Unless you're shooting in some extreme lighting situation,
the CAMERA is "supposed" to be able to calculate a good exposure.

I'd call the Tech Support Gang and have a chat with them!

/s/ Phred

I thought it was strange that I had to keep changing it! I'll definatly call them.

Thanks again!

binka_nugget
05-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Are you absolutely positive it's in auto mode? Both of my Canons (A75 & A60) don't even have the option of changing the exposure in that mode.

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I e-mailed tech support, and I got this:

"Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are sorry to hear about the brightness issues you have run into with your A95.

If this issue occurs while in the automatic mode on a regular basis, the camera will require inspection at our service center."

And then information about sending it.

However, my mom thinks it's a better idea to exchange it, since they give you 30 days, just incase it takes a while to fix/get sent back, or incase I have more trouble with it.

What do you think?

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Are you absolutely positive it's in auto mode? Both of my Canons (A75 & A60) don't even have the option of changing the exposure in that mode.

Yeah I think that's one of the different things about it? Alot of things are manual.

Some of the pictures I took with lower exposure looked okay on the play-back, but were dark on the computer. So I thought if they look too bright on the play-back, they might be normal on the computer, but they weren't.

*Edit* Just checked, can't change the exposure on auto mode, but it's way too bright.

Iilo
05-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I bought the A95 with my birthday money... and golly was it a hit in the pocket, but it was well worth it.
With finals coming up soon, I haven't been able to take many pictures, but I've found the INDOOR mode to really help reduce brightness when taking pictures inside. Of course, I try to stick to outdoor photos because they're usually just prettier.
The indoor mode is under SCN and then just use the arrows to get to indoor.

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Iilo
I bought the A95 with my birthday money... and golly was it a hit in the pocket, but it was well worth it.
With finals coming up soon, I haven't been able to take many pictures, but I've found the INDOOR mode to really help reduce brightness when taking pictures inside. Of course, I try to stick to outdoor photos because they're usually just prettier.
The indoor mode is under SCN and then just use the arrows to get to indoor.

Thanks! I just played with that a little, still had to lower the exposure though, it looked best at about -1.

Cinder & Smoke
05-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Alot of things are manual.

Some of the pictures I took with lower exposure looked okay
on the play-back, but were dark on the computer.

So I thought if they look too bright on the play-back,
they might be normal on the computer, but they weren't.

1) the camera has settings for EVERYTHING being "automatic" -
the only thing You have to do is pushe the button!

You ARE "holding" the button at "half-push" LONG enough for the
camera to signal it's ready to take the photo, aren't you!?

2) You wrote conflicting statements about look good / not good
on the computer monitor...
I would judge the quality of a photo on its appearance on the
computer monitor, NOT the LCD camera screen!

*Edit* Just checked, can't change the exposure on auto mode, but it's way too bright.

Have you actually sat down and READ the full Instruction Manual??

I think you "can" change the exposure +/- 2 in "Auto" - but if you don't
"do" anything, "Auto" SHOULD take a good picture.

As for your e-mail and their answer -
WHY bother with an e-mail when you can TALK to a Tech for free??

I suspect you've changed an important setting,
that the camera has "remembered" ....
and the fix will be to return the camera to it's Factory Default settings.

CALL a Tech and let him explain how to take a basic picture
AND talk you through checking the settings that matter.

/s/ Phred

tikeyas_mom
05-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I will be getting the A90 when the price is lowered, maybe around christmas.. But if i were you i wuold just exchange it.. it can take up to three weeks to get the camera back from the company that manufactures them.. pluse shipping fees you have to pay...

DogLover9501
05-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Phred-Yes I read everything before trying it out, and it was very bright before I changed anything. Also I do hold the button down half-way first, it doesn't really make a difference.

*Edit*

2) You wrote conflicting statements about look good / not good
on the computer monitor...
I would judge the quality of a photo on its appearance on the
computer monitor, NOT the LCD camera screen!

Yeah that's why I left it alone at first, as I thought they just looked bright on the LCD screen, but they were the same on the computer.

wolfsoul
05-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the camera -- everyone I know who has the A95 complains that it's much too bright, atleast when trying to take pictures of white things. I'd be fine with the camera if I didn't have two white pets!

DogLover9501
05-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Ack-I brang it back today and got my money back :(

Alot of the older Canon models have all the same things I'm looking for, and are much cheaper, so I'm just going to look around for a bit more.

I do hate going back to the old one for now though :p