PDA

View Full Version : I'm just flabbergasted !

AlleyCat
05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am! After very strange behavior today from our 1-year old Abby and a vet visit as a result, I was told that Abby is in heat! We adopted Abby at 6.5 months old from our local shelter and was deemed spayed already. So this was the last thing I was expecting to hear. Our vet did a little thingy with a q-tip and we'll see if that has any effect on Abby, and if not, then we'll have her back in soon for a spay. I'm gonna be on the phone tomorrow with that shelter to see if they'll cough up some dough for this spay since her "spay" was part of her $125 adoption fee. Any of my furkids going under the knife and anethesia always makes me very nervous, and I was glad this was "done" for Abby already before she came to us .. So much for that. Poor baby, I just love her!

kimlovescats
05-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Oops!:eek: Yep, I'd be making a phone call too!:rolleyes:
Good luck! Just glad she didn't get pregnant ..... wow!

catmandu
05-26-2005, 07:19 PM
THANK GOD,YOU ARE NOT GOING,TO GO THROUGH,WITH HAVING A PREGNANT CAT.AND HAVING,TO DEAL,WITH KITTENS,TO GOOD HOMES.IT MIGHT,BE A FALSE HEAT,AS SOMETIMES,FEMALE CATS,CAN GO THROUGH THIS.I REMEMBER POUNCER,MY ANGEL,CARRYING SOCKS AROUND,AND I KNOW,THAT SHE WAS SPAYED.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos641.jpg

ROOTING TOOTING ,RAGANAR

sirrahbed
05-26-2005, 07:51 PM
oh MY!:eek: Someone at the shelter messed up and they should certainly pay for her spay! I am sorry that you now have to go through that anxiety:( But, let us know when it is and we will be nervous together!!;)

momcat
05-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi! You definitely should call that shelter. Something obviously is wrong here. Do you have anything in writing to verify their claim that she was spayed? You have every reason to be angry about this and that shelter SHOULD be held accountable! Poor kitty, please let us know what the shelter has to say about this.....

catnapper
05-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Rut-roh. that is definately an oversight on their part. I'd definately give them a call and see if they'll make good on their spay.

Give Abby a kiss for me. Poor little girl.

furrykidsmother
05-27-2005, 11:52 AM
I would certainly call the shelter and inform them of the "oversight" on their part. Let us know what the shelter has to say. Please let us know when she goes in to have her spay and we will keep paws and fingers crossed and send prayers to sweet Abby.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
That shelter is so much guilty :mad: ! I would send them the bill for sure!!

wolfsoul
05-27-2005, 03:46 PM
That shelter had better pay for that! That sounds like Tikeyas_mom's situation. When they adopted Fuzzy, they were told he was a spayed female. Then he started spraying everything in sight, and one day saw him doing the dirty with another cat...He was definatly NOT a spayed female! :eek:

NoahsMommy
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh my!! :eek: They had better pay for her spay if she isn't already!!

Any word today on her results??

Cookiebaker
05-27-2005, 04:05 PM
It could be that she was spayed, but they goofed the surgery. Our Marigold was spayed before we adopted her (has a bad scar from a badly sewed up operation), but she still goes into heat 1-2 times a year. We recently started Feliway, and that has done wonders as far as behavioural issues are concerned.

{{Hugs}} to you -- I know how frustrating a cat in heat can be! :eek: and I hope everything turns out well in the long run!

Uabassoon
05-27-2005, 04:33 PM
To give the shelter some credit, it is hard to tell if a female has been previously spayed. If your kitty was an owner drop off, they may have lied and said that she was spayed. With male cats it's quite easy, you just look in the back and call tell if they have been snipped! Females however will all that fur, it can be difficult to find the scar from the surgery.

However I do agree that they should pay for this mistake. Good luck, hopefully your shelter is responsible and will do the right thing. I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you :(

caseysmom
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
When I adopted Casey they told me they felt a scar and her owner who dropped her off said she was spayed but they told me to please watch for signs of heat.

Casey is a dog but its probably the same thing, they can't be 100 percent sure unless they did it.

AlleyCat
05-27-2005, 04:49 PM
An update: Our vet said as much that this could be a botched spay, that perhaps some tissue was left behind. I've called numerous times and left messages and e-mails, no response yet. They're strictly a foster-home shelter so I believe they don't have a central location or a live person manning phone calls. I'll keep working on them.

Since all our kittens were spayed early on I've never experienced one in heat, so it's been interesting to say the least. All day yesterday and today I was hearing a beeping-type noise and figured it was the smoke alarm emitting low-battery warnings. Being that I'm hearing-impaired, I didn't figure out until today that it is Abby! I heard the "beeping" and saw her mouth moving at the same time, oh ... she's meowing !! :)

The shelter is doing 3 Petsmart adoption days tomorrow so I'll head off to one of them and see if I can't find somebody to talk to.

kimlovescats
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Poor Abby ... and poor YOU .... kitties in heat can get pretty annoying!:rolleyes: I sure hope you can get someone at the adoption center to help you out!;)

QueenScoopalot
05-27-2005, 10:55 PM
It's so odd to hear about a "botched spay"! How can they mess up taking out a sack, and a few strands? :confused: :confused: Usually when they take it out..it's OUT! :eek: I hope you don't have to pay! ;)

AlleyCat
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Update 5/31: I did get a call from the director of that shelter. I now know which vet she was "spayed" at, and the director put in a call to that vet to find out what's going on. Hopefully I'll have some answers soon! In the meantime Abby's doing fine, still in heat - she's so cute the way she "creeps" along the floor and wiggles her butt whenever she's spoken to !! :)

kimlovescats
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MommyOf3cats
Update 5/31: I did get a call from the director of that shelter. I now know which vet she was "spayed" at, and the director put in a call to that vet to find out what's going on. Hopefully I'll have some answers soon! In the meantime Abby's doing fine, still in heat - she's so cute the way she "creeps" along the floor and wiggles her butt whenever she's spoken to !! :)

Glad to hear you are getting some response. Hopefully you will have some ANSWERS soon as well. SURELY this vet will actually spay her this time!!! :rolleyes:

momcat
05-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi and thanks for the update! Poor Abby, I hope she's alright otherwise. At great long last it looks like you're about to get some answers about this. My big hope is this isn't veterinary malpractice of some sort. Keep us up as things develop? Lovies to Abby.....