PDA

View Full Version : The Aviator?

Jadapit
05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Has anyone seen that movie? If so, what did you think of it? I haven't seen it yet. It looks like it would be a pretty good movie.

luvofallhorses
05-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I haven't seen it yet, I don't think it would interest me ;) Is it anime? Plus I am not all for movies. :o

PJ's Mom
05-27-2005, 01:26 PM
We rented it last night but haven't watched it yet. It's supposed to be pretty good. :)

Jadapit
05-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
We rented it last night but haven't watched it yet. It's supposed to be pretty good. :)

Let me know what you think about it after you watch it. Do you guys watch a lot of movies at your house?

cookieluver7
05-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Never heard of it to be completely honest with you!:o

finn's mom
05-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Everyone I know that has seen it has said great things. It looks amazing, and, has some incredible actors in it. Leonardo Dicaprio apparently does a spot on job with the portrayal (sorry can't remember the actual man's name!). But, my father saw it and thought it was fantastic. The only thing I've heard that could be taken as a negative is that it's really long, something like over three hours. It's why I didn't go to the theater to see it, but, I plan to watch it soon. :) It did get a few Oscars, and, was one of the nominees for Best Picture.

gkristian
05-27-2005, 06:06 PM
i haven't seen it yet, but i can't wait for it to come out on DVD

kuhio98
05-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I went and saw it at the movie theater. I didn't like it.
But, it won all kinds of awards, so what do I know? :D

slleipnir
05-27-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Leo...

PJ's Mom
05-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Let me know what you think about it after you watch it. Do you guys watch a lot of movies at your house?

Hubby watches tons of movies. Me, not so much. I'm usually here while he's watching something. ;) I rented White Noise and will hopefully watch that tomorrow night. I hope it's scary. :p

RobiLee
05-28-2005, 06:17 AM
I haven't seen it yet but I know that my parents thought it was pretty good.

sirrahbed
05-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Hubby and I saw Aviator and loved it!! It is the story of Howard Hughes - supposedly the world's wealthiest man at that time. It showed his mental illness very well and the actresses who portrayed the famous starlets were very good I thought - especially Katherine Hepburn's part. I was not aware that Howard Hughes knew so much about aviation and truly is a part of history. I had only thought of him as a germophobic hermit:p

kuhio98
05-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Hubby and I saw Aviator and loved it!! It is the story of Howard Hughes - supposedly the world's wealthiest man at that time. It showed his mental illness very well and the actresses who portrayed the famous starlets were very good I thought - especially Katherine Hepburn's part. I was not aware that Howard Hughes knew so much about aviation and truly is a part of history. I had only thought of him as a germophobic hermit:p

Deb ~ Isn't it funny how different people are? I didn't like the movie because I did know about his contributions to aviation and that's what I wanted to know more about, not his mental illness. It made me very uncomfortable because of living with a family member who has these "tendencies". Thank goodness, he doesn't have them near to that extent.

Maybe one of the messages of the film was that genius and mental illness aren't that far apart. A genius can get fixated on an idea and will stop at nothing until the problem is solved. Taken too far, the fixation could be considered a mental illness.

I did like Kate Blanchet's portrayal of Katherine Hepburn. I had read that they have lived together in the 30's or 40's and had kept it pretty quiet. I didn't know that he had been involved with Ava Gardner.

I learned a lot, but not near enough about his aviation exploits and because of my own "issues", the mental illness part of the story gave me the heebie-geebies (I'm sure that's a medical term! :rolleyes: ).

So, this PTers vote is 2 thumbs DOWN.

Jadapit, have you seen the movie yet?

Jadapit
05-28-2005, 01:32 PM
No, I haven't seen it yet. We belong to Netflix. I need to add some movies to my queue. I think I will add that one. It's hard to find good movies these days. It seems like so many of them suck anymore. Maybe it's just me:confused: Do you have any suggestions for some good movies?:)

finn's mom
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
No, I haven't seen it yet. We belong to Netflix. I need to add some movies to my queue. I think I will add that one. It's hard to find good movies these days. It seems like so many of them suck anymore. Maybe it's just me:confused: Do you have any suggestions for some good movies?:)

What kind of movies do you consider good? People's ideas can vary tremendously, ya know. ;) I love movies, and, am constantly searching for good ones. Do you like pretty movies, thought provoking movies, violent movies, historic movies, what kind? If you like films like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, you should check out The Boondock Saints. It's really cool. The new film, Crash, is pretty good, but, disturbing. I thought Ray was excellent, and, Finding Neverland was wonderful. Sideways and Million Dollar Baby. Million Dollar Baby was outstanding, and, I can't wait to see Cinderella Man and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

Jadapit
05-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I like all types of movies. I really like horror movies. They sure dont make those like they used to.;) I loved Pulp Fiction. I will have to get Boondock Saints. I havent seen Finding Neverland yet either. I want to see Million Dollar Baby! I cant wait to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I love Johnny Depp. Have you seen Whats Eating Gilbert Grape? That is such a good movie!

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm going to add those to my queue.

finn's mom
05-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I love Johnny Depp. Have you seen Whats Eating Gilbert Grape? That is such a good movie!

I love Johnny Depp, too. What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a fantastic movie, with the Aviator star, too! :) Chocolat is a good film, too, with Johnny Depp. It's a simple, sweet movie. I'm really wanting to see the Aviator, even though I'm glad it didn't win Best Picture.

Anita Cholaine
05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
what's eating Gilbert grape is such a fantastic movie!! I wached it lots of times, and I never get tired of it! I don't like Leo very much, but in that movie he's great. I love Jonny Depp, he should win an Oscar some day
I watched The Aviator, it's a good movie, great Leo performance, but it's not the best that I ever seen. Million Dollar Baby is much better, it really deserved the Oscar!

equinelover23
05-30-2005, 03:23 PM
We got Aviator from Netflix and I watched it last night, but left halfway through. I really didn't like it... it was soo long and I don't really think there was much of a plot... but hey, it seems like everyone else likes it! :p

PJ's Mom
05-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Oh good grief, I think The Aviator was the longest movie ever made. lol I've never been quite that bored before.

To be fair I will say that the character portrayals were done quite well. :) The movie however, was not for me. *yawn*

As far as White Noise goes, it was so slow that I got up and left an hour into it. The kids are still watching, but I couldn't get into it. Michael Keaton makes a good Batman, but doesn't really know how to show emotion that well. ;) Everytime he cried (at least during the first hour) they showed his back. I guess he's not a good crier. :D